News:

Simutrans Forum Archive
A complete record of the old Simutrans Forum.

Israel road and rail network in Simutrans Experimental

Started by choro, September 29, 2013, 01:43:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

choro

Inspired by Carl's awesome-incredible-fascinating-awe-inspiring-game, I decided I wanted to make my own, much easier version. Thanks to Israel's small size, remaking its rail network is not such a big deal.

Starting off by making a map - not too hard, I must say, I posted it here in the forums.

Member asaphxiix really accepted the challenge, and together we started developing a map with real world city, road and railways location.

Asaph is apparently quite awesome at making a precise copy of the real world, and Israel's small size helps when modelling. Asaph added main roads with amazing precision (I can actually identify specific streets), while I mainly concentrated at adding rail lines.
I thought we could share our progress, so here's the first post. We started from the centre of the nation, which you can see is the most crowded:

Here you can see Israel Railways to the south - the lines from Tel Aviv to Ashkelon, Modi'in and Be'er Sheva (in the south, slightly outside this screenshot) are now complete, while another track (from Be'er Yaakov to Rishon Lezion) is still missing. The line to Jerusalem (in fact there are two - a new one is in construction in the real world) is still missing, as I couldn't yet figure which mountains and valleys it goes through.

As for roads, starting from the North (near Kfar Shmaryahu) you can see the "Coastal Road" near the sea, and "Ayalon Highway" parallel  to it. Toll "Road 6" is currently the easternmost, going from North to South, and the parallel "Road 40" can be seen slightly to the west. "Road 4" can be seen south of Tel Aviv along the shorline to Ashkelon, and another one is #42, parallel and slightly east of #4.

So that's it for now, but I'll be sure to update on our progress. (And again, I'll state around 75% of the work here is asaphxiix's).

asaphxiix

thanks much for the credit choro, you've done some extensive and excellent work yourself, I'll show off some interchanges soon.

As for the yellow lines, those are actually airplane taxiways (grass) I use to stop highways from becoming city roads, but they do a fine work at distinguishing the highways on the map also (like their blue marking in the roadmaps), as will be seen once completed.

Another important note is that the game is run as a server, not a public game (not announcing) but of course open for anyone to come and have a look (I doubt any non-local will be interested in participating, but please be welcome!), at simu.zapto.org.

jamespetts

Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

asaphxiix

Many thanks Carl, James. Another note is that the map is 1:1, and in fact we have established a very decent similarity (<5%) with real locations, so that a drive from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem will in fact be about 60km both in game and in real life.

choro

Quote from: Junna on September 29, 2013, 09:55:05 PM
How did you make the map?

Found a relief map on wikipedia, then followed instructions here: http://maps.simutrans.com/tutorial.html (with paint I guess it's a bit of a hassle, but with photoshop and the like its really easy).
Finally Asaph added cities switching between google maps and the game.

choro

Anyone for some realistic interchanges?

(at the junction of roads 6 and 7, and near road 3)

or crazy interchanges?

Carl

That's great! I spent a little bit of time on M25 junctions on the GB map, but ultimately the ones with more than two levels were too much of a faff to be worth the time.

choro

So today we finished the construction of Road #6, a toll road (I think the only one actually - there are a few toll lanes, but I'm quite sure there aren't any other proper toll roads) and one of Israel's main highways. Its real life length is 138 km. Its ingame length is... Well, you can check this mail van's odometer after just finishing the journey  ;)
So that's around 97% accuracy.

choro

We continued developing the network to the North, and now most main roads in Israel are in the map. The railway from Tel-Aviv up to Naharia in the north was added, and only one passenger railway is missing - Be'er Sheva to Dimona (in the South). A cargo railway all the way south to the Red Sea wasn't added yet.

We found that a 1/10 ratio will work for the number of citizens in each city (compared to real life) - this makes cities have a size similar to their real life one. Here is Gush Dan (gush = coalition (of cities, in this case), dan is after the biblical tribe), Israel's most populated and dense area, and its financial and cultural centre.

Compared to

Roads 20, 4 and 1 are clearly visible in the screenshot. (You can open the photos in a new window to see full size, the forum doesn't like big images).

asaphxiix

my, this was a complicated ordeal!

See a screenshot of Golda interchange in Jerusalem, with path markings, and the satellite image of the area.

choro

So recently we've been adding some lines (a nice break from adding roads and cities), mainly in the Gush Dan area.
Attached are the currently available lines, which are divided into companies like in real life.
Dan - 5, 25, 89, 66 serving Tel Aviv, Bat Yam - Tel Aviv, Holon - Tel Aviv and Petah Tikva - Tel Aviv accordingly.
Egged - 910, 405, 174 serving Tel Aviv - Haifa, Tel Aviv - Jerusalem (these are long range routes) and Tel Aviv - Azor - Rishon Letzion.
Kavim - 55, serving Kiryat Ono - Tel Aviv.

We tried to make lines have their real routes, though its a little hard to add all stations when each tile is 125x125m. Still, some stations are named after their general area or street name.