News:

SimuTranslator
Make Simutrans speak your language.

Bridgewater-Brunel; Pak128.Britain-Ex; Simutrans-Extended (testing)

Started by jamespetts, June 16, 2017, 09:58:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamespetts

Note: The testing has ended and a new game for playing has been started, which is dealt with on a separate thread.

The Bridgewater-Brunel server is now back online and working after having spent a great deal of time finding and fixing various desync bugs. The server's address is as follows:

bridgewater-brunel.me.uk.

If you cannot access this through the server browser, you can go to the load game dialogue box and type net:bridgewater-brunel.me.uk and press RETURN in order to load the game (although bear in mind that if the reason that you cannot connect using the server browser is that you have a different version of the executable or pakset, this could lead you to desync from the server as a result of this, so please check this before posting any bug report.

The server will be updated every night to the latest nightly version of Simutrans-Extended and Pak128.Britain-Ex, which should be the same as the executable and pakset version available to download on that server.

Currently, the server is set up for performance and stability testing. I have put Rollmaterial's very large game (Britain 2010) on the server, which takes a lot of computational resources, to see how well that the server handles a larger game now that we have implemented multi-threading and the server has access to multiple cores. I should be very grateful for any feedback on performance and stability when using this server.

Please note that, because this server is currently running for testing purposes, please do not expect the current saved game to be persistent for any length of time, so do not invest a great deal of time into it (unless you want to save it for offline use) expecting this to be retained on the server long-term.

Do, however, feel free to edit the map to get a feel for responsiveness, as that is useful for testing.

My own tests so far are quite encouraging: I am able to maintain ~30fps on the client even with the path explorer running, and the game feels very responsive. I have not had any desync incident yet, although I have not done any map editing, either.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

passengerpigeon

Dear Jamespetts,
Sorry if this is the wrong thread, but as a new player of Pak128.Britain Extended, I logged onto the server today to spectate and "spawned" using the account Default Player, which appeared to own many vehicles and earn a lot of revenue, with only one other transport company operating. Has everybody just been using Default Player instead of creating individual companies?

Also, on an unrelated note, when building a stagecoach network on my singleplayer map, I noticed that the "Coaching Inn" has a station radius of over 10 tiles in each direction. Is this a bug, or intended behavior? What is the motivation to build intra-town omnibus routes if one station covers a whole town?

Thank you,
Passengerpigeon.

Ves

The online maps are for testing stuff and you can do in principle whatever you want. You can make a new company and play a around or continue with the default one, just bear in mind that the game might not be saved.

The radius is much much much bigger than in standard, this is intended as people are walking to the stops. If it is too far, they will stay home, even though they are in catchment area, therefore you still need to put stops also inside cities.

passengerpigeon

By "too far", do you mean that the walking time + journey time exceeds their tolerance? Would passengers be more likely to tolerate walking 30 minutes to and from coaching inns if they were going on a 4-hour stagecoach journey versus a 30-minute ride, or is it the other way around?

Ves

Im not 100% sure of the conditions, but I think that it is the distance that is been taken into account. So if the distance between the house and the stop (or even between two stations) is too great for that passenger, (s)he will stay home.
I belive the jurney time also takes account of the walking, so the jurneytime being this: time walking to stop, time riding and waiting, time walking to destination.

The time tolerance and walking distance is randomized for every passenger.

jamespetts

Quote from: passengerpigeon on August 17, 2017, 07:57:33 PM
By "too far", do you mean that the walking time + journey time exceeds their tolerance?

Yes, this is correct (and you need to add waiting time, too).

QuoteWould passengers be more likely to tolerate walking 30 minutes to and from coaching inns if they were going on a 4-hour stagecoach journey versus a 30-minute ride, or is it the other way around?

The complete answer is quite complex and involved and requires a detailed explanation of the mathematical modelling of a non-linear semi-random distribution of journey time tolerances. The simple answer is "sort of": passengers who are prepared to go on longer journeys have longer journey time tolerances, so may well have more spare time in their journey time tolerances to cope with walking half an hour to a staging inn - but there will be a significant fraction of passengers for whom that extra walk (possibly at both ends) tips the journey over the threshold and makes it too long.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

passengerpigeon

Going back to the topic of the Bridgewater-Brunel server, I noticed a very long stretch of abandoned railway diverging from the in-game equivalent of the Chiltern Main Line north of London and continuing north through several abandoned stations to Manchester Picadilly. Some stretches of track are still being autorenewed whereas others are mothballed, and one section in the snowy hills east of Manchester is electrified with old DC catenaries. Do you know what this line was used for and when services were terminated?
Thanks,
Passengerpigeon.

jamespetts

This map is not one that has developed during online play, but rather a large map intended approximately to replicate the UK network that I uploaded to the server to see how it copes with running a large and well developed map.

This is supposed to represent the old Great Central mainline, I think.

passengerpigeon

In that case, do you have a link to the base map that you used? In what in-game year did you import that map? The roads all seem to say "built 1750" and some tracks were first built in the 1800s. If this map did not develop during online play, am I allowed to add another railway line to serve unconnected towns (in an area of the map that doesn't represent real Britain) or should I leave the network as it is?
Thank you,
Passengerpigeon.

jamespetts

Do feel free to interact with the map as you please - it is there for testing purposes, so the more that you use it, the better that it will be tested. The map was created by a forum member, Rollmaterial: he may well have the original map somewhere: I only have a few versions of the saved game from the 19th century onwards that were uploaded for bug reports.

Do let me know whether you notice any significant unresponsiveness or whether you lose sync with the server.

passengerpigeon

The server seems to be offline now, but apart from occasional "skipping", which seemed to subside shortly after logging in, I didn't notice any other stability issues.

jamespetts

As stated in the other thread, I have fixed the bug and brought the server back online now.

passengerpigeon

Here, you can see the double-tracking of the abandoned coal line to Begstoke, as it is prepared for reopening and integration into the brand new Scottish Highlands Main Line. The line now has services from both Glaschu and London King's Cross.

DrSuperGood

I thought this server had its state reset regularly so progressing on it was kind of pointless... Is it finally stable?

jamespetts

I have not reset the server for some months, although I did reset it a few times when testing a few months ago. This is currently set aside for testing purposes to see how well that the game responds to people interacting with a large map.

The plan is to keep it online in its present state until the passenger and mail classes feature is ready, at which point I plan to start a new game from 1750 with that feature to see how that works with online play.

DrSuperGood

QuoteThe plan is to keep it online in its present state until the passenger and mail classes feature is ready, at which point I plan to start a new game from 1750 with that feature to see how that works with online play.
When you do, I suggest you make a clear instruction list how one can play on the server, especially if it is subject to nightly updates. A few months ago it took me forever to find the right versions to join the server, not something good for testing.

jamespetts

Quote from: DrSuperGood on August 25, 2017, 10:11:53 PM
When you do, I suggest you make a clear instruction list how one can play on the server, especially if it is subject to nightly updates. A few months ago it took me forever to find the right versions to join the server, not something good for testing.

Thank you for that suggestion - I shall keep that in mind.

jamespetts

Please note that, from to-morrow's nightly build onwards, the executables will point to a new announce server at list.extended.simutrans.org. This is currently in testing, so it is possible that it will not work correctly or that there will be some disruption to the normal operation of the announce server (including the server game not showing up in the list of online games).

I should be grateful for any testing and/or feedback on this from to-morrow onwards.