News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Seasons influencing gameplay

Started by ojii, March 02, 2012, 01:24:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ojii

The discussion in http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=9439.0 gave me an idea:

How about making seasons/altitude actually influence gameplay?

The main idea I have here is that vehicles (road/train) should be slower in Winter if there's snow on their altitude. The reasoning behind this is that in real life, in high altitude during winter, the road conditions limit the speed at which you can drive.

A way to do this would be to have a "max speed in snow" for each type of track/road. So for example a cheap road might be 60km/h under normal conditions, but 40 km/h if there's snow and so on.

This would further shift the balance towards tunnels through mountains as they would not be affected by this, so if this were to be implemented, the costs of tunnels should probably be increased to still keep mountain roads viable.

I understand that this is a more complex request and that it will make balancing even harder, but I just thought I'd share this idea with you guys.

Fabio

Personally I like this idea like any aiming to transform eyecandy elements to gameplay. It would also push cornering a mountain instead of crossing it.

kierongreen

Not sure this would work well in game. It would mean you would have to have spare capacity in summer or vary vehicle numbers at different times of year... Other requests along these lines include variation in output from industries and number of passengers. All of these introduce more micromanagement  which takes away from the strategic aspects of the game.