News:

Simutrans Chat Room
Where cool people of Simutrans can meet up.

Signalling question

Started by Carl, February 20, 2017, 05:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carl

Following Ves's post here, I had a question about the new signalling system. I understand that upon leaving a station, trains will drive-by-sight (at a low speed? how low?) until reaching a signal. So platform ends will need signals.

How does this interact with stations where convoys of different lengths use the same platforms? For example, I might have a terminus with platform lengths of 7 tiles, but where convoys of length 2, 4, 6 and 7 all use the station. If the 2-tile train leaves from the far end of the platform, will it have to drive-by-sight for five tiles until it reaches the platform end signal? If so, this seems like a problem for simulations. One solution would be to have a signal on each tile of the station, but this would look silly and be unrealistic.

Grateful for any clarification and/or thoughts.

Vladki

Drive by sight speed can be set in simuconf.tab, it is 35 km/h for pak128.britain. If the signal is at the last tile of platform, it's aspect applies equally to short and long trains.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Carl

Thanks Vladki. So if I'm understanding right, the unwanted scenario of driving by sight to the end of the platform wouldn't occur - great.

Is drive-by-sight speed fixed at map creation or is it the kind of setting that changes in-game when you change the simuconf.tab? If the former, can it be changed in the in-game settings menu?

(This is relevant for porting old savegames from Experimental.)

Rollmaterial

It can be changed in the in-game settings.

Vladki

Quote from: Carl on February 20, 2017, 06:04:43 PM
Thanks Vladki. So if I'm understanding right, the unwanted scenario of driving by sight to the end of the platform wouldn't occur - great.
I think so. Moreover, the train should wait in its place (be it in the middle or end of platform) until it gets clearance, and it should also continue loading cargo/pax while waiting for clearance.