News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

Effects of crowded stops

Started by passengerpigeon, May 16, 2017, 09:57:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

passengerpigeon

Hello all,
On my recently-started save file, several of my stops have become crowded. Should I invest in expanding these stops in order to increase revenue? In other words, do crowded stops drive revenue down, or is it just a realism thing to not have 10,000 people crammed onto 2 platforms?
Thanks,
Passengerpigeon.

Combuijs

Stations that are overcrowded don't pick up any passengers from their surroundings. So if your station is in the middle of nowhere nothing too serious happens, if your station is in an inhabited area, no passengers are generated from that area.

Some settings influence overcrowding behaviour:

There are two of them

# things to overcrowded destinations won't load if active (default off)
avoid_overcrowding = 0

# do not create goods/passenger/mail when the only route is over an overcrowded stop
no_routing_over_overcrowded = 0

Both are default disabled.

If avoid_overcrowding is enabled then there won't be any passengers/goods/mail generated from every area on the map to the area in which the station is.

If no_routing_over_overcrowded is enabled also transfer stations which are crowded won't take any passengers/goods/mail, they magically disappear at the station before it... (I think...  :o )

Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

Ters

Overcrowding does not cost money, but they might still have negative economic consequences. If you have a stop served by two lines, but one line isn't keeping up, the stop will become crowded with passengers for that line. Passengers wanting to take the other line, will "go to the stop", find it overcrowded and "decide to stay at home" instead. (This is the only time they make a decision on whether and where to go, then they stick with it forever.) So the vehicles on that line will lose potential passengers, which in turn might mean that they are running too empty to make a profit.

ampersand

Quote from: passengerpigeon on May 16, 2017, 09:57:18 AM
Should I invest in expanding these stops in order to increase revenue? In other words, do crowded stops drive revenue down
Take a look into reasons of overcrowding of any particular stop like Ters wrote above. If the stop is not an interchange where lots of jumbojets spit out hundreds of passengers waiting afterwards to catch a bus that is leaving once a week that probably expanding the stop will not be the best solution. May be first try to improve the lines that could move overflooding load out of the overcrowded stop. Only if this doesn't help for loads of cargo arrives to the stop and is then carried away correctly and timely, expansion will be a good measure. But if the reason of overcrowding persists, expansion will help for a few days only.
Look into stop details to find where most cargo is waiting to go.