News:

The Forum Rules and Guidelines
Our forum has Rules and Guidelines. Please, be kind and read them ;).

Virus in 110.0.1 zip file?

Started by gulli, April 09, 2011, 03:36:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gulli

I was about to download the latest windows exe file (simuwin-110-0-1.zip) but my anti-virus program (NOD32) warns me about a potential virus in the zip file, "probably unknown NewHeur_PE virus" is the message I get. Anyone else seen this?

prissi

NewHeur is the heuristics; I think simutrans is suspected, since it has TCP-IP v6 campabilities and uses not some standard high level library but the BSD stack.

gulli

OK, then I'll just assume that everything is fine and download it - thx.

VictorKoehler

I do not think the Simutrans is a Virus, on the contrary, I think free from any file. I searched the
Internet, I see several problems with this file, with firefox and computers. All with NOD32.

But this Anti-Virus, you could specify the file within the ZIP?

Download of the PAK64.Brasil b3ta here

Junna

Quote from: VictorKoehler on April 09, 2011, 09:28:39 PM
I do not think the Simutrans is a Virus, on the contrary, I think free from any file. I searched the
Internet, I see several problems with this file, with firefox and computers. All with NOD32.

But this Anti-Virus, you could specify the file within the ZIP?

It's simutrans.exe that is recognised. False positive.

For the OP: Just disable the protection temporarily to allow extraction and add the simutrans folder to the exemptions.

Ters

Some time ago, my anti-virus would delete makeobj.exe as soon as it was compiled. Every time I upgraded the source code, compilation generated what the anti-virus considered a different file, so I had create a new rule to ignore the file every time I did that.

I eventually figured out that it was libpng that caused the anti-virus to panic. Upgrading to a newer version of libpng made my anti-version calm down. It seems that anti-virus programs no longer just scan for viruses and other malware, but also scans for vulnerabilities that worms and hackers may use to compromise the system.