News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

On waytypes and 1 kph

Started by scamps, August 17, 2016, 06:02:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scamps

Hello, everyone!

Apologies, if this issue is already known or solved.

After watching the recent video on one train staff signalling, I decided to see if it is implemented in the laest version I have (Simutrans-Experimental_160412-VS2015 compiled by Ves). So started a new map in 1890 and did a quick setup:
Depot--Cabinet------Station1---------================Station2
But in a hurry I laid the railway in two parts: --------- is 86 lbs and =========== is 95 lbs.
Train reserves way correctly, rides -------- part at full speed, but crawls ====== part at 1 km/h. It runs in reverse direction in same manner: ====== part at 1 km/h and then -------- part at full speed. Upgrading all way to 95 lbs solved the problem.

jamespetts

May I ask what the date of the executable is? Until fairly recently, the one train staff working method was broken and liable to cause trains to fail to update the data as to where the next signal is, causing them to travel at 1km/h. If this is earlier than those fixes, then that will be the issue. If it is later than those fixes, this may be a new bug, which I will need to investigate. Incidentally, I am glad that you found the video helpful.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Rollmaterial

What is the highest axle load of your train? Maybe it's too heavy for the 86 lb/yd track.

scamps

Version of 12.04.2016. I suspected that method was not yet fully implemented. Could you please provide me with a recent compiled version? Meanwhile Visual Studio 2015 Community finished instaling, but I am unsure, how long will it take me to fiugure out compiling Simutrans. Did it just once, and it was a couple years ago.

Edt: axle load was not the case, checked that.

jamespetts

Ahh, yes, April was before I made the fixes. I think that there are some specific things that need to be done to make the Simutrans project compatible with the 2015 version (Dr. Supergood posted about them somewhere), but I have never got around to implementing this, as I still use 2012.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

scamps

I believe it is easier to compile in VS2015 then download VS2012. However I am missing bzlib.h and bzlib.lib. A link would be greatly appreciated.

Trying to follow instrucions in thread "How to compile Simutrans Experimental with MSVC 2012" http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=14254.0
Howewer attachments on step 4 fail to download. I believe these were bzlib files. Google also did not help much.

scamps

Downloaded VS2012, still having a problim with bzlib. Tried bzlib from here: https://github.com/philr/bzip2-windows/releases , got 6 errors like "Error   1   error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _BZ2_bzReadOpen referenced in function "public: bool __thiscall loadsave_t::rd_open(char const *)" (?rd_open@loadsave_t@@QAE_NPBD@Z)   .\simutrans-experimental-devel-new\loadsave.obj   Simutrans-Experimental"

Noticed that Ves still provides compiled builds in other thread. That will do, for now :-) Thank you, Ves!

Still it would be geat if someone could give a link to correct bzip libraries. Thanks in advance!

jamespetts

Hmm - step 4 is a link to makeobj.exe on my own server, not the BZlib files, so I am slightly confused. Did you mean to refer to step 4 on another post?

scamps

From "How to compile Simutrans Experimental with MSVC 2012" http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=14254.0

Quote from: Spenk009 on December 29, 2014, 08:03:25 PM
This is a guide from my recent experience with compiling Simutrans Experimental. This is a snapshot of Dec 2014 on Windows 7 and your configuration may differ.

1. Install Microsoft Visual Studio 2012 (e.g. from here or any other place you like). Update the program to Update 4
2. Get the sources from GitHub: here. You can download the whole folder as a zip file on the right side of the page or sign up and fork your own branch. Extract it somewhere memorable (like "D:\Programming").
3. Download the precompiled libraries from OpenTTD here. Choose the highest version and download the openttd-useful-*.*-win.zip. Open this zip and extract the folders into a folder that is easily accessed and remembered. These folders (win32,shared) are the folders we base the steps up to 5b on.
4. Now we get the header and library files:  here and here. The .h file goes to shared/include and .lib to win32/library.
5. Next are the pthread files, here. Select the latest/highest "prebuilt-dll-..-..-..-release".

Step 4 or not, where shoud one get bzlib2?

Ves

Glad you found the executable useful! I have not had time compiling new builds for a while but will do sometime in next week :-)
I remember something that you need some older versions of some of the libraries, however I don't recall at the moment 'what'. There are some threads which addressed this. Incidentally, the compiles now also features the git commit in their names as to refer to exactly which version that is compiled!

DrSuperGood

When building with MSVC it may be a good idea to self-build all the dependent libraries. This allows some of them to be incorporated into the executable (fewer DLL files) as well as for potentially better optimization to occur (link time optimization).

scamps

Quote from: Ves on August 19, 2016, 09:06:08 AM
I remember something that you need some older versions of some of the libraries, however I don't recall at the moment 'what'. There are some threads which addressed this.
Ves, could you upload your OpenTTD folder (if you use recommended folder name)? Whatever library versions you use for compiling should work for me.

Quote from: DrSuperGood on August 19, 2016, 12:24:58 PM
When building with MSVC it may be a good idea to self-build all the dependent libraries. This allows some of them to be incorporated into the executable (fewer DLL files) as well as for potentially better optimization to occur (link time optimization).
That's what I am trying to do.

jamespetts

Ahh, sadly this has been a victim of some recent corruption of the forum database in which attachments were lost. I think that you should be able to get BZlib sources here.

Ves

Quote from: scamps on August 19, 2016, 10:38:41 PM
Ves, could you upload your OpenTTD folder (if you use recommended folder name)? Whatever library versions you use for compiling should work for me.
Pm sent!

scamps

//By now the thread should probably be renamed

Quote from: jamespetts on August 19, 2016, 10:44:44 PM
Ahh, sadly this has been a victim of some recent corruption of the forum database in which attachments were lost. I think that you should be able to get BZlib sources here.
This link has only source files. Thankfully there's also a readme on compiling. So I managed to compile libbz2.lib, attached it. However, result is exactly same errors as with downloaded .lib file.

Quote from: Ves on August 20, 2016, 08:36:03 PM
Pm sent!
Replied!

jamespetts

Very odd - I am not sure what is causing the difference in behaviour here.