News:

Simutrans Chat Room
Where cool people of Simutrans can meet up.

[11.33] No route

Started by Carl, June 01, 2014, 12:11:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carl

In 11.33 some of my trains seem no longer able to find routes to their destination. The most recent comparable version I have on hand is 11.24, and this error doesn't occur in that version.

Upon loading the following save you'll get a few errors from 9:20 onwards.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/61716/noroute.rar

If I were to venture a guess at a pattern, it looks like these are cases where the origin and the destination are quite a long way apart.

(You can also see a bonus bug if you locate convoy 1726, which is one of the first to complain. The train behind it, 1811, pulls into Doncaster and occupies the same space as 1726 while the former is in its error state.)

Carl

In fact I notice that this is limited to certain types of trains (Class 91, Pendolino, the occasional 222) which makes me wonder whether this is a weight issue. Has something changed in the weight code?

DrSuperGood

QuoteIn fact I notice that this is limited to certain types of trains (Class 91, Pendolino, the occasional 222) which makes me wonder whether this is a weight issue. Has something changed in the weight code?
Were these trains unusually full?

Bridges use the actual weight of the convoy (goods and all) as far as I understand. If the bridge span is as long or longer than the convoy it will need to have a weight limit equal to or larger than the convoy total weight with any goods it is carrying in order for the train to cross over it.

If the trains have not been running with that much weight before (passenger trains not over-crowded, goods trains not fully loaded or using lighter/smaller carriages, lighter engines etc) it is possible that you have run into the inevitable problem that your infrastructure just cannot support the weight of your convoys.

Long convoys on lines with long bridges are at most risk for this kind of problem as they may have the weight of multiple engines and a lot of carriages that all fit on the bridges at once.

Obviously I cannot rule out the fact it may just be a game error but from my experience with goods in the multiplayer server that was the most annoying cause of "no route".

jamespetts

I have checked: this was caused by the system that I installed a short while ago to prevent ships that could not find routes from impacting too heavily on performance by pre-emptively failing to route if their routes appeared to be too long. I have now confined this exclusively to water based vehicles so that rail, road and air vehicles, which take far less computational effort to route, are not affected.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

jamespetts

This problem should be solved by the newly released 11.34.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.