News:

The Forum Rules and Guidelines
Our forum has Rules and Guidelines. Please, be kind and read them ;).

When should the next version of PakBritain be released?

Started by The Hood, March 30, 2009, 05:54:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Hood

I want to know what people who play / want to play PakBritain think about the timing of the next binary release, so I know what to focus on once I've finished the current high priority graphics (nearly done).  Any  release will not be final, and I expect the pak will be in development for some time yet!  Please vote for one option, and I will act accordingly.  Also feel free to add comments or other requests below.  Thanks for your views.

jamespetts

I say release after the 'buses and rail goods vehicles, but before rebalancing: the next release can be considered a beta release, and feedback from users can help in the balancing process; but, without rail goods vehicles and 'buses, it is substantially incomplete, which might be very confusing to users.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

The Hood

Looking at the (limited) responses so far, I'm inclined to do buses, trucks, and rail freight wagons before the next release.  If you disagree, vote! (you can always get the sources of SVN and do battle with makeobj if you can't wait anyway).

VS

First and foremost you should make sure the release is worth using at all. But that it already is, right? I haven't checked 128.Britain for long time but there was a lot of progress.

If you know you will change a lot soon, consider just doing it first. If it's just adding, go forward. I believe in the "release early, often" - it always worked for me, even if I didn't quite follow it myself :P Well, nightlies are already the embodiment of this principle...

Personally I voted for buses+wagons since that is needed for transport, and I'm not sure about gameplay without that :)

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

The Hood

That is my general logic.  After the next release I am going to investigate setting up a "nightly" release facility off the SVN, similar to pak64 and pak128.  I think (but I'm not 100% certain!) that I have everything I need to make a standalone release, but it is only good at doing passenger or bulk goods transport using train and tram at the minute, which limits gameplay somewhat!  That is why I am thinking of delaying the beta release until we have trucks, buses, and the ability to transport all types of freight in the game!

Lord Vetinari

My two cents: I don't know if this has already been "fixed" (in which case, sorry), but the next relese should have at least one rail bridge and maybe a road bridge too, usable during the XIX century.
The wooden trestle that is already in the pak may be enough, I think; the only problem with it is that now (at least in my games) it appears only after 1900, which make it quite useless because of its 10 km/h speed limit.
I really like the pak, by the way  ;D

The Hood

I think the final vote is conclusive :) - I will work on buses, trucks, and rail wagons before the next "official" release.  If you want to speed that up, please make suggestions for the truck timeline.  Otherwise, get makeobj, download the sources, and make your pak from scratch...

wlindley

One month on -- Any status report?  Perhaps someone could post a few words of wisdom in the top (sticky) "Download PakBritain" post in this category?  Looking forward to it...

The Hood

Current progress is as per the other threads, and the to-do list - I've done the buses and I'm just starting the trains.  Then the lorries, and we're ready to go.

jamespetts

Now, if only somebody could acquire us another artist of the standard of The Hood (or maybe clone him?), we'd be well on our way! ;-)
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.