News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

Shading, reversed or standard

Started by Packer, January 05, 2014, 01:45:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Packer

I'm still stuck on this decision. It's been about a year I think.

So far factories, grounds, trains, and trams are done in reversed shading. Buildings are about 50/50 (although town halls are being a pain with animation) now. Planes, trucks, and bridges have yet to be done.

However for planes and ships, I have permission to use a set for each. So if we use those (and pluck the American planes out, the plane set uses some USSR designs) they won't need to be flipped. Which would just leave trucks.
The Pack is back!!

Pak64US vehicles, goods files, road, and terrain tiles: download here
Pak64US would greatly appreciate helpers to get it off the ground:Please Help

prissi

Simutrans does not really use a flipped shading compared to OpenTTD. Also the direction of light is turned by 45° ...

VS

If you're taking everything straight out of ottd, keep it for less work.

If you're going to mix stuff, flip the other stuff so as to fit standard - you can automate that one-off task, and it will be fixed forever. Vehicles already contain all the needed information (take a view, flip, it's now the opposite heading - see attachment), everything else does not lose anything when flipped.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Packer

After much thinking (and this thread) I'm thinking it *may* be easier to flip the trains and the few buildings I'm not using from Simutrans.

This means that the ways and such won't have to be adjusted...

VS, what do you mean automate "that one-off task"?
The Pack is back!!

Pak64US vehicles, goods files, road, and terrain tiles: download here
Pak64US would greatly appreciate helpers to get it off the ground:Please Help

VS

Well, you have to take a sprite sheet, select one view, flip that horizontally, ditto for the "mirrored" view, and then swap some reference which says that one is west and another eastward facing (just an example).

If you spend a hour writing some program or script that does this for you, you save yourself countless clicks :)

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!