News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Isaac's New pak128 Road project

Started by Isaac Eiland-Hall, July 05, 2010, 03:19:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Isaac Eiland-Hall

So I've started new roads. I might be open to suggestions, but I might not. ;-) I find this difficult and tedious work...

1. I'm currently working from City Street, to make a version with double-yellow striping to replace the dashed lines, and eliminate all other stripes. I have also made the end-roads square on the end instead of rounded, and I plan to make the curves into diagonals. I'm calling this US-Street

Here's a look at the png (click for full-size):

2. I plan to take the street bridge and make US-Street-bridge.

These are intended to make US-style city roads.

I'm not sure where exactly I'll go from there, but I plan:

3. White-dash for highways. I may repurpose the present city-street for this...
4. No stripe road, useful for access roads; also with matching bridge

5. Possibly a yellow-dash road/bridge to allow us to mimic real life - double-stripe near curves and intersections, dashed on long straights.

I'm not fast with this, so that is already a lot of work for me...

I am doing this in Photoshop with the intent of easily being able to make further changes once I've got the basic stuff done... So if someone wants a set of the double-lines all done in white, for example, it shouldn't be too hard.

My main problem is going to be figuring out how to do good-looking dashes that line up - anyone who has used my roads from before knows that there are weird gaps in the stripes where tiles join. :-/

If anyone likes my roads so far, and can do dashes that would go well (about the size of the dashes from my previous road set, but fitting this one), PLEASE let me know. That's the hardest area for me. :)

Bigtop

mobo

Quote from: Isaac.Eiland-Hall on July 05, 2010, 03:19:59 AM

My main problem is going to be figuring out how to do good-looking dashes that line up - anyone who has used my roads from before knows that there are weird gaps in the stripes where tiles join. :-/

There some flaw in your stripes at the edge of the tile. my dash-suggestion would be quarter stripe - half gap -quarter stripe (see pic) , which makes stripes and gaps equally long on the final road.

us (site down, do not visit) ]/files/get/IJ3KuJ3S9l/128highway.png]http://files.[ simutrans [dot] us (site down, do not visit) ]/files/get/IJ3KuJ3S9l/128highway.png

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Thank you -- I'm actually slowly working on the various pixel bugs... It's the part I hate hate hate about making paks. hehe.

I'm still working on it - but to show you where I am as of this afternoon:

http://isaac.im/simutrans/us_street/002 - EDIT: See below updated link

PSD, pak, dat, png all in there.

This is not intended as a final release, nor am I asking for help - just an update of where I am. :-)

Note that the PSD in particular is not cleaned up for release - it's just in the state I'm working with, so if you use it and find it ugly, sorry. :D I intend to release clean PSDs that will help with making many different roads ( you can see the beginning of this if you poke in there - different stripe possibilities, for example )

I think on the stripes... I'm going to try for math... Fixing the pixel issues I have so far, along with the nature of these stripes - I'm getting a better feel for the isometric view... I think I have an idea of how to make it work. :D (I want shorter stripes, although I appreciate your suggestion - I do like it and may use it for the highway version, although it's a bit long for what I want, still)

EDIT: http://isaac.im/simutrans/us_street/003 - I'm tired of fixing pixels for now. ARGH. Frustrating. It looks good, but not perfect. Also, I only have one end-cap done the way I want (was testing to see if it looks good, and it does, so I need to fix the other three)... It's usable for now, but I'll continue working on this later. Maybe later today. Maybe tomorrow or so. :)

Václav

Would you tell me what format is PSD, please? I have not ever met this format.

It seems be good - but on bmp pictures in serie #2 there is visible problem with up-down diagonal tiles - they are not in a row - and also white pixel is tied to right up-down diagonal tile.

Chybami se člověk učí - ale někteří lidé jsou nepoučitelní

Isaac Eiland-Hall

PSD = Photoshop

And thank you for the feedback -- as I mentioned, I'm still fixing pixel issues. :)

A delay in fixing because I'm working on a couple of projects at the moment...

nitromefan

Isn't there some US style roads already out there. I got a few in my set so i don't get why u want to make US road. The only reason i think u might be making US road is because the main one is too dark and another one it to light.  ??? ???

Isaac Eiland-Hall

I myself made a set of US roads previously, which you can find on http://addons.simutrans.com/

There are a number of reasons for this project, including some tweaks / attributes of note:

1. Diagonals instead of curves

2. Base texture matches pak128 city_road

3. Better striping than my previous roads project

And simply: If you have no use for them, nobody is going to force you to use them.

nitromefan

Yes i understand about that your fixing tweaks in the old set of US roads in my opinion they did need some fixing anyway :D .

ӔO

shouldn't the T-intersections have no yellow lines going through it?
as in similar to the 4-way.

or actually, shouldn't there be a white line along the vertical side of the T?
example of what I mean: http://safety.fhwa.dot.gov/intersection/resources/sfty_imp_pln0709/imp.cfm

otherwise, I really like the graphics. They look like modern US roads.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Although it's not true to life, I prefer the continuous double-yellow through a T intersection because there are so many intersections so close in Simutrans cities. :)

As far as the white lines for T intersections - if you're talking about  a "stop" line, they were already added. :)

I still haven't gotten around to finishing fixing the pixels... I should get to it in a day or two, I think. :)