News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

How to show the compass?

Started by Vladki, January 07, 2016, 09:54:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vladki

In the new release announcement there is

A new compass will be shown on the minimap when used with the new pak64 release.

How do I implement it in other paksets? I checked the last svn commit of pak64, but did not find it.

TurfIt

r1712 was where prissi added it to pak64.

sdog

I understand that pak64 r1712 has not been released yet?

In that case the release message ought to be changed from 'new' to 'future release' of pak64.

edit removed a section as it was not up to forum standards with regard to respect and friendliness – sorry.

TurfIt

pak64 120-1-2 that came with this clusterf release is off r1787...

It would be nice to have more frequent stable releases. That's why I arranged to be able to do it myself. Obviously some unforseen problems... I've been using this compiler setup for years, .exes ran on 10+ different systems, all WinXP to Win7 for Window though. Next time will surely be different. Likely not me given how this worked - or didn't work rather.

Edit: obviously I seen what you removed before you did... I find no issues with what you had stated.

sdog

Quote from: TurfIt on January 07, 2016, 10:17:42 PM
Edit: obviously I seen what you removed before you did... I find no issues with what you had stated.
In that case sorry, it was not inappropriate for what I said, but who said it and who would be the recipient. Only children, idiots, and those responsible state the obvious. Since I cannot get free rides in the subway, and I'm not a dev, only one category remains.

Quotesome unforseen problems...
Please don't blame yourself. You have 3(+1) backends, 3 OS targets, (an umpteen number of legacy OSes), an inconceivable number of flags that are doing different things for different backends. Last but not least three major compilers (+legacy),
On top you need to support the cutting edge and hardware from the last millenium.

It would be nice to have more frequent stable releases. That's why I arranged to be able to do it myself.
This is, I think, indeed important. However, regardless of how often and by whom Simutrans is released. (I.e, not addressing you personally) It would be good if the procedure could be changed a bit, involving non-public wider testing, and coordinated way to announce and release it on the different channels we currently use. With Steam comming up (insha'Allah) a bumpy release could trigger nasty reactions.

Leartin

I created a compass of my own based on the information I could find in the pak64 repository. However, only upon testing I became aware that the smaller minimap-compass is also used on the button to turn the map, which does not quite fit with pak192.comics style. Buttons are supposed to be painted with a vanishing-point perspective, wheras the compass appears alongside parallel perspective objects.

Could the compass icon be seperated from the minimap compass? Or could the main compass be used as a rotate-button? (in that case, a button in the menu would be obsolete)

Dwachs

It could be changed in the way that the compass image is used only if no other icon is defined.
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

Leartin

It could, however the compass is currently drawn over the defined icon.
It could still be done, since it is possible to define background images for menus which appear behind transparent buttons. The loss in this case would amount to a circular arrow which is currently the pak64 compass icon, which is added to the compass arrow.