News:

Simutrans Tools
Know our tools that can help you to create add-ons, install and customize Simutrans.

Great Britain simulation in Simutrans Experimental

Started by Carl, May 25, 2011, 03:43:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fam621

Ok, let me know if you are doing a version for pak128.Britain-Ex-0.9.2 please. :)

NoMorePacers

Quote from: Carl on July 24, 2016, 06:23:14 PM
This one? https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/61716/LondonJul16.rar

Seems to work for me
Now it does.

To the author directly above me, I recommend you watch Carl's video diaries for the wider UK map from the beginning. It explains why he doesn't use pak128Britain 0.9.2.

fam621

I know that he is not using pak128.Britain..... He said he'll do one in a couple years time.

NoMorePacers

I have two points to make. 1. Carl didn't say for definite that he would be making a new UK map. He said he 'might'. That means he hasn't confirmed the map will even exist yet. So don't start speculating. 2. He didn't say what pakset may be utilised. So there you are, fam621 and the others thinking about posting about this new GB map. I'm not overreacting or being mean, but I'm just saying.

Carl

The combination of (a) work and real life (b) other hobbies and (c) other Simutrans projects means that recreating the whole UK map is not near the top of my priorities.

I'm happy to provide tips and help to anybody who fancies giving it a go in pak.Britain themselves, though :)

NoMorePacers

Carl, I have 2 questions, if I may. Firstly, as I am quite interested in rebuilding the London map in pak128.britain, could you release the map, or is it private? Back in 2012, you released the full UK one, so I was wondering if you could release the London map. Secondly, could you provide the sources (at least, the .png files) of the long trains? I am quite interested in repainting the units into all sorts of different liveries.

NoMorePacers

Thank you! With the long trains, I suppose I could paint up some trains for any future additions to your map, so you can concentrate on the map building instead (Yes, I am offering to help with the map by doing the trains. I'm sure that, that way, you could get on a bit quicker with the map. I could also help with the Balkans & SE Europe and the USA N&E maps, if any trains, buses, ships or buildings need doing.). Also, how do you get the tunnels to go up and down? I know it is a questionable question (is that even a phrase?), but I cannot fathom it out.

Carl

Thanks - feel free to have a go! Some of them should be fairly simple, e.g. Chiltern 165/166 and GWR 165/166 will be based on the already-existing SE 465/466.

If you wanted to try something that would be a great improvement, a new tube train would be the thing to do. I did that in about 5 minutes, 5 years ago, and it's badly in need of change!

NoMorePacers

Something small I did literally did just 2 minutes ago: an updated 378 .dat file, to allow for the 5 car formations the units have been running for the past year or so:

NoMorePacers

I did the Chiltern 165:

Carl

Nice work on the 378. That's one of those things that I hadn't bothered to get around to... mainly because it requires me to replace lots of the trains on the map :)

The Chiltern 165 is looking good. The blue could probably be a tiny bit darker - and I wonder if there's a way to give a faint impression of the red stripe?

NoMorePacers

Carl

Very nice! I find painting the trains the most tedious part, so this is a godsend :)

NoMorePacers

I can do the painting for you, if you just send the models.

I have done the 166:

fam621

Carl, I want to do the Bakerloo line that terminates at Queen's Park. But its impossible with the amount of tunnels in the way! :(

NoMorePacers

fam621

Erm.... its impossible. :( NoMorePacers can you give us those long trains you made please? It was a mistake when I did that. Corrected it now.

Carl

On the tunnels - use the "lower land" tool on a tunnel end to make it go down to the next level.

I have just built the Bakerloo Line to QP in the last couple of days. Had an internet outage so got a lot done on the London map. Will post an update soon...

NoMorePacers

Quote from: fam621 on July 29, 2016, 08:20:29 AM
Erm.... its impossible. :( NoMorePacers can you give us those long trains you made please? It was a mistake when I did that. Corrected it now.
I've provided the sources so you just need to compile them. I am unable to do this myself but if you can go ahead.

fam621

I can not compile them sorry.... I've got only landscape tools....

fam621

Carl, is it okay if you give me the updated map please? The lower land tool does not work.... Sorry. Also I meant the whole map not the London one but still ya know.

Carl

About time for an update anyway since there has been a lot of progress. Here's the link:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/61716/London-Jul16.rar

You'll need to copy the pak.ngb folder in here over your old version in order to get all the new trains.

Liverpool Street

King's Cross and St Pancras

What's been added?

• Southeastern High Speed
  • Chiltern Mainline (I used your 165, NoMorePacers - hope you don't mind that I tweaked it a bit!)
  • Uckfield Line
  • Great Western Lines out of Paddington, including Heathrow
  • London Overground at Liverpool Street - changed liveries and diagrams
  • Bakerloo Line (Queen's Park terminators only)
  • Central Line (Epping - West Ruislip: the only route that wasn't already done)
  • Gatwick Express
  • East Midlands Trains routes from St Pancras
  • Virgin East Coast from King's Cross
  • Stansted Express
At King's Cross and Paddington I have painted all VTEC and GWR trains in their new liveries. I know that's not yet the case in real life, but it saves the map from getting dated so quickly  ☺

I also updated the catenary to remove some visual noise - made it a little less dark.

NoMorePacers

Yes! And you used my 165! (I don't mind at all that you tweaked it, I made it as a base model and you are free to edit it as much as you like) I can do the LM 350's and VT 221's. (repainting the 450 and 222 you have done) Could you provide the sources for the new trains? And did you ever plan on doing a few videos on this? (like the full GB map, but a few videos, not a full series)

Carl

Sure, here are the updated sources: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/61716/london-longtrains.rar

I've done the LM 350 but the VT 221 would be very useful, thanks!

I might make a video about the project but probably not a series. The main problem is that - apart from the trains - the map looks pretty bare. Because of the massive scale, it's not practical to build realistic looking cities. It *could* be done, I guess, but it would take a lot of busywork that I'm not sure would be worth it.

QuoteAlso, how do you get the tunnels to go up and down? I know it is a questionable question (is that even a phrase?), but I cannot fathom it out.

Didn't answer this properly before - sorry. You use the lower land tool on a tunnel tile to lower it, as follows:

NoMorePacers

If you haven't already, I can do a LO 172, as oddly enough the GOBLIN (Gospel Oak to Barking Line) is the only part of the LO network not running in the map yet (bar the Watford DC line, but that is essentially the WCML) and what else exactly needs doing?

Carl

I was planning to leave the GOBLIN until after it's electrified, given that it's part closed at the moment. But given that I will probably finish the map, soon, I should probably put something in. So the 172 would be really useful!

Apart from that I think I don't think there is much else left.

jamespetts

You could always put in the rail  replacement 'bus service...
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

fam621

True James! My question to Carl is if he can do a class 800 or a class 802 (pak64 version) for the GB map please? :)

Carl

Maybe I will try the rail replacement service :)

I will probably get around to doing the Class 800/802 at some point in the future. The priority for this map is trains that are already in service. In the meantime the Class 395 is quite similar-looking. I should think about doing a Class 700 though, since those are now entering service.

fam621

Future?!?!?!?!? xD I kind of need it for testing now! :P NoMorePacers, can you do a class 800/802 diesel 5 car unit for me please? :) I may be being sort of lazy but can you complie the class 800 from pak128.Britain to pak64 (pak.ngb) please? How do you make the train a 5 car convoy instead of 6? The .txt file is for Carl.

Carl

We all had to start somewhere - why not open the Class 395 sources in image editing software (I use GIMP) and try to adapt it yourself? :)

NoMorePacers

Quote from: fam621 on August 02, 2016, 04:47:12 PM
Future?!?!?!?!? xD I kind of need it for testing now! :P NoMorePacers, can you do a class 800/802 diesel 5 car unit for me please? :) I may be being sort of lazy but can you complie the class 800 from pak128.Britain to pak64 (pak.ngb) please? How do you make the train a 5 car convoy instead of 6?
To answer your last question, quite simply edit the .dat file. The first question, now pak128.britain uses a 3D model made in Blender which is then edited. pak64 trains are drawn by hand. And, another thing, pak64 uses a 64 pixel graphics face. pak128.britain uses a 128 pixel graphics face, thus making the two completely incompatible with each other.