News:

The Forum Rules and Guidelines
Our forum has Rules and Guidelines. Please, be kind and read them ;).

SDL.dll not included with simuwin-sdl-120-1-1.zip

Started by kazarmy, November 26, 2015, 03:00:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kazarmy

SDL.dll is not included with simuwin-sdl-120-1-1.zip. I'm currently using the SDL.dll from simuwin-sdl-120-0-1.zip -- it's working fine so far.

Dwachs

SDL is a third-party library, there should be no differences by using SDL.dll from former releases.
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

DrSuperGood

What are the benefits for Windows users to use SDL over GDI? As far as I can tell the performance is pretty close and all supported Windows installations should come with GDI.

Ters

I suspect that there might have been some difference back in the Windows 9x days. DirectDraw was created for a reason. Most of it's advantages were later merged back into GDI (GDI+ actually) in Windows XP. Perhaps there can still be some driver bugs from time to time that only manifest themselves when using GDI.

Dwachs

One of the two versions was not really capable of handling non-western character sets. Cant remember which one.
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

TurfIt

I believe it was the SDL version that had trouble with some languages; Not sure if that's still the case. For the other languages, SDL is certainly a better choice - performs 5% faster at screen updates, and doesn't have the issues with music/sound volume that the Microsoft introduced to the GDI version with WinVista and later.

The missing .dll was pointed out three weeks ago in the 'new release?' thread. Along with posting a SDL2 OSX version which has yet to appear at sourceforge for general download...

Ters

Quote from: TurfIt on November 26, 2015, 06:18:33 PM
doesn't have the issues with music/sound volume that the Microsoft introduced to the GDI version with WinVista and later.

To be fair, Simutrans is using the multimedia APIs in ways I don't think they were meant to be. One of them was probably sort of deprecated already in Windows 95. Unfortunately, standard mingw doesn't have any of the newer APIs. And MIDI support in Windows is getting poorer and poorer. (The ability to specify default MIDI device is apparently gone.)

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Although it's a shame, I think MIDI support is probably going the way of Fax and dialup-modem support. :)

Ters

Quote from: TurfIt on November 27, 2015, 12:14:29 AM
[patch] FluidSynth

As long as Simutrans can use hardware MIDI if available. Or even an already configured software MIDI. I can't tell from just reading the post whether FluidSynth is built into Simutrans, or if Simutrans will just be able to use if available on the system.

Vladki

I dont know what the patch does, but simutrans can play on sw midi just fine.

Ters

Quote from: Vladki on November 27, 2015, 05:09:11 PM
I dont know what the patch does, but simutrans can play on sw midi just fine.

Which software MIDI on which OS?

Vladki

Quote from: Ters on November 27, 2015, 06:57:49 PM
Which software MIDI on which OS?
Timidity on Linux. It used to work, but I play silently for quite a long time now, and in my compiled version from SVN sound does not work at all... I have to check with precompiled nightly or release version.

Ters

Quote from: Vladki on November 28, 2015, 09:47:54 PM
Timidity on Linux.

I don't think anything has changed on Linux in this regard. It's Windows that is now hardwired to Microsoft's software synthesizer. I don't know if it will rewire itself to a hardware synthesizer if available, but you can't use a different software synthesizer unless the program playing MIDIs explicitly ask for it, which I don't think the API Simutrans' native Windows MIDI uses supports. SDL might, perhaps.