News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Praise to Pak128.Britain!

Started by benjad, November 22, 2012, 05:08:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benjad

Hi all,

On this thanksgiving day (Here in the US), I had to drop some appreciation to the Pak128.Britain folks.  I have been playing this pakset a lot recently.  It has good industry chains(that don't produce spaghetti, but benefit from network building), a great city rules set (logical cities), and more rail vehicles than you could ever begin to understand to use. 

The only odditity I am seeing is 'speed bonus' calculations.  The rail speed bonus speed is so high, that only one or two passenger trains can achieve it (1880-1910 ish), and goods trains never get anywhere near it. 

The Hood

Thanks for the report!

Quote from: benjad on November 22, 2012, 05:08:02 PM
The only odditity I am seeing is 'speed bonus' calculations.  The rail speed bonus speed is so high, that only one or two passenger trains can achieve it (1880-1910 ish), and goods trains never get anywhere near it. 

Does this impact profitability? I managed to get profitable passenger trains in that era although goods was slightly variable. If you can give details of what the problem is I can add it to the list of information to take into account when I next rebalance the set.

benjad

You hit it right on.  Passenger and mail can get to the speed bonus speed.  But goods never will.  I tried it with timeline off, and the speed bonus for rail was 80km/h.  With timeline on, in 1890 ish was 130km/hr ...

It does force you to consider using narrow gauge.  That is good.  Because short 5-6 car goods trains are not going to make it. 

If this is intentional, thats ok too.  We all know coal is not screaming across the country at 200km/hr.  But I think piece goods (for example) generally have a speed bonus, and you should have a chance to get it.  (Right now, the fastest piece goods car is 120km/hr... and you don't get it until 1956... right).