News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

Keys for underground mode

Started by jamespetts, June 20, 2009, 01:21:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamespetts

I understand that, in the latest version of Pak64, the keys for the sliced underground mode increasing and decreasing of levels are ( and ) respectively. Might I suggest that these be swapped with the keys for increasing and decreasing the brightness, being + and - respectively?

Changing levels in underground mode is likely to be an operation that users need to perform regularly, and, as such, having the relatively unintuitive ( and ) keys is not very helpful. Worse than that, the ( and ) require SHIFT to be applied, making it very awkward to use regularly.

Conversely, players rarely want to change the lighting level manually. Indeed, some find it confusing that the lighting level changes when the press the + or - keys. It would make it much easier for players to understand what is happening if the + and - keys were used for the sliced underground mode, and leave the ( and ) keys for changing the lighting level.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

prissi

The + and - keys are historically. They could be swapped for () indeed. However, with many laptops they lack direct acess to HOME/END, and those keys are not present even on some (albeit mostly obsolete) unix workstations (as opposed to ()).

jamespetts

I don't quite follow I'm afraid - why does the fact that laptops don't have direct access to HOME and END mean that the ( and ) keys are preferable to the + and - keys?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Paretje

Is it meant to use the key-combination SHIFT + ( ? Then it's unusable with an AZERTY keyboard. since that gives as result 5.
Is this already included in 102.1?

Dwachs

it is in the nightlies, since rev 2521.
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

Paretje