News:

Want to praise Simutrans?
Your feedback is important for us ;D.

Turn timeline on.

Started by Severous, November 27, 2011, 03:01:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Severous

Hi

I just spent a couple of hours creating myself a scenario but forgot to turn the timeline on when I created the map. 

Is there any way to turn timeline back on now?  (I am not a programmer) 

Pak 128 V111 r4911

Thanks.
Regards
Sev.

Fifty

Yes. To quote myself on another topic:
Quote from: Fifty on October 30, 2011, 10:38:05 PM
Just open menuconf.tab, change
#dialog_tool[27]=
to some unused keyboard shortcut, for example "~" and remove the #
dialog_tool[27]=,~

Then open the game, press ~ (or whatever button you chose) and then change use_timeline from 0 to 1. Then save.
Of course, non-timeline vehicles, ways, buildings, and factories will still remain...but new ones will follow timeline.

Menuconf.tab is located in pakxyz/config

This should work unless you have problems with high-level buildings from a newer era not being replaced as cities grow.

This trick of opening the settings dialogue should allow you to change many other map settings while in play; if you, like me, like to create maps you will find it very helpful.
Why do we park on the driveway and drive on the parkway?

Severous

Yes. Nice one.  Thank you Fifty.  It didn't work at first then I checked. I had forgotten to delete the '#' at the start of the line.

Played on any interesting maps recently Fifty?
Regards
Sev.

Fabio

Could timeline be turned on by default?

Severous

That question could be made into a poll?
Regards
Sev.

Zeno

At the moment, AFAIK the status is:
# Enforce vehicle introduction dates?
# 0 = all vehicles available from start of the game
# 1 = use introduction dates
# 2 = (default) use settings during game creation
# 3 = use settings during game creation, new games on

Whenever I start a new game it always remember last choice, which is the default switch.
I don't see any reason to change it.
Moreover, this value may be changed through the "Settings" dialog to "3" in order to make it appear selected on further new games, despite the last choice.
Edit: This setting (3) appears to be malfunctioning. It switches wrong to "no timeline" after creating 2 games without timeline. After closing and launching ST again, it switches back to "timeline on" value though.

Junna

Is there a way to go backwards in the timeline and say, go back to an earlier date and play anew from there? I think that would be useful for games where timeline is on and things start disappearing by the 2100's.

falconne

Quote from: Zeno on November 27, 2011, 07:12:03 PM
Whenever I start a new game it always remember last choice, which is the default switch.

Hmm, I might be doing something wrong, because whenever I start a new game it's always off and I have to remember to turn it on. I thought it was because simuconf.tab in pak128 sets use_timeline=2 and this overrides the setting from the base simuconf.tab file.

Fabio

Quote from: falconne on November 28, 2011, 06:20:12 AM
Hmm, I might be doing something wrong, because whenever I start a new game it's always off and I have to remember to turn it on. I thought it was because simuconf.tab in pak128 sets use_timeline=2 and this overrides the setting from the base simuconf.tab file.

Same for me. I thought it is because I mostly do testing and I have a patchwork pak (named "testpak" ;D)... but probably default should be 3 instead of 2...

prissi

Any setting in simuconf.tab will be applied to new games. Only existing games will not be modified by 2 and 3. Setting 0 and 1 will modified games also on loading. Only if this is set nowhere in simuconf.tab, it will have the old setting.

Severous

I dont really understand all these references to tabs and stuff, nor do I want to.  I just play the game. 

I would have thought that given the importance and realism of the game timeline features that sticking to timeline should be the easiest and happen automatically.  Players should have to work hard to make a game ignore timeline.
Regards
Sev.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Well, it's not like you paid for the game, is it? What's the harm in learning a little bit on how to configure it how you want it to be played?

Part of the reason for all these options is that different people like to play different ways. Or do you think we should tailor the game to suit only your specific preferences?

falconne

Quote from: Severous on November 28, 2011, 07:41:24 PM
I dont really understand all these references to tabs and stuff, nor do I want to.  I just play the game. 

In your pak folder there should be a config directory (e.g. pak128\config) containing a simutab.conf. Open that file and find the line that says use_timeline=2. Change that to 3. That should fix it.

I was caught out by this in my first game and it being my first game I was wondering why the game had such a confusing array of vehicles :). I think this should be set to 3 by default in the pak config file as that is a sensible default for new players to learn the game. Experienced players would know how to change it.

prissi

In the executable is is explicitely set to 3. Blame pak128 for overwriting that ...

Zeno

We'll review that in the pak then.

VS

VS hides in shame

Fixed. BTW, the comment in that file says default is 2. That's now bogus, too?

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

prissi

Default is 2 (historic reasons) but the simuconf.tab that comes with simutrans set it to 3 ...

VS

OK, I changed that line to 3 and commented out, so that should be better :)

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!