News:

Want to praise Simutrans?
Your feedback is important for us ;D.

Train routing problem

Started by 80s, September 30, 2010, 12:08:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

80s

Here is my problem;

Every now and again a train will reach a "Choose Platform" signal at a station it is not scheduled to stop at. Instead of just routing straight through the station and carrying on with it's journey, the train waits at the "Choose Platform" signal until it's ENTIRE route to it's next scheduled stop is free, regardless of any pre-signals, signals etc. on it's route.

This is especially problematic when the route is very long and the problem occurs at the start of the route.

After a long time of waiting, the train backs up all the traffic behind it and they all become "stuck". I have to send them all to a depot and Start them again to resolve this.

I've tried removing the problem train and replacing it, but that does not work. I'm very sure all my signalling is correct, other trains have no problems, it's just certain trains.

Is this common? Can anyone help? It's driving me nuts!

I'm on the latest stable release of Simutrans and pak128.Britain, on Ubuntu 10.10 if that helps

I'd attach a savegame but it's too large :(

Dwachs

- deleted stupid post -
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

80s

Thank you for the quick reply. I thought I had all my End Choose signals down correctly, I'm in the habit of placing End Choose straight after every platform.

I will double check my line and throw down a few more End Choose signals and see if that helps.

Ok, I have a screenshot of a train being a problem. As you can see, it's waiting at the Choose Signal to reserve the entire length of track. I have an End Choose signal after the station, but it still won't carry on as normal.
Problem train

DirrrtyDirk

Unless the system of choose-signals and end-of-choose-signals was changed in the past, the end-of-choose-signal is not the solution to your problem. It just eliminates the search for paralell platforms of the same station, but the train will nonetheless still aim for the platform selected in the schedule/line - and try to reserve the whole way.

Non-stopping trains and choose-signals should be avoided if possible, since they don't mix well (as you have just found out). You can however try and set a waypoint in the non-stopping train's schedule/line on the tracks right after the station with the choose signal.That used to be the only way you could make setups like this work. Not sure if anything was changed there though...

Oh and please edit rather than double-post (as is stated in the forum rules), thanks!  ;)

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

80s

Thanks, waypoints solved the issue for now, I'll try and avoid routing non-stop trains through stations in the future :)

ӔO

you can also try out the latest nightly versions, which have a feature that allows choose signals to be treated as regular signals if there is another choose signal along the path.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart: