News:

Want to praise Simutrans?
Your feedback is important for us ;D.

Some results...

Started by Junna, June 30, 2013, 04:06:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamespetts

Very nice! Sorry for the delay in getting these in - working on a number of things at the moment, including improving the graphics of all the Mk. I vehicles and rendering them all in a full set of sectorisation liveries.

In the meantime, would you be so kind as to upload your class 410 "jaffa cake" .blends so that I can copy your colours if I want to make other vehicles in that livery? I should be most grateful.

(Incidentally, am I correct in thinking that these graphics can also be used for the earlier class 310, or were they visually distinct)?

Edit: If these are visually identical to the 310, or near enough, the original livery of the 310 was BR electric blue (the same as on the Class 303, .blends of which should be available for you to copy the colour) with small yellow panels, as seen here (the first picture - unfortunately in black and white).
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

kierongreen

Jaffa Cake (as an express livery) wasn't used that much in real life as Network SouthEast came into existence shortly after it was introduced.

Junna

Quote from: kierongreen on August 03, 2013, 01:25:49 PM
Jaffa Cake (as an express livery) wasn't used that much in real life as Network SouthEast came into existence shortly after it was introduced.

Indeed. Save 410/11, I think only 309 had it (though many 309's did wear it for some time as well.) Units were only painted in it during the first half of the 1980's.

(Jaffa blends: http://www.mediafire.com/download/eio66x9q040cgaa/jaffa.rar)

Quote from: jamespetts on August 03, 2013, 12:47:46 PM
(Incidentally, am I correct in thinking that these graphics can also be used for the earlier class 310, or were they visually distinct)?

Edit: If these are visually identical to the 310, or near enough, the original livery of the 310 was BR electric blue (the same as on the Class 303, .blends of which should be available for you to copy the colour) with small yellow panels, as seen here (the first picture - unfortunately in black and white).

They were indeed near enough visually identical; changes were primarily in regards to some seating adjustments and changes to the motors (312 is essentially an uprated 310 for outer suburban traffic, maximum speed upped to 145 from 120).

kierongreen

From http://www.networksoutheast.net/jan-1982-to-may-1986.html and http://www.networksoutheast.net/jun-1986-to-dec-1986.html
27 March 1985 - L&SE's new brown/orange/beige livery debuts on Class 309 'Clacton' EMU No 309605, the first of 23 refurbished units, unveiled at Wolverton works with 'Essex Express' titles - the new livery is quickly nicknamed 'Jaffa cake'!
17 April 1985 - Colchester - Ipswich inaugural electric passenger working by first refurbished, Jaffa-cake livery 'Clacton' EMU 309605, in advance of regular services from new timetable (see 13 May).
27 April 1985 - Class 411 4-CEP No 1602 marks class debut in L&SE new brown/orange/beige 'Jaffa cake' livery, following the Class 309s. The livery is destined to have a short life, being applied only to Class 309, 411 4-CEP, 419 MLV and 421 4-CIG EMUs before superseded by NSE colours, unveiled 10 June 1986 - although refurbished 4-CEPs surprisingly continue to be turned-out in the Jaffa cake scheme for most of 1987 - No 1619 being the last in mid-October that year!
10 June 1986 - NSE launched by Chris Green at London Waterloo - the wholesale rebranding of L&SE with a bold new identity and exciting vision for the future
i.e. Jaffa Cake as a livery for Class 309, 419 and 421 should be available March 1985-June 1986. For 4-CEP (class 411) it should be April 1985 to October 1987.

jamespetts

There is no facility in Experimental for the same livery to have different introduction dates on different units - the "Jaffa cake" livery would have to be introduced in March 1985 and be replaced by the earlier version of the "toothpaste" NSE livery in June 1986. However, I do remember quite a few units in the late 1980s with this livery on the Southern region, so it is significant enough to include. We could also do with adding a 4-CEP at some point, which also had the livery.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

The Hood

Like the powerstation a lot. I'd go for more cooling towers, and more parking/huts etc. Could you also please remove the grass for the final image as it's best to use the grounds texture in the game.

