News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Pipelines

Started by Banksie_82, February 02, 2009, 03:06:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

werl

My view, the pipes could transport water to factories to increase production. similar to power line.  ;D

Have thought about pipes before, but dismissed the idea.
C:\dos
C:\dos\run
run\dos\run

wlindley

Hmm... in some of the SimCity versions, cities needed water pipes... the same could be true here, where towns need both an electric transformer and a water-tower inside city limits to exceed some population threshhold.  Water, unlike electricity, could also be supplied in tank vehicles.

One step further, cities could also require certain levels of watern, food and goods to continue their population.  At some point, though, we get into city-simulation more than transport-simulation.

werl

C:\dos
C:\dos\run
run\dos\run

Hitardo

What do you think about a pipeline?

A pipeline, with stations build near a factoy (Oil Well), and going to the other station, near the other factory (Oil Refinery).
Much like the High Voltage system, but with fluid (Crude Oil and Fuel Oil).

I think this will be pretty good :)
But not possible with Petrol and other stuff.

What do you think?
Always looking for new things, new knowledge.

Ters

It's been thought of and discussed several times before. Personally, I find it boring.

Combuijs

Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

Hitardo

Ok!
Thanks.
I will give it a lOOk :)

Best Regards from Portugal!!
Always looking for new things, new knowledge.

Fabio

Quote from: Combuijs on November 30, 2012, 06:27:22 PM
See the discussion here: http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=1413

Threads merged.

Honestly I've been all the time a big supporter of pipelines, hince I'm just glad this topic was bumped. :D

I see them as a complement to existing transport types.
For this reason they should have high cost, high maintainance and revenues just enough to cover maintainance.
Imagine you get a refinery 3-4 levels uphill at mere 8 -10 tiles from the shore. How do you supply it from an oil rig? Do you build a canal climbing that much? Do you make such a short line with a train or many, many trucks?
There a pipeline would be just perfect. The trick would be to make them poorly attractive from the revenue point of view, just to discourage them on long distance hauls, but convenient for short segments.

isidoro

But in RL pipelines are certainly long...

Fabio

Sure! I wouldn't mind long pipelines in Simutrans as well.
My idea was to address the concerns of those who don't like them.
Sure enough they must be expensive, though.

Zeno

IMHO, pipes as a concept do automate transportation by replacing one or more vehicles with pumps. Thus I can't find them interesting at all for a transport simulation game...  ???

Edit: Let me add that what you fabio explain is a good reasoning, but would be a rather small percentage of the normal use; moreover, this has been discussed a zillion times...

An_dz

Just to include that I'm with Zeno.

Fabio

So, nobody here likes pipelines? ::'(

Obviously there might be many other priorities, but if they were possible at a moderate effort (e.g. recycling powerlines code), they would be an interesting addition (and also covering only a fraction of current transports) and then who doesn't like them or finds them boring won't use them. :confused:

ӔO

IMO, pipelines are already achievable with waterways.

Slow, under 20km/h, with near infinite capacity. It's more like 15km/h for most lines.
The only catch is that ships need a return journey, where as pipelines are one way. (unless you run two of them)

To counter the return trip, you could do something like 200km/h speed, 1kg weight, 100L capacity and only give it enough power to move at 15km/h when fully loaded. When it is empty, it should be able to hit 200km/h no problem.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

Vladki

For those who like pipelines. I have prepared a pipeline as a station extension. So you can extend the harbor's coverage area towards the factory. So this pipeline has infinite capacity and immediate delivery, and can deliver everything ;) Enjoy.

Edit: added the source files as well.

Fabio

greenling

I like Pipelines. They have capacity.
@Vladki can you upload the Png and dats from the Pipline Pak?
Thank you.
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

diesseits

@Vladki that's a great idea. Is there any chance of getting a 128 scale version?

Doing pipelines as station extensions is definitely the right way to do it, but has the drawback of extending the station in ways that don't make sense - i.e. teleportation of people and non-pipelineable goods. What would be good is if the pak could define that a station extension only extends the station's radius for a customisable number of tiles, and only for certain goods. Does anyone know if this would be difficult to implement?

jk271

It would be nice to have the pipeline for crude oil in the game. It would take new transport type into game with different construction costs and maintenance costs settings in contrast to other transport types.
If someone finds it boring, nothing forces him/her to use it. If you do not like road transport, you can still use railway transport. But why to deny others to use it?

