News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

Early Paddle Steamer too slow?

Started by Benedikt, June 02, 2016, 09:38:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Benedikt

The Early Paddle Steamer is introduced in 1812. It carries passengers and has a top speed of 10 kph. The Early Cargo Paddle Steamer is introduced in 1814. It has a similar design and use and has a top speed of 15 kph. In my opinion the Passenger steamer should have the same speed as the Cargo Steamer. At the moment, the Norfolk Wherry is faster and can traverse the same channel types, if I'm not mistaken. This makes the Passenger Steamer a bit pointless in this period.

jamespetts

Does anyone have any idea at what speeds that paddle steamers of this era actually travelled?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Benedikt

After a bit of Wikipedia research, 10-15 kph is an accurate number for the time. It obviously depended on the current, something that Simutrans can't take into account, I assume. I think we need to compare it to other vehicles like the Stage coach and the sailing boat. The fastest sailing boat which can go into smaller channels is the Norfolk Wherry with 12 kph. The horse-drawn passenger boat has 7 kph max speed.

I think river boats with sails should be significantly slower than steam-powered ones. It is very difficult to sail on rivers. I assume Simutrans can't simulate a slower transport on river and channels for these types. But at least make the passenger Steamer as fast as the Cargo Steamers.

jamespetts

15km/h does seem sensible for both, in that case. That appears to have been the position for some time in any event in the Experimental version of the pakset.

As to the speed on rivers and canals, the rivers and canals can have their own speed limits, but this applies equally to all traffic on them.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.