News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Citybus

Started by Fuzzy Peach, September 09, 2009, 03:12:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzy Peach

I am in the process of creating my first road vehicle, it is a Small CityBus mainly used for routes inside cities, they're cheap to build and maintain but can only go 50km/h. It will hold around 40 people (to be realistic) and will be able to accelerate fairly quickly. It will cost around 7500 to build and will cost around 0.25 to maintain.

I will upload screenshots occasionally.

Soon to come:
Bending Bus
Double Decker

Edit: I have uploaded complete image with and without side turning signals. (citybus sl has side turning signals)

Fabio

Quote from: Fuzzy Peach on September 09, 2009, 03:12:07 AM
but can only go 50km/h.

in a way, busses intended for urban lines have little meaning in  being faster (well, probably they have it for speed bonus in standard ST). WHat really makes the difference in RL is the acceleration, which helps keeping up the commercial speed, and which can be set with the gear.

Zeno

Yes, actually if you use speeds greater than 50 Km/h won't have any effect if it's used inside city (the road type won't allow it to run faster). It usually has impact on costs, which should be related to its speed and power/gear, so making it faster would make it more expensive to run.

Btw, the picture looks nice :)

Fuzzy Peach

Thank you, it's my first road vehicle. But i don't yet completely understand the gear setting.

vilvoh

Quote from: Fuzzy Peach on September 09, 2009, 01:40:20 PM
[..] i don't yet completely understand the gear setting.

From the Simutrans EN wiki:

The gear is a factor applied to the nominal power of a powered vehicle (same as its real-world power, if the vehicle has been taken from there), to get the effective power that is used in the game (to achieve a realistic behaviour).

In the game, it is shown as a fraction ("0.50:1" means: use half of the nominal power). If it's not shown (<=> not specified for the vehicle), the default gear (1:1) is used. In Dat/Pak files (optional parameter "gear"), it is encoded in percent.

Tractive effort or maximum acceleration (as typical for a given vehicle) aren't used as parameters in the game; instead, the program uses its own physical model of movement, using effective power and the drag value, to achieve a behaviour matching the other parts of the game.

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

Fuzzy Peach

Now i understand, so what do you think i should put the gear to?

vilvoh

It depends on the power you set for that bus. In my opinion, if the power is high, let's say 200-400 KW, the gear should be between 0.75-0.90, so you can get a realistic aceleration feeling. I'm not a pak128 expert, so Zeno or Vs may tell you more about the best values for that attribute.

Fabio

IMO we should distinguish short distance busses (less speed, more acceleration) from long distance ones (more speed, less acceleration)

Zeno

Both of you vilvoh and fabio are true. Initially the gear should be 100, so the power of the vehicle remains unchanged. If it's a city bus, as fabio says, it should have good acceleration and low speed, so with a speed of 50kmh the gear can be a bit highter than 100 (let's say 110, or 115).

But the acceleration will depend on the vehicle weight. So the better way to set it up is first drawing it, and once finished make the pak and test it in the game; then you can tune the gear to reach the desired behaviour.

Fuzzy Peach

I have finished the png so i'll make the dat now and release a beta version.

PS: I have uploaded the finished png and a png with the bus having lights on the sides. (The turning signals for drivers beside busses who can't see the front or back of the bus. (View Image)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/52/Winnipeg_Transit_865.jpg/250px-Winnipeg_Transit_865.jpg

The lights are right above the front and back wheels.

vilvoh

Talking about the wheels, you should make them more rounded. Now they seem square, specially in NE and SW views.

Fuzzy Peach

I'll get on that.

Edit: I've fixed it, try it now.