Vladki

Quote from: diesseits on January 26, 2013, 04:51:50 AM
@Vladki that's a great idea. Is there any chance of getting a 128 scale version?

It is for pak128, just the screenshot is zoomed out, to fit in allowed file size

greenling

Hello Vladki
the Piplines they you make get my on a idea.
:idea:
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)

Vladki

Just an update - pipelines for slopes as well ;) I hope you will find out how to build them ;)
Sources here: https://uran.webstep.net/~vladki/simutrans/pak128/sources.unpacked/

Anyway, how complicated is it to add a new mode of transport (rail, road, maglev, ...) ?

IgorEliezer

Quote from: Vladki on January 30, 2013, 06:19:06 PM
Just an update - pipelines for slopes as well ;) I hope you will find out how to build them ;)
Why don't you open a topic in pak128 add-ons board so people won't miss your add-on?

greenling

Hello IgorEliezer
The Projekt Pipelines it not ready, to go as addon for pak128.
It miss some very important parts. And My brain get it not to roll.

vzrenggamani

Hi,
I have one request...
I think Gas pipe/ Oil Pipe have some new experince for simutrans player ( i know simutrans is a simulator transport )
Because I am very bored seeing Train / truck carrying goods from  Oil pump / gas pump to Factory .. So, i think gas pipe is one of thousand ways to get new experince simutrans gameplay..
#HopeYouUnderstandMyEnglish

SIMUTRANS INDONESIA WEBSITE  <<< Indonesia Simutrans Addons Center And Web
HOPE YOU UNDERSTAND MY ENGLISH

Leartin

Was requested quite often already.

The problem is that it does not do anything exciting. With trains, you'd lay tracks and send trains on their way, you'd reuse the same tracks for other trains building a network, and you might update the trains after a while. With pipelines, you just build a pipeline, and never ever look at it again.

vzrenggamani

@Leartin
I Know that :( but trains still used for Transportibg good from factory to store and maybe the pipelines will be get leak and replaced using trains again . This is my crazy ideas :(

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Another thread merged.

vzrenggamani

maybe , we can add repair vahicle to repair  the pipelines ? So , Is have some realistic Experince

Note : Its a double post ?

An_dz

Quote from: vzrenggamani on January 21, 2016, 03:26:24 PM
No, Isaac just merged your request with the previous, but same, request.

Check above about all the discussion that lead to no official support for pipelines.

In case you want to save some time the decision was: No excitement as Leartin already pointed and you can unofficially do it, as Vladki has shown.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

I will let you know if you doublepost. I promise.

To again explain one more time: If you reply to yourself and it's been less than 24 hours.................. Look, I'll show you what a double post is.

First, notice how the reply I'm making now is the last post in the thread? (as soon as I post it)

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Now, THIS reply is a double-post because my reply above is the last post in this thread, and THIS reply is less than 24hours after the above.

If I wanted until tomorrow, and nobody else had replied -- if THIS post was made 24h AFTER the above post, then it would NOT be a double-post, even though I replied to myself.

but because I am replying to myself in LESS THAN 24HOURS, it is a doublepost.

Also, it is NOT a huge deal, only a minor annoyance on the forum. THat's why the "warning" is stated as a "gentle reminder". You will not get in trouble for doubleposting unless you do it a lot, and even then, I will just say "Okay, look, you've got to learn, silly". Stop worrying about it so much please :)

ucho

The url posted above is broken, it is now: https://uran.webstep.net/~vladki/simutrans/pak128/roura/
I prefer to simply use "Gas / Fluid Station Building" from default pak128.

isidoro

maybe , we can add repair vahicle to repair  the pipelines ? So , Is have some realistic Experince

That's another feature of ST: no repairs, no breakdowns, no natural disasters, etc.  That was considered a tricky way to keep the player busy with no real purpose and it isn't simulated.