News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

Forest (nutzwald)

Started by Fabio, February 23, 2009, 12:29:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fabio

just to make a placeholderher, the new forest is mine ;), i just started working on it...

VS

Thanks! What are you planning?

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Fabio

Here's some screenshots:

What do you think?

Zeno

Hey, that looks really good Fabio!

I only miss some disordered logs or rests and rubbish, near the way or maybe just in the middle... just some signal of "we've been working there" :D

The Hood

prissi

In this case, maybe the pak64 forest could serve as inspiration. THis still look to tide and regular for a forest imho.

Václav

Very good idea. But logs under roof and roof too look bit strange. Else it is very good. I think it is time to use this scheme also on other agricultural factories - cow farm and corn field (on grain farm and cotton farm already used).

Chybami se člověk učí - ale někteří lidé jsou nepoučitelní

whoami

To get a more natural border between forest and surrounding grass, parts of the forest's ground could be made transparent - at its borders, or even inside, to allow some patches of the natural vegetation to shine through.

VS

As whoami says, the sharp border between ground and mud is not very good. Otherwise it's good.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

agamemnus

Question: if we have 5 bits for transparency, why is the shadow dithered?

vilvoh

It's intended. The shadow was painted pixel by pixel...it's not an effect from graphic engine.

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

VS

We do not have 5, only one bit transparency ::)

PkK

The way the logs are stacked looks and is unrealistic. They would just fall over that way. You want them stacked like this:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:The_lumberjack_was_here.jpg

i.e. when there are two logs next to each other at the same height the logs in the layer above won't be positioned directly above. Instead each log in the upper layer will lie on top of the middle point between the logs in the lower layer.

Philipp

jamespetts

Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Fabio

VS

Fabio

This is could be a nearly-final image (3*3, no rotation, with fields).

Feedback is more than welcome!

IgorEliezer

Hmmmmm...Those log piles with whipped cream look delicious. ;D

VS

Nom nom nom?

I am not entirely sure about the stumps everywhere, even in roads :) Otherwise it's ready, I think!

Fabio

thank you!
i think i will remove some, then... i want to ask you if for pak128 policy new buildings should have ALWAYS 4 rotations (the hardest to paint without 3D), 2 rotations (pretty easy, mirroring and adjusting the shadows), or even only one?
i think i can easily do 2 rotations (it won't eat much time).
by the way i was thinking of this forest for Tundra, Temperate and Alpine climates.
do you think we need also another forest for Temperate/Mediterranean and one for Tropical? (they would just keep the same image, only changing the trees.

VS

I would say, keep it as you wish. Obviously if you produce all rotations, I can not be so cruel as to accept only some :P On the other hand, who really needs them all?

Fabio

Zeno

Oh fabio, it looks really nice!
Maybe those logs look too well aligned together for me; I usually like some chaos here and there, ya know... ;)

About rotations:
Quote from: VS on August 27, 2009, 09:50:48 AM
On the other hand, who really needs them all?
Me agree. One rotation is needed; two -> great; four -> superb!

VS

Well. As soon as svn is back, it's in... I already exhausted my list of adjectives to use for new items :D

EDIT: sorry! I missed the linked files. Mending as I write.

stmaker

Good work... but I want more wood XD
Version using: Simutrans v111.0
Paks: pak64, pak96.comic, pak128 openr582, pak128.Britain, pak128.Japan, pak192.comic
Using: Paint.NET, Paint, Photoshop, SketchUp
Future Addon(s): Building (Link)
Current Addon(s): Eye-See Mart and Several Building addons  Ask me any questions. I'm free.

Václav

Fabio: I am sorry, but forest should grow everywhere excepting desert (and may be also mediterran). Could you change it? I know that I could call this earlier but...

Fabio

Sounds very reasonable... :)

VS

Changed to: tropic,mediterran,temperate,tundra. Left out are rocky,arctic,desert.

Václav

Thanks - but sawmill needs this too. So I hope this was changed too.

VS

Thanks - fixed as well.