News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Cargo delivered at industry bug

Started by Jando, April 18, 2017, 11:49:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamespetts

As with any fix, it will be available in the next nightly build after it is announced, in this case, that available from to-morrow morning onwards.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Jando

Greetings, James, and many thanks that you are looking into this issue.

I took my small test map (http://files.simutrans.com/index.php/s/aeu169qWYqpA1Uy) with grain farm, forest/sawmill, orchard, brewery and pub in 1810 and let the game run in fast-forward for 6 game-months.

First of all the good information:
1. Small consumers are consuming again and are consuming the correct amount.
2. Small producers are producing again and are producing the correct amount.

Some issues still exist:
1. A save/load-cycle will set the internal storage of all industries to zero. Note: internal industry storage, items stored in stop are fine.
2. Industries demand more cargo than they can consume. In fact they seem to demand all cargo the supplier produces. Thus input storage at industries builds up over time.
3. The orchard is doing funny things. It has no consumer for fruits and a very small internal storage of 2 crates. Once that storage is full it will flip between the numbers 1 and 2 every half second or so. The forest/sawmill has no consumer for planks as well, but a larger industry storage of 10 planks and does not show that flipping.

Will make another test-run with my normal game now (1940s, more varied industries) and report back later today. Thanks again, really much appreciated!

Edit: 2nd test run with normal game:
1. Save/load cycle same problem, all industry storage at zero after loading.
2. Demanding too much: I'm wondering whether that is an effect caused by zero in storage. Industries seem to demand more supplies when they have zero in stock?
3. Flipping numbers. A few small industries show this. Only seen it with small industries. Having no consumer does not seem to matter, have seen it with another small producer with active consumer as well (flipping 8 and 9 a few times per RL second in this case).

kittens45

Quote from: Jando on August 07, 2017, 12:28:27 PM
Greetings, James, and many thanks that you are looking into this issue.

I took my small test map (http://files.simutrans.com/index.php/s/aeu169qWYqpA1Uy) with grain farm, forest/sawmill, orchard, brewery and pub in 1810 and let the game run in fast-forward for 6 game-months.

First of all the good information:
1. Small consumers are consuming again and are consuming the correct amount.
2. Small producers are producing again and are producing the correct amount.

Some issues still exist:
1. A save/load-cycle will set the internal storage of all industries to zero. Note: internal industry storage, items stored in stop are fine.
2. Industries demand more cargo than they can consume. In fact they seem to demand all cargo the supplier produces. Thus input storage at industries builds up over time.
3. The orchard is doing funny things. It has no consumer for fruits and a very small internal storage of 2 crates. Once that storage is full it will flip between the numbers 1 and 2 every half second or so. The forest/sawmill has no consumer for planks as well, but a larger industry storage of 10 planks and does not show that flipping.

Will make another test-run with my normal game now (1940s, more varied industries) and report back later today. Thanks again, really much appreciated!

Edit: 2nd test run with normal game:
1. Save/load cycle same problem, all industry storage at zero after loading.
2. Demanding too much: I'm wondering whether that is an effect caused by zero in storage. Industries seem to demand more supplies when they have zero in stock?
3. Flipping numbers. A few small industries show this. Only seen it with small industries. Having no consumer does not seem to matter, have seen it with another small producer with active consumer as well (flipping 8 and 9 a few times per RL second in this case).

has the save/load been fixed yet?

Jando

Please be patient, kittens45.

I'm sure James wants this issue fixed as much as we want that. But some things just don't happen fast and need time. I'm sure the issue is pretty high on James'  priority list and he will inform us when there's any progress.

jamespetts

Thank you for your reports: I think that I have managed to fix the issue with the storage on loading/saving now. Would you be able to re-test? I should be grateful.

I will look into the other issues presently.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Jando

Quote from: jamespetts on August 11, 2017, 10:38:19 PM
Thank you for your reports: I think that I have managed to fix the issue with the storage on loading/saving now. Would you be able to re-test? ...

Hello James, and thanks again. Tests re-run with test map at http://files.simutrans.com/index.php/s/aeu169qWYqpA1Uy

Findings:
1. Storage number of items produced at an industry is correct now after loading a game.
2. Storage number of items consumed at an industry still shows 0 after loading a game.

How to reproduce:
1. Load above saved game.
2. Open brewery window, fast forward, very soon grain will get delivered, wait until grain shows up in storage at brewery.
3. Save game. Load saved game.
4. Number of grain in storage at brewery will be zero.

Same thing happens with cider in storage at pub.

jamespetts

Thank you for the report: I had not realised that consumer/producer storage was separate in this regard. I have now applied the same fix to consumer storage as producer storage - I should be grateful if you could re-test to confirm whether this has been fixed.

Edit: I think that I have now fixed the problem regarding the goods in transit: this required a re-calibration of the system in many different places. This will result in different (often lower) in transit numbers, so make sure that the maximum load values are now not set too high (as they are in the Industry saved game, resulting in deadlocks in some places).

Edit 2: I think that I have fixed the oscillation issue, too; I should be grateful if you could re-test this also.

Jando

This looks very good now, James, many thanks!

- No error in storage numbers found. Save/load cycle works well.
- No error in industry demand and in-transit goods found.
- Oscillation issue fixed as well.

Good work! I'd say this can go to the solved bug reports now. :)

And aye, I'm aware of the low demand numbers resulting in some freight lines running at a loss, esp. in early years and/or to small consumers - but I see that not as a bug but as a balance issue, to be addressed during industry balance. For now industry seems to work according to the numbers in the industry window - and that's a big step forward. Many thanks again!

jamespetts

Excellent, thank you for checking.