Author Topic: How To Make Profit in 1750?  (Read 385 times)

Offline The13thRonin

How To Make Profit in 1750?
« on: June 16, 2017, 12:52:01 PM »
Starting at 1750 in the Britain.128 Pack how do I make profit? Transport options seem quite limited and I'm not sure how to make profitable lines.

Offline Rollmaterial

Re: How To Make Profit in 1750?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 08:00:28 PM »
As of now, only boats are profitable in a significant manner. I would recommend starting with a fish chain and then combining several bulk goods chains and passengers on a single boat line with short feeder road lines. Road breaks even as long as you don't own too much roads.

More generally, the pakset isn't balanced and only will when all upcoming balance-critical features are implemented, which is going to take a while.

Offline Jando

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 10:58:05 AM »
Aye, that early you will rely on freight lines, most of it on boats. Try finding a large consumer of goods near coast or river and bring cargo to it. Short feeders on road are fine, but use boats for distance.

Offline The13thRonin

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 03:39:27 PM »
Are we supposed to start in 1750 or would I enjoy a more balanced game if I started in 1900?

I'm pretty good at standard Simutrans now but I'm at a loss when it comes to Extended.

Offline jamespetts

• Simitrans-Extended project coordinator
  • Helpful: 165
  • Cake baker
    • Bridgewater-Brunel
  • Languages: EN
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2017, 08:43:47 PM »
Thank you for your feedback; I am sorry that you are having trouble. Rollmaterial is correct, in that the Extended paksets have not been fully balanced yet; balancing will require several other features, and I am busy working on one of those features right now. People have managed to play successfully in the earlier years, however, although if you do not fancy concentrating on ships in the early years, you might want to have a go for the time being at starting a little later: you need not start as late as 1900; I suspect that 1830 would probably suffice.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Offline Jando

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2017, 08:59:57 PM »
Are we supposed to start in 1750 or would I enjoy a more balanced game if I started in 1900?

I'm pretty good at standard Simutrans now but I'm at a loss when it comes to Extended.

My advise would be to start in 1920 if you want to transport passengers too. Reason is that you have no reasonably fast passenger road transport between 1842 and 1920 in the current pakset (no stage coaches). Else focus on freight.

Offline jamespetts

• Cake baker
    • Bridgewater-Brunel
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2017, 09:04:32 PM »
My advise would be to start in 1920 if you want to transport passengers too. Reason is that you have no reasonably fast passenger road transport between 1842 and 1920 in the current pakset (no stage coaches). Else focus on freight.

There are stage coaches in varying types all the way from the 1750s to the regency period.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Offline Jando

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2017, 09:48:16 PM »
There are stage coaches in varying types all the way from the 1750s to the regency period.

Note I said "reasonably fast". :) Until 1842 one can transport 13 passengers on road at 18 km/h on stage coach, after 1842 to internal combustion the fastest road transport is the hackney carriage (4 passengers at 13 km/h, or better capacity on horse omnibus at 11 km/h).

Or did the pakset recently change, James?

Offline jamespetts

• Cake baker
    • Bridgewater-Brunel
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2017, 09:52:10 PM »
Ahh - I misunderstood when you wrote "no stage coaches" - the stage coaches were last updated last December, when multiple types of stage coach and horse replaced the previous single generic stage coach and horses.