News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

More city buildings

Started by Archon, February 13, 2010, 10:47:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Hood

@sdog,
If 4 rotations are specified, they will be used at random on generation, so approx 25% facing any direction, and it will rotate properly.  If 1 rotation is used, they will all point the same way, but when you rotate, the rest of the map buildings rotate but the church wouldn't.  Hope that makes more sense.

Most churches do point East, but enough don't for me not to worry about it.  Examples I can think of are Liverpool Cathedral and All Souls London, both of which point more or less north.

sdog

@the hood

thanks for explaining the random rotations. in that case it's impossible to align the churches properly anyway.
do you think this is worth an extension request for standard? i was missing an indicator pointing north for quite a while, geting confused when turning the map. churches could do that job in a very natural way.

i got to be carefull if i travel to england. usually i use churches to determine directions on overcast days and during nights. (i love the japanese custom of having a compas rose in front of every subway entrance!)

Archon

Jury decides executioner gets to work.
Stone shops and houses ready. 4 more buildings to go.

I am not getting impatient. Just starting to have fun. :)
Should I update my zip now or after they are all done?

If someone finds this useful, feel free to use it.

The Hood

Just update once they are all done.  I'll include them all in the next release of pak128.Britain, which will be pretty soon after you finish them!

AP

Quote from: sdog on February 24, 2010, 04:12:15 PMthe offtopic that really surprises and interest me however is that many english churches don't have their apsis in the east. is this through all periods, or only for some architecural styles/aeras?
If the church was built first, or at the same time as the surrounding estate, or in its own enclosure (large churchyard), one of which is normally the case, then it will almost always face east-west. If the church is built later than the surrounding buildings, say on a constrained urban site, it will fairly often be oriented to best fit in with surrounding buildings or features (eg align with roads etc). If the church is pre-Georgian, it's a fairly safe bet it faces east-west.

Quotei love the japanese custom of having a compas rose in front of every subway entrance
I carry a lensatic compass in my bag at all times (both for work and for hiking), it's very handy to avoid getting lost in places like London!

wlindley

more on the building, (better roof texture and windows)... no progress on the surroundings yet.

The Hood

That's better.  Just watch out for stray white pixels around the edges...

Archon

All buildings ready. Remembered special colors while writing this message and removed those.
http://www.saunalahti.fi/jusskiiv/pak/A_Buildings.pak.zip

Also made non-corner version of tenement and stone cottage.

haven't tested these much yet but should be ok.

wlindley

The Hood

Excellent!  Going in SVN now...

Archon

This is preview of my new school/prison.

it still needs lot of work.

jamespetts

Very much like! But "school/prison" - what are you saying about education? ;-)
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

The Hood

Very nice.  I was wondering why it had gone quiet on here.  I think we'll go with school rather than prison.

Archon

well it is supposed to be school but it looks more like prison to me. And there are gates so kids have no way to escape. :)

AP

Prisons don't generate passengers in quite the same way as schools do...  :D

That one starts to remind me of Scotland Street School (CR MacKintosh), which has its own 'compound'

Re prisons, if you want to do one, maybe a victorian type on the radial model plan: Link

Dwachs

Nice building! Be it a prison or a school :P

But the roof looks a little bit too continuous. There should be some more contrast around the roof ridges.
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

Archon

Second take.

It looks maybe little more like school now but yard needs some details.
What do you think about those roof windows?
Second picture is first from that angle so there is still more work needed for it.

jamespetts

I like the roof windows...

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

The Hood

Yard details could include some things like hopscotch squares or a football goal or similar marked on the floor/wall.  Roof light is a good idea, but maybe better smaller.

AP

Don't forget a sign out the front (the sort that would say "Anytown Grammar School" on it). That'll help too.

wlindley

Can't get the latest tilecutter working on my linux system (python script just returns with no display, no error), perhaps someone can take this over?  gimp source

jamespetts

That looks beautiful - although I'd think that the graveyard would need more graves, and possibly iron railings around it, too...?

The Hood

I agree with jamespetts.  Also leave the grass as blank and let the game fill it in with the underlying ground.  I use tilecutter under wine, and it is rather tempramental.  I'll have a look at it when I get time if no-one else does before me - I don't have much time for simutrans right now...

Ashley

Quote from: wlindley on March 07, 2010, 02:42:57 PM
Can't get the latest tilecutter working on my linux system (python script just returns with no display, no error), perhaps someone can take this over?  gimp source

Could you post the tilecutter.log file? Most likely reason for it exiting so quickly is not having wxPython installed.

Nice looking church :)
Use Firefox? Interested in IPv6? Try SixOrNot the IPv6 status indicator for Firefox.
Why not try playing Simutrans online? See the Game Servers board for details.

kierongreen

Quote from: Archon on March 05, 2010, 05:51:58 PM
Second take.

It looks maybe little more like school now but yard needs some details.
What do you think about those roof windows?
Second picture is first from that angle so there is still more work needed for it.
Wow, just wow :) I think it l looks perfect - though obviously ingame screenshot would be nice to check consistency but looks good to me!

ӔO

oohhh, some nice progress here :D
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

Archon

Some progress still little things that need work.

wlindley

I can almost smell the chalk and the floor-wax.

The Hood

Very nice indeed.  I may need to ban your contributions from the pak as they are nicer than mine  :P

kierongreen

Regarding the latest renders - you seem to have shadows enabled in some form. While it's a nice effect rest of renders don't have it (and it doesn't work well with the simutrans engine which is why I didn't have them to begin with).

wlindley

Haven't done much work on it for awhile, but for the record here's the Stone Church files (source and pak).  Mostly needs ground removed (except in graveyard, where the grass is always greener) and correct fences added.

Archon

Little bug fix for previously released buildings.
http://www.saunalahti.fi/jusskiiv/1880-office-5f.png

Should go /citybuildings/images/com/ in svn

The Hood

@wlindley - link does not appear to work...

jamespetts

The Hood,

I have downloaded it - the revised version can be found in my Pak128.Britain-Ex Github repository.

wlindley

re-uploaded stone church file to correct server this time (oops).