News:

The Forum Rules and Guidelines
Our forum has Rules and Guidelines. Please, be kind and read them ;).

More city and street names

Started by MCollett, April 21, 2013, 02:05:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MCollett

In case they may be of use either to the pak maintainers or to individual players, I attach the lists of city and street names that I have recently been using with Pak128.Britain.

The city names are based on a list of all contemporary cities and towns in England (courtesy of Wikipedia), with some changes:

• where the modern administrative unit is jointly named for two historically and geographically separate towns, I have split it into two separate town names (e.g. Frinton and Walton);
  • apart from a few particularly well-known cases (e.g. East Grinstead, West Ham, South Shields) I have removed most compass bearings;
  • I have removed trailing (but not preceeding) 'Market's, to avoid the generation of stop names such as 'Downham Market Market'.
The resulting list has 976 entries.

The street names are extracted from the Ordnance Survey's gazetteer of all streets in Great Britain; specifically, they are the names that appear at least 8 times in the gazetteer.   Note that this does not necessarily mean there are 8 distinct streets with that name, since one street may appear multiple times if it changes road number or crosses multiple local authority areas.  Some further automated filtering has been done, but there are probably still a few undesirable oddities on the list that I have failed to notice, since it has almost 15 thousand entries.

Best wishes,
Matthew

The Hood

Thanks for this. Should provide more variety to city and street names.