News:

Want to praise Simutrans?
Your feedback is important for us ;D.

Charset change between 7489 to 7503?

Started by Václav, February 28, 2015, 02:12:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Václav

I don't know if it is a bug or feature changed in some version after 7489 ...

I play with czech citylist - and there citylist is coded in latin2. When I run game with version 7489, all cities have readable names with our special characters (č, ž, ř ... and so on). But when I run game with 7503 or newer, all special characters are replaced with signs that make names un-readable. And what is worse, some signs (Č) make problems in case of their rewriting - because between them and rest of text appears space that cannot be deleted.

So, there it seems like Č eský Dub instead Český Dub ... or so.

Chybami se člověk učí - ale někteří lidé jsou nepoučitelní

Ters

The commit message for revision 7492 seems to indicate that Simutrans switched to being all Unicode. That seems to be the only relevant change between 7489 and 7503. It doesn't appear to touch editing text in game, but that might be the problem.

Václav

So, all in UTF-8 ... Uff ... May it be. Probably no more problems with switching between (at least some) languages. But what that undeletable space between some characters?

TurfIt

It appears that only the cyr.bdf font is now used. The Ccaron character in that font is encoded with width 9 - hence the 2 extra blank columns of pixels on the right side of the character. So either the characters in this font need to be fixed, or font selection ability needs to be re-added...

Ters

Wasn't there some work on supporting truetype fonts? Although there might not be many, if any, single font supporting all regularly used glyphs. (And there is LTR vs RTL languages. Does Simutrans support RTL at all?)

prissi

Simutrans does not support RTL languages. TTF is only supported characterwise, using Freetype. Not really finished completely.

I submitted a smaller C with v on top, if this is the offendic character.

Václav

Who writes about right-to-left fonts? Czech language (as many other ones used in Europe) is left-to-right.

An_dz

These scripts:
Arabic, Hebrew, N'ko, Samaritan, Syriac, Mandaic, Mende, Thaana/Thâna & Tifinar.

Václav

Quote from: An_dz on June 01, 2015, 04:51:23 PM
Arabic, Hebrew, N'ko, Samaritan, Syriac, Mandaic, Mende, Thaana/Thâna & Tifinar.
If I am not wrong, I did not see these languages in list of available ones. So, ... I don't see matter of discussion - for this time.

Let's change it in any way to correct that problem at least partly - to Czech language (and may be also some other ones) would be usable again.

An_dz

Nobody was discussing RTL scripts, only Ters asked and prissi answered.

And prissi has already uploaded an updated file.

And I listed scripts and not languages, still there are no languages using them.

Václav

Quote from: An_dz on June 13, 2015, 07:01:31 PM
And prissi has already uploaded an updated file.
So, it (problem with font) should be OK?

prissi

Václav

... and where to download that corrected file?

Ters

Quote from: Václav on June 21, 2015, 06:11:15 AM
... and where to download that corrected file?

Download a Nightly build. That's the place to get cutting edge Simutrans. (r7544 is the latest change at the time I'm writing this, and coincidentally also the change in cyr.bdf.)