Vladki

Hello Junna, the stuff you painted is really nice.

I have only few comments to the power plant:
- the cooling towers should be a little bit wider or lower. These seem to be too "slim"
- the coal storage looks quite flat - I would expect a heap of coal.
- what about some electric wires coming out of the main building, transformers and such stuff?

Junna

Quote from: Vladki on August 03, 2013, 05:03:51 PM
- what about some electric wires coming out of the main building, transformers and such stuff?

Those are avoided on others: I think the reason is that the game's electricity transformers represent that, so anything like that would look off and would make connecting on some sides of the building look a bit off.

Other power stations have city tile ground, so...

The Hood

Looks good. It's looking rather clean though, given the amount of smoke/coal dust likely to be around. The smaller building in front of the main generator hall seems to have a white roof too - presumably not intended? I could also be tempted to go larger and add more generator halls and turbines? Modern power stations do tend to be quite large.

kierongreen

If you intend the wall to be concrete you can use a more noisy texture, might also considering simulating segments. Most fences around power stations I've seen tend to be wire mesh however I know this doesn't look that great in blender (especially against transparent backgrounds) :(

The Hood

Fence - you could use the same one as I did on the oil refinery and quarry for example...

ӔO

My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

Junna

Quote from: ӔO on August 03, 2013, 09:34:13 PM
Maybe use this mesh fence after rendering?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Player_Colour_Fence.rar

I do make use of that one in-game (to control some development and so on), but that would be a massive pain to get right. The quarry/oil fence probably is preferable. Will see about changing some textures and enlarging the site (the appearance is based on Didcot No. 1 Power Station).

greenling

Hello All
The Powerstation on the Photo looks yery hot out.
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

The Hood

Sorry to give another thought now - I wonder whether coding cooling towers as fields would be good, even possibly with extra coal yards and generating blocks and chimneys as fields might work too? Field-type images tend to work best when the graphic is the same from all angles (as fields do not have rotations) and doesn't overly depend on what's in the next square.

jamespetts

Hmm - I'm not convinced by that, not least because power stations do not sprout additional cooling towers the more coal that they receive! Also, fields cannot form part of the coverage radius of an industry, and, in Experimental, power lines can go over fields (as they do in real life), which would look silly in the case of cooling towers.

Junna

Apropos of nothing particular - but are blender sources missing the 205?

jamespetts

Ahh, thank you for pointing that out. I found that I had quite a few missing, which I am now uploading, together with your .blends and all the work that I have done on the Mk. Is recently.

jamespetts

Quote from: Junna on July 20, 2013, 04:22:12 PM
Jaffa Cake livery for the 410/11/12 - but only with the regular intermediate trailers (mk.1 coaching stock), as I don't think the buffet/restaurant cars ever had the livery. But I'm not sure if it is worth including.

I am just looking into these BR Class 410/411/412 units now. These are complicated somewhat by having a different layout before and after refurbishment. Before refurbishment, there was a brake compartment in each motor carriage. After refurbishment, the brake compartment was moved to the composite carriage and space was freed in the ends of the motor carriages for extra seating. The jaffa cake livery would have been applied only to refurbished vehicles, so we need a jaffa cake intermediate brake, I think.

Also, the refurbishment would have altered the seating capacity and comfort. I should be interested in people's views on whether it is worth defining a separate set of vehicles which are upgradable (in Experimental) from the original 4-CEP, or whether that would be too fiddly and whether it is better to ignore the refurbishment and just alter the appearance of the vehicles.

By the way, if the 501 is fourth-rail, fourth-rail needs its maximum speed raised to 120km/h.

Done.

Junna

Quote from: jamespetts on August 13, 2013, 10:57:38 PM
Before refurbishment, there was a brake compartment in each motor carriage. After refurbishment, the brake compartment was moved to the composite carriage and space was freed in the ends of the motor carriages for extra seating. The jaffa cake livery would have been applied only to refurbished vehicles, so we need a jaffa cake intermediate brake, I think.

I think I was unable to find a brake carriage to modify in the blends, and that's why I simply made it a second trailer. Either that or I misplaced the images...

Meanwhile... Class 202/3 "Hastings" long-distance DEMU

Front

Trailer:

Buffet:

Rear:

jamespetts

That looks very nice! One small thing: there are one or two places near the edges of the graphics where the background colour has made inroads into the sides because a few pixels were at the lowest black level: the easiest way to fix that is to paint them black using a 1x1 sized pencil brush.

As to the 4-CEP: you could use the Mk. I BSO images as a base. Any thoughts on whether we should have a separate vehicle definition for pre- and post-refurbishment?

Junna

Quote from: jamespetts on August 14, 2013, 10:19:18 AM
As to the 4-CEP: you could use the Mk. I BSO images as a base. Any thoughts on whether we should have a separate vehicle definition for pre- and post-refurbishment?

Well, since the 410 was re-classified and there are those changes that were made, it ought perhaps to be worthwhile to have it as a separate 411/12?

jamespetts

Yes, I see. According to this source, the Class 411s (without buffets) became 411/5 after refurbishment, whilst the Class 410 (with buffets) vehicles became Class 412s after refurbishment. It is not clear why the 411s were changed only in subclass whereas the 410s were given a whole new class number, however.

Junna

Class 33:
Two-tone green:

Blue:

202/3:

Front green (fixed):

Trailer:

Buffet:

Rear:

All-over blue:

Front:

Trailer:

Buffet:

Rear:

Blue-grey:

Front:

Trailer:

Buffet:

Rear:

Dats attached. The seating numbers for the 202/3 are guessed, as I could find no specific numbers.

jamespetts

Very nice! Sorry that I haven't kept up with these so far - there is something of a queue of other things and some of these need a little work to integrate (liveries etc.). May I ask you to upload the .blend files for these? I should be very grateful.

kierongreen

It might just be my eyes but the 202 seems very wide and/or very short in height? For instance looking at the cabs the windows are well into the roof? A few pixel errors are on that image too.

Class 33 looks very nice :)

Junna

Class 210:

Blue-grey:
DM:

trailer:

Driving trailer:

Regional railways:

DM:

Trailer:

Driving trailer:

jamespetts

Very nice - and good call on the RR livery, as they might well have carried that had they in fact been used (assuming that that they had been cascaded, that is, or else they would have carried NSE livery).

The Hood

Don't know whether it's just me but the 210 graphics seem to have a black lining around the edge. Perhaps a problem with the render settings?

Did you finish off the power station graphics? I realised it would be fairly simple for me to draw a coal power station from the gas one with the existing cooling towers anyway, so if you aren't planning on finishing it I will knock one up. If you are, let me know so I don't duplicate...

jamespetts

A possible cause of black lines is having "full sample" set in the render settings.

Edit: I notice that the Class 33 seems to have the black line issue, too.

Junna

Current state of the power station, not given it much thought for a while...

jamespetts

That looks good! It does make sense for later power stations to be larger than earlier ones (as I believe that this one is), as power stations were rarely upgraded in situ in any event, so the inability to upgrade in Experimental is not really an issue.

kierongreen

Something strange with lighting at front vs that at back...

Junna

Quote from: kierongreen on September 03, 2013, 06:48:33 PM
Something strange with lighting at front vs that at back...

Indeed, but it's not an actual finished thing, so... some more work is required, but not sure how to touch it up in a good way.

The Hood

I'd say it's nearly there:
- more cooling towers?
- sort out shading
- corrugated roof lines need to be closer together
- chimney just stripey at the top?