News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

Nightly development builds

Started by jamespetts, November 27, 2016, 10:29:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamespetts

I have set up my server to produce nightly builds of the latest development version of Simutrans-Extended. They can be found here:

Nightly builds

At the time of writing, only the Linux and pakset builds are working. The Linux builds are 64-bit only (does anyone use 32-bit Linux these days?). I am hoping to add Windows builds in due course.

Cross-compiled Windows builds, along with Linux (x64) builds (both a graphical client and a command line server), are available. These are currently only executables, so it is necessary for the time being to combine executable, configuration files and pakset manually.

Currently, the nightly builds are made from the devel-new-2 branch for the code and the half-heights branch for the pakset (both Pak128.Britain-Ex and Pak128.Sweden-Ex).

Edit 1: Pak128.Britain-Ex and Pak128.Sweden-Ex are now also available.

Edit 2: Simutrans-Extended and Pak128.Britain-Ex are now both built from their respective master branches on Github.

Edit 3
: If you would like to know what has changed since you last downloaded a version, see here for a list of the commented Github commits (which will show all the changes to the code and contain a short description for what each does) for Simutrans-Extended, here for Pak128.Britain-Ex, and here for Pak128.Sweden-Ex.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Ves

Wow this is great news! Congratulations!  :thumbsup:
When you get the windows builds up and running, I can stop uploading the devel-new builds to the server.exp.simutrans.com I guess?
One question though, how do you tell the difference between the versions (also applies to the paksets)?

jamespetts

I have yet to implement a versioning system, but my provisional view is that the easiest thing to do is to incorporate the date into the revision number, which should be able to be done automatically.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Moe Ron

With a lack of automatically compiled nightly executables for Windows, how can we blind laymen either find a source of previous executables, or compile our own?

jamespetts

There are some compiled manually from time to time on the link given in this thread.

Ves

There are excecutables for windows here: http://server.exp.simutrans.com/Devel-new-builds/

HOWEVER, those are compiled by me when I have time to do it, until James have figured out a way to make it automatic! This means that they might not be as fresh as the nightly build always.

edit
Beated by James!

jamespetts

I have updated this post to refer now to Simutrans-Extended and to record that working Windows builds are now available.

Matthew

First of all, thank you to James and other developers (Ves and Vladki seem to be active) for continuing to develop Simutrans-Extended.

Secondly, with this new method of distribution, it is not clear to me how players will understand how the game has changed when they download a new build (except by trial-and-error, which has the potential to take a lot of the fun away). For this reason, I would like to suggest that you consider creating a new Update Log pinned thread. This method has worked very well for the Dawn of Civilization modmod, which I used to play a lot. A quick glance will show you that it's also primarily developed by one person (Leoreth) using Github and he seems to find an efficient way to keep the player community informed. The more developer-focused commit messages stay on Github, I think.

Matthew

(Signature being tested) If you enjoy playing Simutrans, then you might also enjoy watching Japan Railway Journal
Available in English and simplified Chinese
如果您喜欢玩Simutrans的话,那么说不定就想看《日本铁路之旅》(英语也有简体中文字幕)。

jamespetts

Thank you for your suggestion. The reason that I have not done this is because it is very labour intensive, and my time is so exceedingly limited compared to the amount of work that needs to be done that I need to find any way that I can to eliminate high levels of ongoing work.

However, I always include a clear description of any changes in my Git commit comments, and a full list of commits can be seen here, which should include the comments. I will add the link to the Github commits log to the first post of this thread in order to draw people's attention to it.

Vladki

Hi, james. Could you add makeobj for windows to the nightly builds please?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

jamespetts

I have not been able to get makeobj cross-compiling to work for some reason: see here for details.

Vladki

In that case may I ask Ves to occasionally put a fresh compile of makeobj to server.exp.simutrans.com? There is a recent interest in extended on Czech forum, and a makoebj for windows is needed.

jamespetts

Yes, indeed; that would be helpful. Thank you.

Ves

Sure I will do that! I am however not home this entire week so it will have to wait until next week.

jamespetts

Ves

There you go! Now there should be a fresh makeobj in the devel-new folder on the server.exp.... Do you want me to hold it kind of updated?

jamespetts

Excellent - thank you. That is very kind. Can you post a link to it so that I can add it to the page about how to get Simutrans-Extended? And, yes, if you could keep it up to date, that would be appreciated (although makeobj changes less frequently than the main executable).

jamespetts

Vladki

Ves, is there something special needed to run that makeobj? It fails with this error http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=16976.0 (last post)

jamespetts

If it is built with the Visual Studio executables, you will meed the MS Visual Studio redistributable package.

Ves

It is compiled with msvs2015 and I have not changed any setup since I last released them. It works on my computer (windows 10) compiling the british pakset.

Vladki

Thanks to James. Downloading MSVS pack helped

Ves

Hey guys,
There is a new makeobj available at http://server.exp.simutrans.com/Devel-new-builds/ which now features the new double block signal!

accord2

The new nightly builds complete don't have exe, how do I run simutrans?
Son of a railroad man,  growing up in train stations, lover of trains

HarrierST

Look in the thread:

"How to download Simutrans Extended." for:

Windows

A complete version of Simutrans-Extended containing both of the currently developed Extended specific paksets (being Pak128.Britain-Ex and Pak128.Sweden-Ex) can be downloaded in .zip format here.

To download the executable files individually, see here.

There is a link to the .exe.

jamespetts

Thank you for noting that. I have altered the build scripts so that, hopefully, the executables will be in the complete packages from to-morrow. Until then, you can download the executables individually as HarrierST suggests.

HarrierST

Yes it now downloads the .exe as well.   :)

zook2

Matthew just mentioned to me that there is a java auto-updater for those who play server games and need the newest build. I haven't tried it yet, but maybe you could mention that in the first post?