News:

Want to praise Simutrans?
Your feedback is important for us ;D.

Early game aircraft profits

Started by dannyliux, October 06, 2017, 01:28:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dannyliux

I've picked up Simutrans after a long hiatus, and just started a passenger air route, which somehow cannot turn a profit.
I am using a Douglas DC3, for a 564 km flight (incl taxiing), which gives 3270.55 in profit and 4173.60 in costs, which is a loss of almost 1k per flight. I calculated the per km revenue to be ~5.79 which is lower than the 7.40 per km cost.
Just like to know, is this supposed to be intended behaviour (early game airlines are supposed to be a loss)? Or is there a bug? My airmail plane is turning a profit without trouble.
I am using Pak128.Britain 1.17 on Simutrans 120.1.2
Thanks!

jamespetts

Welcome to the forum! Sorry that you are having trouble.

Unfortunately, the balancing of the Standard version of this pakset was never completed because the last remaining developer retired owing to childcare commitments: see here for details.

The Simutrans-Extended version of this pakset is still actively developed, although the balancing for that has not been completed owing to the need to complete work on balance critical features first. However, one of those features, currently under development, being passenger and mail classes, should help early aircraft to be more profitable with small loads of passengers.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

DrSuperGood

If there is a maintainer I am sure they would not mind merging in a patch to fix problems like this, as the process may only take a few seconds.

jamespetts

Quote from: DrSuperGood on October 06, 2017, 03:56:24 PM
If there is a maintainer I am sure they would not mind merging in a patch to fix problems like this, as the process may only take a few seconds.

There is no current active maintainer for the Standard version of this pakset: The Hood retired part-way through the balancing project, sadly.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

DrSuperGood

So who controls the source code now?!

jamespetts

Quote from: DrSuperGood on October 06, 2017, 08:05:06 PM
So who controls the source code now?!

I do not think that there have been any updates of the Standard version of Pak128.Britain for some time. I think that Kieron Green and The Hood still have access to the sources and could modify things if they were minded to do so, but are not minded to do so.

dannyliux

Quote from: jamespetts on October 06, 2017, 01:35:56 PM
Welcome to the forum! Sorry that you are having trouble.

Unfortunately, the balancing of the Standard version of this pakset was never completed because the last remaining developer retired owing to childcare commitments: see here for details.

The Simutrans-Extended version of this pakset is still actively developed, although the balancing for that has not been completed owing to the need to complete work on balance critical features first. However, one of those features, currently under development, being passenger and mail classes, should help early aircraft to be more profitable with small loads of passengers.

Thank you for the info, do you happen to know which paksets are balanced or actively maintained? For standard and extended. Sorry, have not been keeping up for a while now.

jamespetts

I am not sure of the full list for Standard, but I know that Pak128 and Pak64 are the most well known paksets and are actively maintained. You can have a look at the pakset subforums on this forum to get an idea of how active that they are.

For Extended, there is no fully balanced pakset currently as further development is necessary to make the game balanceable, such as the passenger and mail classes that is currently under development.