News:

SimuTranslator
Make Simutrans speak your language.

Highway interchanges

Started by Celli, August 19, 2022, 04:23:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Celli

Hello everyone, I wanted to share my favorite 5 highway interchanges of my save game, I have a weird obsession with building highways in Simutrans, I think I am not the only one so I thought why not share. It's not something wow but still, I hope someone else will enjoy them as much as I do :)

Note: I strive to create a map that looks as realistic as possible to the real world

Pak128
v123.0.1
Save game ~3years (I would estimate it is around 40% complete)

Isaac Eiland-Hall

I've been building freeways since before one-way signs existed. You've gotten my attention, for sure, as I'm one of the weirdo trucks-and-busses players. hehe. I like trains, but I rarely use them.

I don't make interchanges nearly that complicated. For a while I was using elevated ways to make some complicated things I've seen IRL like multistack exchanges.

But this reminds me that a while ago I intended to see if I could replicate some modern designs - like a diverging diamond, things like that. I'll see if I can do some things maybe on Sunday, and if I do, I'll come back and post here :)

Your interchanges look really great!

Matthew

I like the fact that you have a coherent road numbering system. I do that in single-player games too.
(Signature being tested) If you enjoy playing Simutrans, then you might also enjoy watching Japan Railway Journal
Available in English and simplified Chinese
如果您喜欢玩Simutrans的话,那么说不定就想看《日本铁路之旅》(英语也有简体中文字幕)。

Celli

Quote from: Isaac Eiland-Hall on August 19, 2022, 07:01:38 PMI've been building freeways since before one-way signs existed. You've gotten my attention, for sure, as I'm one of the weirdo trucks-and-busses players. hehe. I like trains, but I rarely use them.

I don't make interchanges nearly that complicated. For a while I was using elevated ways to make some complicated things I've seen IRL like multistack exchanges.

But this reminds me that a while ago I intended to see if I could replicate some modern designs - like a diverging diamond, things like that. I'll see if I can do some things maybe on Sunday, and if I do, I'll come back and post here :)

Your interchanges look really great!

Thanks, really happy you like them! I also tried out some very realistic designs but mostly it take up too much space as you have only double lane roads. I like adding trains but by far not as densly as I see many players do, it makes a lot of profit though. Curiously waiting on your projects, have a good weekend :)

Celli

Quote from: Matthew on August 20, 2022, 03:27:09 PMI like the fact that you have a coherent road numbering system. I do that in single-player games too.

Yeah I started numbering when I had much less built out, so numbering wasnt a problem, then I reached the limit of signs you can put for one firm, so I had to plan out how much signs to put with which firms for which type of road. I had to redisign a lot because midway I thought on adding a new road numbering system instead of the highway-main road I have now highway, expressway, main road and provincial road. There is still a lot of work to do with it because the map got so big already. (Now I have a whole spreadsheet with a lot of the info of my save game because as i told i also have provinces, province capitals etc.)

Matthew

Quote from: Celli on August 20, 2022, 03:48:08 PMthen I reached the limit of signs you can put for one firm

That's a lot of signs  :o

Quote(Now I have a whole spreadsheet with a lot of the info of my save game because as i told i also have provinces, province capitals etc.)

We have a similar playstyle I think!

Although I am reminded of an article I once read by the journalist/designer Martin Belam. He said that he stopped playing Football Manager when he was writing a spreadsheet with his transfer targets for the next season and thought "I make spreadsheets for a living - why am I doing this in my time off?"!
(Signature being tested) If you enjoy playing Simutrans, then you might also enjoy watching Japan Railway Journal
Available in English and simplified Chinese
如果您喜欢玩Simutrans的话,那么说不定就想看《日本铁路之旅》(英语也有简体中文字幕)。

Combuijs

QuoteWe have a similar playstyle I think!

Yup, me too :-)
Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

DThunder518

Often when I do highways, I end up with somewhat complex interchanges. It never occurred to me to label the highways though, so that's food for thought.

This was one that involved an bus station underneath the main train station:

This was the beginning stage of it. I thought I made a video of a later stage when things were more complex