News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

increase traffic

Started by acki, September 26, 2010, 09:53:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

acki

Hello,

is there a way to increase traffic in an existing savegame?
I must have forgotten to set the option when starting the game, and now that I am quite far in the game I noticed I have hardly any traffic...
I found an option in settings > display > traffic level, but when I change the number and close the settings window nothing changes.

Thanks,

Jan

AvG

That settings button works only for a new game.
If playing Standard try key-press n. If the result is a Help-Window, your .exe file is to old so you have to start a new game to correct your problem.
I know, very frustrating.
I think the next release will make it possible to change a value like that in a running game. Nightly builds already do.
AvG
Ad van Gerwen

An_dz

Quote from: AvG on September 26, 2010, 04:16:14 PM
If playing Standard try key-press n. If the result is a Help-Window, your .exe file is to old (...)
I think the next release will make it possible to change a value like that in a running game. Nightly builds already do.
I'm running the latest nightly and pressing n give me a help window. Where you can change it in nightly?

AvG

I have installed nightly 3666.
Pressing n gives small window Settings'
Works fine.
AvG
Ad van Gerwen

DirrrtyDirk

1.) If "n" brings up a help screen, it does not automatically mean that the .exe is too old - it could also be the menuconf.tab of the pakset that is not up-to-date with the nightlies.

2.)In how far does the network game info screen (=n) help with the problem? Just to figure out wether he has an actual nightly? Just looking at the title bar of the simutrans window gives the exact revision number - and i'd say that's more reliable then pressing "n" and seeing what happens, right?  ;)

Just thought about it - maybe you configured "n" differently than I did...

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

AvG

Yes, you are right.
I think I added a line in the menuconf.tab :  dialog_tool[27]=,n
Try again!
AvG
Ad van Gerwen

DirrrtyDirk

In pak64 nightlies, "n" is set to dialog_tool[28] = network game info window. And since pak64 is the reference for all paksets, I'd recommend using a different key for [27] in the future...

AvG

Dialogtool [27] was recommended by Prissi in "Reload Config"
Maybe 27 was used just as an Howto example.
AvG
Ad van Gerwen

Dwachs

The number 27 is the number of the settings window, Dirk proposed to use another key than 'n' for this tool as in pak64,'n' is used already for something different.

You could also set as key '^N', which is equivalent to ctrl+N. Most ctrl-key combination are unused in paksets.
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

acki

Quote from: AvG on September 26, 2010, 04:16:14 PM
That settings button works only for a new game.
If playing Standard try key-press n. If the result is a Help-Window, your .exe file is to old so you have to start a new game to correct your problem.
I know, very frustrating.
AvG

Hi, well i got the latest nightly, so how do i do this? Just press the n-key? It actually does bring up the help window...

Dwachs

ad the line

dialog_tool[27]=,n

in config/menuconf.tab
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

acki

I did but it doesnt change anything...
Did I do it right? I attached the file...

Thanks

DirrrtyDirk

Looks right to me after quick look... but menuconf.tab can be tricky.

An_dz

Quote from: DirrrtyDirk on September 27, 2010, 05:52:51 PM
Looks right to me after quick look... but menuconf.tab can be tricky.
For me too, but one question: you're running Windows Vista or 7?

acki

An_dz

Ouch, now I'm confusing. ::-\
You're still receiving the help window?
And you saved it on right place?

acki

I saved it in the original place: /pak128/conf

but actually, I didn't realise: when i add that line to the menuconf.tab file, not only the n doesn't bring up the settings dialog; also my menu/tool buttons are gone...

acki

o and I noticed something else: in the first lines of the tools section of the menuconf.tab file, section 3 dialogue tools, the list only goes as far as 25, so I guess that is why adding dialog_tool [27]=,n doesn't do anything... I did install the latest pak128 though from the nightly builds...

An_dz

I've downloaded your file again and found something.
It's saved as Unicode and all .tab files are ANSI. Try saving it as ANSI and see if this works.
On Notepad under Encoding.

Quote from: acki on September 27, 2010, 06:55:04 PM
in the first lines of the tools section of the menuconf.tab file, section 3 dialogue tools, the list only goes as far as 25, so I guess that is why adding dialog_tool [27]=,n doesn't do anything...
On my file it happens too, that's not the problem.

PS: You should edited your post instead of creating a new one.

acki

Thanks, the menu buttons are back now.

But pressing n still only brings up the keyboard help...
so i guess it has to do with what i mentioned earlier, that there s no dialog_tool [27] defined?
Is there a way to do so? It's the latest pak128 nightly...

DirrrtyDirk

AFAIK there is nothing more to be defined - the program knows what dialog_tool[27] is. All you do is to assign a key to that function.

EDIT:
And I just tried: used the menuconf.tab from openpak128 added this one single line, and everything worked just fine.

Are you sure you got the latest program nightly? (That's actually why I hate it when people always talk about "the latest" instead of stating the version number - it happened all too often in the past that "the latest" was rather old already...)

So could you confirm the exact version of your nightly please?

An_dz

A possible solution can be changing 'n' to another word, I suggest 'i' since it's unused, I'm using it at my file and Jamespetts also told about using it.

acki

hmmm... it's still the same... keyboard help pops up...

prissi

Then used todays nightly. The regular simutrans lacks this function.

acki

DirrrtyDirk

So you didn't use "the latest nightly" after all? See, that's why I asked for the exact version number instead of this "latest" stuff.

acki

O i did use the latest... apparetly the nightly I was using, from just a few days ago, didnt work, but with the one i have now it does...

DirrrtyDirk

Actually... no. Prissi just told you that the regular simutrans lacks this function. The nightlies have had it for more than just a few days. Just some randomly chosen versions (and all of them already had it working): e.g. r3825, r3822, r3808, etc. even back to r3768 - which is almost 2 weeks older than your original posting, by the way. Looking back even further... r3588 had it, too. And that's from July 30th.

So, again: that's why version numbers are the only valid thing here. "The latest" or "some version from just a few days ago" are a little too vague to figure things out. q.e.d.

acki

Hello,

well I managed to change the settings, but increasing traffic in my savegame from 5 to 16 actually doesn't change anything in the game... I am using version 102.3 - 3953 with Pack128 Britain (no idea how i can find out which version though...)

An_dz

It gets a while to vehicle start to appear, set it to 16 and set fast_forward in General tab to 1000.
Now fast forward your game. I think something like 4 years later you'll see billions of cars stopping all roads in your game.

That's just caused by fast forward 1000 so don't worry it won't happen in normal speeds or normal fast froward.

And version r4072 is already available, maybe your version have this feature still not completed.