News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

Experimental Launch Problem

Started by Taurus, April 28, 2015, 10:45:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taurus

I installed a fresh download of ST Experimental and the 64bit version did not want to start. At first it said that I was missing 2 .dll files. After downloading said files it launches but crashes with a standart Win8 Error (program not responding). Any common reasons for that?

jamespetts

Does the 32 bit version work? It is generally recommended to use that on Windows.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Taurus

I seem to have found the reason for the crash. Apparently Experimental does not start if there is no expeimental pakset avaliable. I was starting with the normal pak192.comic, but when I started with the pak.ngb from Carl it worked.
I am also using the 64bit version because the 32bit version seems to be unable to load the UK map from Carl.
But thanks for the help anyway.

waerth

I am in my twice a year simutrans playing period and have been using 64bit as I love megamaps. Current map is 3gb RAM and works fine (sofar). I forgot how many cities it has but somewere around 500 or so. They are growing like crazy as I started in 1828 and I managed to connect all of them by carriage. Am now busy building ferries and the first raillines to cope with the huge stacks of mail and in some cases pax. Will see when my pc blows up over this one.

Still wish we could have bigger maps though :p

DrSuperGood

The 64 bit version is not recommended because it is a bit slower than the 32bit version. This is due to memory bandwidth and 64bit builds having larger structures (pointers bigger, bigger struct alignment size etc). The 32 bit version uses noticeably less memory as a result as well.

QuoteStill wish we could have bigger maps though :p
Does on really need a map larger than 7,000*2,000? The server map is so massive it is really hard to do stuff.

waerth

I am a nutcase when it comes to bigger maps LOL. I want to build a railline spanning 1500km's :) Also I want a bigger map because all the cities grow attached to eachother so soon. So leaving the number of cities at the same rate with a twice as big map :)

W

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Try a very narrow/thin map.

I've done 64x8192 and that was nice. I've also done 8x8192 and that was also fun. But that was on old hardware. If you have something newer than 2007, you might well be able to go twice as far :)

I also greatly increased the minimum distance for factories :)