News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

pak128.Britain - new graphics to-do list

Started by The Hood, August 18, 2009, 10:08:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Hood

Following the release of pak128.Britain 1.x, which is now fully stand-alone and not dependent on pak128 objects, it's now time to concentrate on expanding the graphics and range of features supported by pak128.Britain.  The following list is where I think we are going, in a rough order of priority.  I'd be interested in other people's thoughts though (especially those who have time to play the set!).  I would also really appreciate it other people wanted to help contribute some of the graphics to the effort, so please let me know if you want to help with this!

- trucks / road freight vehicles (done) :)
- pedestrians (done - modified pak128 images) :)
- snow graphics (done) :)
- maglevs (done - thanks AEO!) :)
- narrow gauge railways (done - thanks jamespetts!)  :)
- citycars (done) :)
- ships, canal barges, and other water transport (done - maybe add larger CalMac ferries and ocean liners)  :)
- additional bridges (done) :)
- aeroplanes (work in progress - Milko)
- different industry graphics for different eras (done) :) 
- underground trains(done) :)
- more attractions (some done by wlindley and Archon, more variety still needed)
- headquarters (some courtesy of wlindley, others welcome)
- more citybuildings (some done by wlindley, Archon and myself, more variety still needed)
- more trees
- monorails
- futuristic vehicles for all modes

Obviously I'm not promising any of this, and certainly not any completion dates.  But if you want to make these in pak128.Britain style, I will include them in future releases!

kierongreen

Well I'm just playing a game at the moment. One obvious thing that I know that when I come to it I will make is faster rail bridges. But since I'm in 1834 at the moment I don't think that'll be a problem for a while (map might be a bit insane by then though - started in 1820 and I'm already making well over a million a month in profit...). I'd also like to do the undergrounds at some point. At the moment I'm just enjoying playing it though :)

The Hood

I'll provisionally reserve you for those then :)

jamespetts

Might I suggest that city cars, pedestrians and headquarters be added to the list?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

The Hood

ӔO

I've thought up of some attractions that might be good for pakbritain.
In no particular order...
Velodrome, observatory, museum, planetarium, race circuit (BTCC tracks), theater and opera house.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

The Hood

All good ideas, are you volunteering to paint them as well?

ӔO

Quote from: The Hood on January 03, 2010, 09:02:32 PM
All good ideas, are you volunteering to paint them as well?
Yes, that's the plan.

Colour safe chart:

jamespetts

Other good attractions would be churches and cathedrals, law courts of various sizes, municipal swimming baths, libraries and hospitals.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

The Hood

Quote from: AEO on January 04, 2010, 10:28:01 AM
Yes, that's the plan.

Excellent.  Can I just ask that you also do snow images too?

ӔO

sure, that doesn't seem so hard as long as there are proper textures.

also, how about a sports dome that has a closing roof for winter?
I'm not sure if you have one of those in the UK.

Quote from: jamespetts on January 04, 2010, 02:45:44 PM
Other good attractions would be churches and cathedrals, law courts of various sizes, municipal swimming baths, libraries and hospitals.

those sound great. I now see what is meant by a never ending to-do list  ;D

Colour safe chart:

The Hood

Quote from: AEO on January 04, 2010, 06:59:41 PM
also, how about a sports dome that has a closing roof for winter?
I'm not sure if you have one of those in the UK.

The millenium stadium in Cardiff, the Emirates (Aresnal), and now of course, Centre Court at Wimbledon all immediately spring to mind, but these are all new.  I think the roof tends to just close for matches only though.

those sound great. I now see what is meant by a never ending to-do list  ;D

Welcome to my world... ;D

rsdworker

Quote from: The Hood on January 04, 2010, 10:54:15 PM
The millenium stadium in Cardiff, the Emirates (Aresnal), and now of course, Centre Court at Wimbledon all immediately spring to mind, but these are all new.  I think the roof tends to just close for matches only though.

Welcome to my world... ;D
and also wembley staduim is New too - i am not sure if its has closing roof

The Hood

It has a roof which partially closes - but at it's full extent only gives complete cover to the stands and not the pitch.

AP

The velodrome thread has reminded me of something.

When we get around to adding air transport, maybe instead of a generic "airport", we could have aerodromes, air fields, air ports (for 'flying boats'), etc. Maybe something for airships, even ...  there was quite a lot of variety in the early "Imperial Airways" days.

Thought I'd post it here for lack of anywhere else.

The Hood

There's a bit of a game code issue here - we can only do things which the game engine supports, which is runways + taxiways + aprons + terminal buildings.  The graphics already exist for these, with both grass and concrete runways and taxiways (that should allow airfields).  How are aerodromes different from standard airports?  Flying boats wouldn't be possible without a re-write of the code.  Airships are possible, but they would behave like normal planes and use the runways in the same way.

AP

'Aerodrome' is just terminology- the earlier term for airports (e.g. Croydon Aerodrome was the 'airport' for London 1920-1946).

I recall being told that, before airports were coded in simutrans, there were 'aircraft' that were actually ships, but painted to be 'at altitude' as a way around the code - clearly the thing with flying boat routes is that they were (often, but not always) over water (hard to emergency land a flying boat otherwise). Maybe the trick could be reused?

