News:

Simutrans Forum Archive
A complete record of the old Simutrans Forum.

Enabling "avoid_overcrowding", the answer to my woes?

Started by megasycophant, February 05, 2010, 02:17:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

megasycophant

I've been doing exclusively passenger networks in Ex, so one of my main foci has of course been reducing those unhappy faces. While watching a stop yesterday, unhappy faces appeared although the stop wasn't over capacity, which caused me to revisit my understanding of how they work. I had assumed that a stop's unhappy passengers count is only incremented when the stop is either overcrowded or when passengers had to wait too long at the stop, but after re-reading the forums here (namely the "Overview of Simutrans-Experimental features" thread), it looks like the origin stop will show unhappy passengers if any of the transfers along the route to the destination are significantly overcrowded?

To use an example given my newfound understanding: if a passenger's route (letters indicating stops) is A->B->C->D, and he reaches C to find it overcrowded, then the unhappy faces are incremented at stop A, his origin stop. Is this true? If so, this is one of my biggest headaches in the game since it's not indicative of what problem along his route resulted in unhappiness, leaving a lot of guesswork in determining which stops are really a problem.

Enabling "avoid_overcrowding" for the above example, the unhappy passengers would be incremented at stop C, the overcrowded transfer, rather than at stop A. Is this true? If so, enabling avoid_overcrowding should make it much easier to determine which stops are really the problem stops.

Thanks much, and thanks again for all the work on Ex.

EDIT: Also, will enabling this take effect in games in progress (saves) or must I start a new game?