News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

pak128: Cotton Plantation, How to pick up cotton

Started by RAJensen, May 09, 2017, 07:35:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAJensen

Hello.

I'm a totally newbie to Simutrans, so i'm trying my way around.
But i'm getting pretty stuck on this one:

How do i pick up cotton from the cotton plantation?
I've build a train goods platform and the train did't get any cotton.
Then i build a road and a loading bay, but no mather what truck i use, i don't get any cotton.
So can someone tell me what truck / train car is used to pick up cotton or what i'm doing wrong?
I provided at screenshot.

In advance, thank you.

Ters

The typical things new players do wrong:

• The two industries do not have a contract. Check either the supplier's or consumer's info window to see if the other industry is listed as consumer or supplier respectively.
  • Industry is not actually within the stop's catchment area. Check the industry's info window to see if the stop is listed. If it is not, build a closer stop. Farms seem to require that the stop is near the main building, which might mean that you have to remove some fields to get there.
  • If goods are supposed to be transloaded along the way, check that the stop is actually just one stop (with multiple platforms, piers and/or loading bays as applicable), and not two different ones.
  • If there are other lines serving the consumer, the consumer might be full and therefore not ordering anymore. Wait until it has consumed enough to start ordering again. For industries in the middle of a production chain, that might mean that you have to start shipping whatever it produces to the next industry in the chain.

It should be possible to find these answers with a search.

RAJensen

Thank yout for the reply.

I've checked out the supplier line and the trainline is from and to the two industries.
But even not from the stop at the farm to the railroad stop, the cotten is moved.
The road stop is 2 tiles from the farm house.
Also i did a lot of searching before this post without any result. I still haven't found any tutorials that describe witch products is moved with the different type of cars. Most tutorials found is very shortly explained and most searches end up in discussion about what should be made in game or "is it a bug" :-D
So question is still standing: What car / truck type is used to move cotton?

Best regards.

Vladki

Click on the cotton plantation, to find out which type of goods is cotton (i think piece or "farm" goods).
Cargo will not appear on the stop until you send appropriate vehicles on their way.

RAJensen

Still haven't any luck.
I've placed a road and a loading bay right beside the farm house and used a truck for deliverables.
But not even that helps. There are 800 T of cotton on the farm, but still it is not loaded to the loadbay.
So do anyone have an ideer on how to get it ti work? :)

Combuijs

OK, you transport the cotton from the cotton farm to... what exactly? Note that source and destiny should be connected before any cotton starts to move.

Further, check Ters point one by one
Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

RAJensen

I want it transportet to a Textile Factory.
In the cotton plantation window, there is 1 textile factory, so i build a traintrack from plantation to the factory.
Put up a train goods platform right beside the plantation but did't get any cotton.
So i build a road with goods bay in front of the plantation and pick up the right truck (Deliveryable) but no cotton.
Then i build the road into the plantation house and put up goods bay next to the house, so the truck could move cotton to the goods depot next to the railway platform, but no cotton have been moved?? :-(

Edit: There are no cotton storaged at the goods bay at any time.
I've got a tree plantation and there the trees are at storage until pick-up, so now i wunder: Is there a bug in pak128 regarding cotton plantation.

Leartin

You did not get any cotton because the cotton does not know where to go. You need a complete connection - so you need to build a train station next to the textile factory and tell a train to go between cotton plantation and textile factory. If you do, the cotton knows where to go, and can start moving.

Think about it - the way you currently set it up, you would transport cotton to the station, and just leave it there to rot. It would never get to it's destination, since there is no train to transport it. Why would anyone pay you to transport cotton to a random station?

RAJensen

I did all of that.
I've have figured out how to make a complete cain of delivery.
Just have build a line from a grain farm to flourmill to food factory and that is working.
With the cotton line, train stop at the goods station and wait for cotton and the truck i right beside the cotton plantation and waiting for cotton, but don't get any.
The goods bay next to the cotton plantation, don't get any cotton.
The goods bay i have next to a tree plantation, placed in one corner of the plantation, is getting wood to storage, so truck can pick it up.
So i find i very strange, that it's not working with cotton.  ???

An_dz

Upload your savegame and send it here, it will be easier for us to spot the problem if we play it.

RAJensen

It's unfortunaaly to late.
As the game did the same with a sheep farm. No mather where i put up the loading bay, there was covering the farmhouse, then i got enough, so i deleted the saved game!
Also i'm considering to delete SimuTrans due to the trouble of getting simple things to work. The tutorials is not very helpfull, but when i've build 2 chains that's work and suddently 2 new chains won't work,
i start to think is a bug in the game. :(

An_dz

Well, without the save we can't really know what was wrong, even if a bug. I believe you were not getting the right vehicles as many other players don't have such problem.

Thankfully Yona is working on a tutorial and it seems very complete, whenever it's finished I'm sure it will help a lot.

RAJensen

I'm pretty sure that i used the rigth vehicle.
I picked one after being looking into to the farm window. With the cooton plantation, i've even try out serveral vehicles.
Also i ensured that train wagons was of the right type. :-)

Ves

Unfortunately Simutrans has a bit steep learning curve, and also lacks in game tutorials (although I think that is being worked on this very moment!).
Are you sure the factories had contracts with each other?
The way to check that is to open the factory window and click the little triangle next to the suppliers. The factories the map is centering on when clicking have a contract with this factory. All the other factories on the map have no contract with this factory. I don't know if you in fact did that, in which case the problem of cause would be elsewhere.

Give Simutrans another chance, it truly is an increadible game! :)

RAJensen

Yes i did check that supplier and factory had a contract. This i learned the hard way! :)
Also i did double check. First: the Food factory pionted to the sheep farm and sheep farm pointed to the food factory.
Then i build a route half acroos the map. Then buy vehicles with the right parameters end then make the lines.
Each of the times (cotton plantation and sheep farm) the vehicles going to goods bay and waiting for load.
But either the cotton plantation or sheep farm was pushing the products to the goods bay.
I had a grain farm delevered to food factory and Tree planatation delivered with trucks to a saw mill via a train station and saw mill did deliver to a whole sale.
That's is frustrating, when the next 2 line won't work. :)

Ves

ah, ok! just doubble checking :)

And yes, it sure is frustrating when it doesnt work for no apparent reason!
Next time, keep the savegame, so others can also see what is going on :)

An_dz

Quote from: Ves on May 11, 2017, 02:34:54 PM
Next time, keep the savegame, so others can also see what is going on :)
As we already learned Simutrans ;D