News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

Conversion to utf-8

Started by VS, February 14, 2012, 08:52:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VS

How hard is it to change an existing language to utf-8? What would have to be done?

(Ongoing discussion about conversion of Czech)

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Dwachs

There is a button in the translator page to change the encoding. I will not press it  :-X

Changing the encoding will affect and break all translations of everything (paksets, web site content, who knows what).

The best idea to test is to create a new language like Czech_utf8 and upload some files. What is needed: a suitable bdf font (if the existing ones to not cover Czech), and a tab-file of translated strings (base program strings) in utf8-encoding.
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

VS

Font and tab-files are not a problem. However...

Quote from: Dwachs on February 15, 2012, 08:00:45 AM
Changing the encoding will affect and break all translations of everything (paksets, web site content, who knows what).
Well, that's what the question was really about. Sorry about not being precise enough. I mean - will we have to download all texts, convert and reupload?

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Dwachs

I would say yes. It sounds like the more failure proof way than fiddling with the translators internals.
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

VS

...I'd love to hear from Frank or Jonas, though, before things start breaking :)

sdog

wouldn't this be something that could and should be done globaly when a new gui is implemented, i'm refering to Markohs' two projects CEGUI and 3D. There souldn't be no need to support anything but utf8 today.

prissi

As far, as I know, the compiler internally handles everything at unicode. Input via web-upload must be also Unicode anyway. Only when exporting, the codepage is chosen. But make a language cz_test. Encode is as latin 2, upload something, change encoding and export.

But be aware that SDL has some issues with unicode, if there are letter composed of two keypresses.

VS

I tested the suggested changes, and it seems that this is possible. I think that's all we need and great news :D