News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Alter water tools

Started by prissi, September 24, 2013, 09:09:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

prissi

I am working on integrating the new climate functions. The alter water height tools does not work a expected. I can drain a lake one level or until completely empty, but I cannot fill it anymore. The tool does more or less somethign else, i.e. drain a bassin or fill it.

I would also suggest an error message, why the water level cannot be altered.

EDIT: During practical tests I found out I could convert water to land in the sea for free. I think this is not good for game balance and needs to be addressed somehow.

kierongreen

Raise/lower behaviour has already been discussed before. It's on my list of things to do.

Climate change (including to/from water) has been free so far mainly because I hadn't thought of a price for it. Should it cost same as raise/lower single tile?

Dwachs

Quote from: kierongreen on September 25, 2013, 01:22:42 AM
Climate change (including to/from water) has been free so far mainly because I hadn't thought of a price for it. Should it cost same as raise/lower single tile?
This tool should be limited to public player, no need to price it. After all, it is a map editing tool.
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

Markohs

well, raise and lower tools are also map editing tools and players are able to do it. If we make it public player we'll get extension requests to make it available to players,  maybe.  I'd make it twice the cost of a slope tool cost.

Dwachs

Available for public player = available if public player is unlocked and players can switch to it. This is the default in normal games with the exceptions being multiplayer and scenario games.

prissi

The water editing tool might be need to build a sea channel by lowering land, because now (if done in wrong building order) the land will stay dry. The other climate tools are not so important, I agree.

Ters

Quote from: Markohs on September 25, 2013, 08:01:01 AM
well, raise and lower tools are also map editing tools and players are able to do it. If we make it public player we'll get extension requests to make it available to players,  maybe.  I'd make it twice the cost of a slope tool cost.

I've seen terrain raised and lowered when building roads and railroads in real life. I've never seen them turn deserts into tundra or a temperate zone. To/from water is something different, though, and should be possible for players. I think that would be comparable to raise and lower terrain.

prissi

The other question: double height raise and lower is now charged the same as single height. I assume that is ok too?

For the drain/increaese water level tool, this I would limit to scenarios. Albeit, the increase water level (flooding areas) requires previous land modifications, which is quite costly anyway.

Dwachs

Quote from: prissi on September 25, 2013, 09:09:38 PM
The other question: double height raise and lower is now charged the same as single height. I assume that is ok too?
The raise / lower tools (u/d key) should have different costs for single and double slope. The set-slope tools not iirc.

kierongreen

Why should they have different costs for raise/lower for double height tiles? The new faster raise/lower code already takes into account number of height steps - so if you drag resulting in a tile changing height by 2 then you are charged twice normal price.

Dwachs

Quote from: kierongreen on September 26, 2013, 06:50:01 AM
Why should they have different costs for raise/lower for double height tiles? The new faster raise/lower code already takes into account number of height steps - so if you drag resulting in a tile changing height by 2 then you are charged twice normal price.
.. this is what I meant ;)

kierongreen

Just a quick note here - I've added a ctrl modifier to the alter water height tool.

Without ctrl behaviour remains same i.e.:
Raising - from the point of origin tries to flood all land in basin less than or equal in height to new water level.
Lowering - from point of origin removes water from all connected water tiles that are higher than the new water level.

With ctrl behaviour:
Raising - from the point of origin tries to flood all land in basin  less than new water level.
Lowering - from point of origin removes water from all connected shallow water tiles (only works in shallow water).

I think this addresses issue in initial post:
QuoteI can drain a lake one level or until completely empty, but I cannot fill it anymore. The tool does more or less somethign else, i.e. drain a bassin or fill it.