News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

SMSC June Edition: City airports

Started by vilvoh, June 01, 2010, 06:43:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vilvoh

Here we go on with the Simutrans Monthly Screenshot Contest. The June's topic is city airports

Rules

• Picture max size: 800x600
  • Available picture formats: png or jpg
  • Topic: City airports
  • You may use any pakset you want
  • Zoom is allowed.
  • Please include a short description and mention the pak you've used.
  • You can upload the picture to files.[ simutrans [dot] us (site down, do not visit) ] or any other image hosting service, and then post link to the image here.
  • The nomination period ends at the half of the month. Then, we'll make a poll to decide the winner(s)

Prize:

A mention at Simutrans Hall of Fame, compliments by the community and one post including your picture in the official blog.

References:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reykjavík_Airport
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_Airport_Manchester
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexico_City_International_Airport
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_City_Airport
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kansas_City_International_Airport

Have fun!

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

gauthier

see this one too  :P
=> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_de_Gaulle_International_Airport

modnote: removed ~ vilvoh

DirrrtyDirk

Why CDG? I wouldn't really call that one a "city airport"... IMHO, CDG is more comparable to say London Heathrow than to London City Airport, for example.

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

The Hood

Actually I would say Heathrow is more "city" than CDG - Heathrow is surrounded by built-up areas on three out of four sides, whereas CDG is in open fields...

In any case London City is more truly a city airport than either of these.

VS

"Topic: downtown" - o rly?

no wai!!! ~ vilvoh

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

rifleman13

This is Hartlepool City Airport

Built in 1929 as Hartlepool Aerodome, it serves the city of Hartlepool as its gateway to other cities in the region. The airport is just walk away from downtown Hartlepool to the southeast. It has also an underground road tunnel system just under runway 09 linking the terminals together and serving access for cargo deliveries.

Pakset used: Pak128.Britain with Pak.128 aircraft since "Britain" has no planes yet.

Please note that the city around the airport is built automatically, i.e. no intervention from me. I was planning another runway parallel to 09/27 but the Stadium was in the way, i.e. can't demolish it.

MoTw

looks quite cool^^ Let's see what other people send in :)
world is like a parachute: it works better when it's open
whenever you feel lost and alone, always remember your calculator is something you can count on
pak96.comic addons

knightly

@rifleman13

Just curious : why are there some sheep fields inside the airport, next to the runways :P? Wouldn't the sheep be scared to death when the "giant birds" land or take off next to them?

Lmallet

Quote from: Knightly on June 02, 2010, 01:45:09 PM
@rifleman13

Just curious : why are there some sheep fields inside the airport, next to the runways :P? Wouldn't the sheep be scared to death when the "giant birds" land or take off next to them?

A sheep farm is probably in the neighborhood, and he left a few blank spots around the airport, so the farm sprawled there.  Sheep seem to love to be exactly where you don't want them to be.  :)

rifleman13

Quote from: Knightly on June 02, 2010, 01:45:09 PM
@rifleman13

I like to think that there's some friction between the sheepherders and the airport authority. Been planning to remove it but forgot about it when I moved on to expand the network.

Václav

Pak: Pak128
Addons (seen in screenshot):
- railway station platforms (by Sim)
- railway station extension building (by me)
- railway tracks (by me - currently only tunnels used)
- train locomotives and passenger/post cars (by Sim)

My favourite place where to build airport - stuck (tied?) to any railway station ... and airport will grow soon.

Chybami se člověk učí - ale někteří lidé jsou nepoučitelní

onre

pak128 nightly from about two months ago, no addons.

This is the Winchester West airport from a large passenger game I've been playing. City center is south of airport and on the west side is the town of Dudley. The north side of tracks is part of a town called Oxford. There's an underground train line from the airport to towns of Dudley and York, where there are many industries with lots of commuters. The city of Winchester is served mainly by the tram line and the large bus terminal on north side of tracks has local lines to Oxford and lines to nearby towns of Burlington, Bolton and Petersborough. From the train station you can board a commuter train with transfer possibilities to virtually every possible location on the island. On average there are three to four thousand passengers waiting on the airport and full planes are taking off and landing constantly.

Ogive

This is my Wake airport attached to one of the main railway stations. Made with pak 128 and no addons.

vilvoh

The water channel infrastructure is very interesting, Ogive. I see you have built a river dock next to the railway station, and you've built river locks instead of tunnels to cross the water channels.