Airships and runways; well, it wouldn't be the end of the world I suppose.

Reddog785

For narrowgauge trains, here's my ideas:
Talyllyn Railway Saddle Tank (Intro: 1864 Retirement: 1950)
Talyllyn Railway No.7 "Tom Rolt" (Intro: 1998)
Talyllyn Coach (Intro: 1864)
Talyllyn Modern Coach (Intro: 1955)
Talyllyn Post Office (Intro: 1864)
Ffestiniog Coal Truck (Intro: 1832)
Horses (Intro: 1832 Retirement: 1863)
Ffestiniog Railway No.1 "Princess" (Intro: 1863)
Ffestiniog Railway No.2 "Prince" (Intro: 1864)
Ffestiniog "Flying Bench" (Intro: 1863)
Ffestiniog Early First Class "Observation Carriage" (Intro: 1863)
Ffestiniog Early Bug Box (Intro: 1863 Retirement: 1870)
Ffestiniog Late Bug Box (Intro: 1870 Retirement: 1901)
Ffestiniog WW1 diesel "Moelwyn" (Intro: 1917)
Ffestiniog Double Fairlie (Intro: 1870)
Victorian Carriage (Intro: 1870 Retirement: 1901)
Edwardian Carriage (Intro: 1901)
Third Class Semi Open Carriage 37 (Intro: 1910 Retirement: 1930)
Third Class Semi Open Carriage 38 (Intro: 1930)
Third Class 122 (Intro: 2000)
WHR "Garratt" (Intro: 2009)
Ffestiniog First Class Observation Carriage 111 (Intro: 1995)
Criccieth Castle (Intro: 1995)
Welsh Highland Carriage (Intro: 1877)
WHR First Class Pullman Corridor (Intro: 2009)
WHR First Class Pullman Observation (Intro: 2009)

jamespetts

Reddog,

thank you for the suggestions. Pak128.Britain does not currently have any narrow gauge infrastructure: vehicles, depots, tracks, stations, bridges, tunnels or crossings. I think that narrow gauge is on the to-do list somewhere, but it's fairly low down. Do you have any interest in doing the graphics (which is easier than it looks at first)?

One thing to note is that a great many of the more recent vehicles on your list (especially the 21st century built steam locomotives) are only commercially viable in reality because of the use of the narrow gauge railway on which they run as a tourist attraction. That aspect of economics is not simulated in Simutrans, so we have to make sure that only vehicles that are viable for use on a purely functional transport system are included.

Reddog785

Since recently going on some narrow gauge railways in Wales, I'll hapilly do some with great interest. I was thinking of doing the green double fairlie "Earl of Merioneth" for now. But, I have two questions:
1.What's a linebreak?
2.How do I draw the vehicle sprites?

jamespetts

Reddog,

see here for information on contributing graphics to Pak128.Britain. As to your first question - in what context do you ask? A line break normally simply means a break between lines of ASCII text as in:

^^ That was a line break.

But please note that nobody will be able to use your narrow gauge vehicles until somebody draws narrow gauge tracks, narrow gauge depots, narrow gauge stations, narrow gauge bridges, narrow gauge tunnels and narrow gauge crossings.

The Hood

Firstly, why the in-depth discussion about line breaks?

Secondly, back on-topic, narrow gauge is on the to-do list, but try doing it yourself if you want.  Definitely start by doing tracks and depots though (maybe modify the existing tracks by editing them to make them narrower in a pixel editor?) before doing vehicles. 

VS

Sorry for the confusion. Line break discussion has been split to http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=5069.0

Merge it back or move to where you think it belongs - that's up to you :)

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

wlindley

I would also suggest for the list: a few more ground objects (ponds, swamps, rocks).  Streetlamps (pak192.comic has them) -- gas and then electric.

jamespetts

I'm not sure that there are many swamps in the UK...

The Hood

I'd love to have the time to even be able to make progress on the current list!  Volunteers to draw things are still (as ever) welcome!

jamespetts

I've started work on a high level office building from the 1920s, but I haven't done many buildings before, and I have a lot of code work to do for Experimental, so it's slow progress...

The Hood

I'll look forward to it when it comes.  I find 1x1 buildings the easiest things to draw as (a) you only need 4 rotations and (b) you don't need to worry about alignment as with vehicles.  Ships are a pain because they are big and need detail as well as 8 rotations and alignment correctly, but they're coming on very slowly...

jamespetts

Buildings do need snow textures, however, on the subject of which, they are not in the general Pak128.Britain texture download .zip - are they available somewhere...?

The Hood

No.  I generally add another 2 "clouds" textures to any surface requiring snow, of differing shades of white/pale grey.  Trial and error mostly to see what looks best.

jamespetts

The Hood

jamespetts

Aha - thank you for the indication! That makes things easier.

neroden

Quote from: jamespetts on May 14, 2010, 01:49:32 PM
I'm not sure that there are many swamps in the UK...

The fens of Yorkshire?

jamespetts