News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

Bumping old topics, was: Re: has anyone started from 1400's yet???

Started by DirrrtyDirk, October 24, 2010, 09:43:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DirrrtyDirk

And besides, this thread was asleep for almost one and a half years... I'm not sure it was really necessary to revive it, was it?

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

Zeno

Quote from: DirrrtyDirk on October 24, 2010, 09:43:39 PM
And besides, this thread was asleep for almost one and a half years... I'm not sure it was really necessary to revive it, was it?
Sure, but we better leave some work for admins or they'll go away! ;D

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Quote from: DirrrtyDirk on October 24, 2010, 09:43:39 PM

Yes, it was.

Why disallow valid discussion on a topic?

DirrrtyDirk

Disallow? Who me? By what power? ;) I'm just asking if it was really necessary to dig this old & dead thread out just for a simple comment.

Or to be more precise: digging this one out after such a long time, just to have someone say that "playing from 1400 is boring since he loves trains, but there are none for 300 more years" is IMO just a tiny bit questionable. On a recent thread it would be fine, but for a discussion from April/May 2009 it's a bit thin.
In most forums on the internet, doing this is not even allowed or least not wanted and therefore (strongly) discouraged. Yes, we are a bit more open than other places, and that's fine. But doing this should still be an exception, not become a regular thing, that's all. (Just imagine everyone did it...) And not all such comments on things from the graveyard of threads restart a discussion - actually most don't. But they'd still pull old and outdated threads up among the recent ones. So this is already an exception, and my vote is just to keep it that way, that's all. (Oh, and wasn't trying to call for the mods on doing something (let alone punishing anyone) but to make people think a bit and maybe raise some awareness in our newer users to look at the dates before replying to everything they come across. I know how tempting it can be when you discover an interesting forum and start reading through...)

Zeno

I never doubted of your good will :P
Moreover, I agree with most that you said. Most cases of old topic bumping are nonsense comments or either with few things to add, so the only important thing they do is put old topics over newer ones :/
But there are also few cases which are worthy to keep, so I guess that this phaenomenon is rather difficult to manage by mods.

DirrrtyDirk

Yeah, it's sure hard to mod. But, as I said: I didn't want or ask the mods to do anything. It was just meant as a little thought-provoking impulse for the "gravediggers" themselves.

Lawyer

Don't take me bad, DirrrtyDirk, but I think your going a bit further then the necessary in this specific case. I respect you as a forum member and, most important, as a veteran one, but, as you are asking me, as a newcomer,  to think before digging a dead thread,I ask you to see all things the situations include.

First of all, it's was a lounge's thread. Not that the lounge doesn't have rules, but that they're not so strict.

Secondly, I wished to talk about the thread's subject, so I had to options: open a new thread or post in the old one. I choose the last option because I thought more appropriate. Of course, I could not to had post my comment an, thus, I would not have dug the old thread, but... hey, it's the forum lounge! I wish, to know if people had something to say about that subject, let's say, that there is a scope in start a transport game in 1400, don't know... It's sundry talk, lounge talk, not a technical one. I'm apologise if it is a fault to not say technical things in all comments, if it's true, then a lounge doesn't make sense.

Thirdly, toward my (few) comments history, none can say that i'm a 'gravedigger'. As far i can remember, i added only one other comment to a very old thread about public service playability, requesting information on what i thought a very interesting old discussion that seemed to be abruptly halted. I guess you have a lot more important things to do then be looking to peoples comments history, but to call someone a 'gravedigger' or something like is necessary to know if it's really the case. IMO.

Fourthly, you are totally right about "doing this should still be an exception, not become a regular thing". I agree that digging things all around can mess with the forum, but the last comment on an lounge thread, before that day, was on
October 17. I've commented on that '1400' thread on October 24. None can say that the lounge was particularly busy on that days, in a way that a unique, yet futile, comment on an old thread would mess it all. Am I wrong? Should I never ever comment on threads to make, when it's reasonable to do, funny comments (indeed, this was the real purpose, although it seems i've not succeed)?

At last, I got the message, and I got that you're not talking only to me, but to everyone else, thus having not personal against me. But, why then using me as example? Why not open a thread and say what you want to say without accusing people of being a 'gravedigger' (i.e. someone that has the habit to bump old topics) when it may not be, and, in fact it's not, the case?

Again, i hope you don't take me bad, DirrrtDirk, 'cause i'm new here and i don't want people to think i'm impertinent, but i feel i've to say this. Sorry if i bothered someone.
Creia no que quiser, mas não acredite no 'Fator Deus'
Believe in whatever you want, but don't believe in the 'Factor God'.
http://bulevoador.haaan.com/2010/07/04/o-fator-deus/

DirrrtyDirk

Quote from: Lawyer on October 26, 2010, 03:50:54 PM
At last, I got the message, and I got that you're not talking only to me, but to everyone else, thus having not personal against me.

You got that right, I certainly have nothing against you personally at all. It was a general thing, taking this case here (and you with it) as an example. You just had the misfortune of being the last guy to do it when I simply "had enough" and wanted to say something about it.

It was probably a bit unfair to make that statement on this occasion, where it hit you. But you see, I watch bumping with unnecessary comments (often even much shorter and certainly much more useless for the discussion they are posted to) once in while... and usually I don't say anything. This time I did - and probably hit the wrong guy (there are/were others around who owe half of their post count to such comments - or at least it feels like that sometimes.) So, I'm sorry if anybody felt attacked on a personal level by this.

On the other hand - I don't think I wrote such an evil line in the beginning...  ;)

QuoteAnd besides, this thread was asleep for almost one and a half years... I'm not sure it was really necessary to revive it, was it?

Or did I?   :)

Lawyer

Quote from: DirrrtyDirk on October 26, 2010, 04:29:33 PM
On the other hand - I don't think I wrote such an evil line in the beginning...  ;)

No, you didn't. I guess I got pissed of involuntarily by you, by being in the middle of an example that i think i'm not, the same way i got you pissed of involuntarily by bumping that ghoul with a stupid comment. But its all right, cybernetic communication can cause a lil' controversy sometimes.
Creia no que quiser, mas não acredite no 'Fator Deus'
Believe in whatever you want, but don't believe in the 'Factor God'.
http://bulevoador.haaan.com/2010/07/04/o-fator-deus/