News:

Simutrans Tools
Know our tools that can help you to create add-ons, install and customize Simutrans.

Save file won't load. Causes application crash

Started by Curly_kleg, May 27, 2016, 02:33:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Curly_kleg

Summary of details and tl;dr:
One particular save file fails to load, causes crash, when progress bar is close to finished loading. New games and other save files work A-Ok. Can't think of anything noteworthy about the game/state when save was made except camera may have been rotated.

Problem:
Game freeze and Windows' "Programme stopped responding and needs to close" message, error apphangb1.

Simutrans:
Version: 120.something. The current steam version
Pak: 128Britain
Installed via steam

System:
Win 7 64bit (unsure of version, home, professional etc. Sorry)
AMD FX8320
AMD Radeon R9 390
12gb DDR3 RAM

Hi,
I'm a previous player and recently got SimuTrans again through steam. I've been playing only a couple of hours but unfortunately am facing a problem. I have several save files of one map at different times and (of course) the save I'm most interested in doesn't seem to be able to load. I start the game (have tried: running from double clicking desktop shortcut, from steam library, from simutrans executable file in file explorer), choose my language, choose my pakset (128Britain) and it loads the main menu as normal. I can start new games and load almost all saves without error.

When I try to load a specific save, it will proceed to the loading screen and the bar progresses 90-95% and then freezes. I have left it near 30 minutes and there was no more progression. Any mouse click after this freeze and the whole screen gets that grey overlay and Windows (Win 7 64bit) reports the programme encountered an error (apphangb1) and needs to close.

I have googled around a little but not managed to find a solution. I saw some threads (sorry, would provide links but not on my usual pc right now) mentioning  camera rotation being an issue in previous builds and I had been rotating it in that game - no idea the rotation when the save was made. Is this still a problem? I made other, test saves with a rotated camera and they work fine so I don't believe this is the cause.
General googles for "apphangb1 simutrans" didn't give me much that is relevant.

Unfortunately I'm posting this from mobile right now and unable to get full error message, provide save file, or anything else of much use. I will update (most likely tomorrow) with more details.

This really is intended more out of curiosity of the issue and bug/issue reporting and certainly not as complaining. Sorry if that isn't clear through the format and language of this post (it's late here , and touchscreen keyboard isn't my friend :p).

jamespetts

Welcome to the forums! Do you think that you could upload your saved game to http://files.simutrans-germany.com and link to it here so that the developers can track down the problem that you are having?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Curly_kleg

Hi! And thank you for the welcome :)

Please find the problematic save file here: http://simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/After_Princess.sve
Do you need any of the working saves, too?

Thank you again

jamespetts

I suspect that the most recent working save might be helpful, as would a description of what you did after saving the most recent working save, as this sounds as though it may well be due to save file corruption.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Curly_kleg

The most recently saved file (the last save I made in that map): http://simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/TestTest.sve

And the save file created soonest after the "broken" save: http://simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/BeforeLineTwo.sve

There is one save file before the broken one which loads fine, and five after it (including the two posted here) which load fine.

And I can't think of anything notable that was happening when/following the save. I had just finished creating a bus line/editing a bus's schedule when I made the save (not sure if the schedule dialogue was open or not) that breaks. The save file created most recently after that (BeforeLineTwo.sve) would have been made as I finished laying tracks and stations connecting two industries (Colliers to Ironworks, maybe) but before buying/running any trains. After the most recent save (TestTest.sve), I'm not sure, I believe I would have just closed the program as normal (from the in-game dialogue).

I had continued the game after making the "broken" save without exiting, so all other saves would have been created in the same "session", if that makes sense?

prissi

jamespetts

Can you perhaps upload the broken one as well?

Curly_kleg

The broken save was posted above, too (the third post, my second in this thread).

For ease, here it is again:

http://simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/After_Princess.sve

Quote from: prissi on May 27, 2016, 10:29:24 PM
Both files load fine for me.
Thank you, too, for you time trying here. Yes, the two files posted there (TestTest.sve and BeforeLinetwo.sve) work fine. The post above that contains the faulty save (After_Princess.sve).

Do please excuse my save names.... They make sense to me :p

prissi

The file is fine; indeed it contains extra junk at the end, which is while the multi-threaded loading failed. I added a hack and it seems to work in r7802.

Curly_kleg

Quote from: prissi on May 29, 2016, 09:07:32 PM
The file is fine; indeed it contains extra junk at the end, which is while the multi-threaded loading failed. I added a hack and it seems to work in r7802.

Hello,
Thank you for your time and reply. It now loads fine and runs as expected :). Thank you very much.

One last query, though. I'm not entirely sure of the process behind correctly applying the versions. I went to the nightly builds site and downloaded r7802, copied the executable and config folder into my SimuTrans install directory (having backed up the existing files, of course). I then tried playing the game and all worked as expected. Is there anything I'm missing from the process? I'm launching the game via the Steam client (which does seem to run fine), does this raise any further considerations?
I did open and try reading the readme.txt that came with the download, but the format made it difficult - sorry. And thank you, again, for your efforts.

prissi

It principle the executable only should do the trick unless something really deep changed.

Moreover, after saving this file should also work with older version.