News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

More city buildings

Started by Archon, February 13, 2010, 10:47:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Hood

Nice.  Is this a replacement or a new building?

Archon

It is new.
It is supposed to be more modern version of old 3 story brick terrace.

jamespetts

Following discussions here, it has become apparent that there is a significant lack of high density city buildings in the 1920-1950 era (especially after 1930). Does anyone feel like drawing some art deco apartments and offices? Perhaps the retirement dates of some other buildings might be extended somewhat, too?

The Hood - perhaps you could send me some .blends and textures so that I could have a go at one or two...?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

The Hood

Which ones do you want?  As far as I'm concerned, city buildings are quite low on my priorities right now.  I'm currently working through a list of graphical bugfixes etc, and then it's back to work on the ships, and I don't have a huge amount of simutrans time at the minute anyway.

jamespetts

Ahh, in which case, I'd better have a go myself, unless Archnon or WLindley or someone else wants a go. As to the .blends and textures: can you send me all of the textures and a good sample of .blends from which I can make various city buildings, when I get the time, perhaps including the 60s shops/flats, the tenements, if you have them, the 1960s tower blocks, and perhaps anything else that you think might help (the art deco airport buildings, perhaps...?).

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

AP

QuoteFollowing discussions here, it has become apparent that there is a significant lack of high density city buildings in the 1920-1950 era (especially after 1930
I recall another discussion a long ago noting that the reason for there being no high-density buildings in a 1920-1950 style, is that very few were built in reality - this being the time period when much of suburbia was built - and only in the 1960s did high density blocks become favourable again.

Not sure how that resolved itself re simutrans, however.

jamespetts

Well, there are some high density buildings from that era around (I know of a number in London), so we should have a few in the game, especially since not having them causes all sorts of problems as discussed in the thread to which I linked...

wlindley

Perhaps one way to model the "suburbia is wonderful" period would be to extend some of the earlier high-density buildings' lifetimes to around 1960, while increasing the probability of the period's low-density buildings?  This would permit a few of the older buildings to appear in games starting in 1940-1950, would it not?

Perhaps the "high probability" versions of the low-density houses would be 1940-1960, and then reappearing in 1960 with standard probability alongside higher-density buildings...

jamespetts:  perhaps we could find some Google streetviews of those London buildings?

jamespetts

WLindley,

yes, we could give the 1930s high density buildings a low chance. As to street view pictures, here's one, for a start...

Archon

New bakery candidate for early years. If you like it I will make something similar for butcher, fishmonger and greengrocer.

does industry shops support 8 rotations?

The Hood

That looks great.  AFAIK industry doesn't support 8 rotations (it doesn't even detect road edges in the way city buildings do, which can lead to these shops facing the wrong way on streets...)

Archon

First two ready. Bakery (green) and butcher (red)

The Hood

Sorry, should have mentioned this before, but can we stick to the same colour schemes as the existing industry graphics?  Green/white = greengrocer, red/white = butcher.  I think bakery is brown/white, but check the existing graphics.  It will be less confusing that way. 

Archon

Well
Then that green goes as greengrocer. :)

Archon

The Hood

Archon

Got bored and made 2 new tenements.

Paks and sources are here http://www.saunalahti.fi/jusskiiv/pak/tenements.zip

The Hood

Nice work, although the tops of the chimney stacks (not the pots) look a little too black.  Maybe replace this with a brick texture, and snow in winter?

jamespetts

I hope that Archon gets bored more frequently in future...

The Hood

Talking of Archon's boredom, did you ever finish the school, or did you get bored of that too? :p

Archon

School has problem with iron fence and simutrans 1 bit transparency. + I didn't get tile cutter working.

I could remake 4 story version winter images with snow on chimney stacks.

wlindley

Archon: Another excellent addition, love it!

TheHood: Updated 1950s shops including Butcher and Furniture, Department Store, and the early 1950 storefront supermarket (pak, dat, and png) here.

The Hood

Thanks.  Wlindley and Archon shops are in r288.  Archon, if you could fix those chimneys that would be great.

Archon

Snow images for tenements have now more snowy chimney stacks.

http://www.saunalahti.fi/jusskiiv/pak/tenements.zip

Archon

All chimney stacks for new tenements are now fixed + I have done some work on modern industry buildings.

jamespetts

The Hood

Another welcome addition :-)

Archon

First versions of industry buildings ready.
http://www.saunalahti.fi/jusskiiv/pak/industry.zip

feedback for graphics is welcome.

The Hood

Very good.  I'm just not sure about the white edges around the tiles in those snow images - it looks a bit odd for that small bit of pavement to have a very different snow texture to the tarmac car park area.

Archon

bump

Some progress on old project.

Has there been any progress on sidewalk snow graphics?

The Hood

Excellent.  Sidewalk snow graphics are now do-able in game, but I haven't drawn any yet...

ӔO

nice work on the new buildings.

If I may comment on the snow images. Parking lots and sidewalks will have a snow mound if they are plowed. Some lots of a parking lot may become unusable when all the snow is piled up and usually they're pushed into a spot that gets low usage during non snow days. There are often large mounds separating sidewalks and the road that only get cleared at intersections.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

sdog

Snow mounds -- we're talking about england here!  ;-P

AP