News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

Fuji-chuo - a congestion problem

Started by ojii, January 14, 2013, 03:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ojii

Let me start right away with a picture:

Here you see the most difficult section in my game I'm currently playing (using pak128.japan and tons of addons for it).

The station is at a three way intersection where the main line (Fuji - Fuji-chuo - Osaka) branches off towards Oita (via Fuji-jinja-mae). There's about 120-125 convoys a month stopping at the stations, with ~120 convoys/month going through Fuji, ~90 through Osaka and ~50 through Fuji-jinja-mae.

There's 7 lines:

Tozai Line: Fuji-jinja-mae -> Fuji
Wakayama and Yokkaichi Lines: Fuji-jinja-mae -> Osaka
Nanboku, Kofu, Otsu and Gifu Lines: Fuji -> Osaka

Initially, before the increase in traffic, the station had double tracks in all three ways, with a simple crossing intersection at the western end. There were four platforms (two towards Fuji, two towards Osaka). Only three lines existed at that point, the Tozai, Nanboku and Yokkaichi Lines. The Tozai and Nanboku lines used the platforms towards Fuji, and the Yokkaichi Line used the platforms towards Osaka.

The addition of the Otsu and Gifu lines, which initially terminated at Fuji-chuo, led to the construction of a third platform to be built towards Fuji, which was used by those lines to turn.

However, addition of the other lines, especially the Kofu Line which quickly became the most congested and heavily traveled line, made turning at Fuji-chuo uneconomical, as the trains blocked traffic for too long. As a result, the current station design was implemented. The trains from Fuji to Osaka are routed through the two northern platforms on the Fuji side of the station. The trains from Fuji-jinja-mae to Osaka and back go through the single platform to the west, or the elevated platform in the center. The trains from Fuji-jinja-mae to Fuji go through a tunnel with an underground platform, or the southern platform on the Fuji side. The Otsu and Gifu lines were extended to a new terminus beyond Osaka.

However, even the improved station layout still couldn't handle the traffic, and as a result, all platforms on the main lines were extended from four to five blocks, and the 8-car trains (1208 passengers) on the Tozai and Kofu lines were replaced with 10-car trains (1516 passengers) to fight congestion. This meant the station had to be altered yet again, to accommodate the longer trains.

Hope you enjoyed that little story.

greenling

ojii
That it a nice photo.
What for addon´s have you in your pakset?
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

ojii

greenling

Ojii
Ok Thank for those info.
Than will i look that be download a of those addon´s.
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!