Ogive

The trains have a speed priority over everything else thus usually I try to build them in straight line with the least amount of height changes. The canal is an old feature for some freight that stops on the rail station and some passengers to outer lying cities where the rail doesn't exist... I have a lot of passengers coming to this station so I have to have as many modes of transport as possible to get rid of them  ;D BTW the freight rail goes on an independent rail network from the passenger rail but often shares the same stations. I ve built it parallel to each other...

also locks look cool

ger

I´m back, and i present the CO Haneda Int. Airport

Simutrans 102.2.1 + Pak128.japan+ Japanese Addons + Airport set of Pak128 (because of the lack of airport addons on pak128.japan)

Its an Artificial Island Airport, in the middle of the sea, conceted by 1 subway line (wako shinsen line)(the city has 22 lines in total), 1 frecuent bus route(to dowtown, Twin Towers Station(10 subway lines), And CO Ekimae(conected to shinkansen and 5 subway lines)), also its conected by a tunnel to the National Highway System.

The airport isn´t so popular, beacuse of the huge metro/subway/commuter rail system, and for long distance routes there is a shinkansen high speed rail network.

Václav

??? I am sorry but could you make daylight screenshot? I would be much better.

Václav

gauthier

You have a badly adjusted screen, I can see everything on his picture ... but the subway (I don't know why  ??? )

vilvoh

I'm not agree with Vaclav. Night screenshots are a great way to show the cool night-day cycle effect.

The Hood

I assume that is a model of Tokyo (i.e. based on real life)?  Tokyo looks best at night IMO, so I think the night shot is great :)

Václav

Quote from: gauthier on June 07, 2010, 08:23:35 PM
You have a badly adjusted screen, I can see everything on his picture ... but the subway (I don't know why  ??? )

1. My screenshot is not alone where not only airport is seen (see Onre's and Ogive's ones)
2. Yes - two tunnel entrances in the front of depot are (mainly) for subway - but when topic is about airports, why to show what is in underground

Quote from: vilvoh on June 07, 2010, 08:26:12 PM
I'm not agree with Vaclav. Night screenshots are a great way to show the cool night-day cicle effect.

I have nothing against night screenshots ... but they would be published together with daylight ones.

vilvoh

Quote from: VaclavMacurek on June 07, 2010, 08:46:27 PM
I have nothing against night screenshots ... but they would be published together with daylight ones.

I know but it depends on the author, and he decides how to show that part of the Simutrans world. Sometimes you want to show the small details and other you want the enjoy with the whole picture. Anyway, if people don't like it or they can't see anything, probably it won't recieve many votes so...

PS: I take note of your idea of day & night screenshots for future editions... ;)

DirrrtyDirk

I was also thinking about publishing my version of Tokyo Haneda airport, but I don't think that would be a good idea any more now. Putting the same model up twice, would IMO set a wrong undertone. Oh well, since I don't have a screenshot ready yet, and I'm not sure if I had enough time to do so anyway... I'll just wait until one of the next contests catches my interest.  ;)

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

vilvoh

Two days left, folks and we'll move on to the poll of nominees..

MoTw

Unfortunately, I (almost) always play without airplanes, so no entry by me this month ;-)

Not to forget: One entry has also been posted at the German Forum:
http://www.simutrans-forum.de/forum/thread.php?postid=64545#post64545
world is like a parachute: it works better when it's open
whenever you feel lost and alone, always remember your calculator is something you can count on
pak96.comic addons

TheUniqueTiger

I usually have very small airports with runways just 5 tiles long and taxiways & loading place quite close to runway to save maintenance. I guess my airports are not even close to the competition!

petter

Unfortunately, I never came to the time when planes are available, so no screenshot from me this time :D

-MWB-

us (site down, do not visit) ]/image/show/UyC_9Wui_1/simu800x600.jpg]

Hattingen Airport, build originally in the 1930´s. During the last 15 years, many buildings and routes were added.
This airport was build to transport passengers and till now, there is no other freight transported.
The Railway connects 3 major cities, while the seen tram serves the city of Hattingen. There are also some bus routes to cities and factories.

PAK: Simutrans 102.2.2 & Pak128 and some addons from several sites

vilvoh

The nomination period is over, so this topic will be locked and now you can vote for the candidates at the poll.