News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Problems with Linux build

Started by jamespetts, June 27, 2011, 09:55:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamespetts

To all those who can compile Experimental with Linux - are you having any difficulty doing so for the latest version (either on the master or 9.x branches)? The automatic build is giving the error, 'Makefile:10: *** Unkown BACKEND "", must be one of "allegro gdi sdl mixer_sdl x11 posix".  Stop.' and I am not sure why.

The complete output (automatically e-mailed to me) is as follows:

┌──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
│ Fetch source files                                                           │
└──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┘

>From /home/mirror/simutrans.git/
   e5b45da..a178219  master     -> origin/master
>From git://github.com/jamespetts/simutrans-experimental
   a0e0438..2a75f5e  9.x        -> jamespetts/9.x
* [new branch]      industry-relinker -> jamespetts/industry-relinker
   8249a3a..d8dde95  master     -> jamespetts/master
* [new tag]         9.10       -> 9.10
Will build branch 'jamespetts/master'.
Previous HEAD position was 8249a3a... Trivial commit
HEAD is now at d8dde95... Merge branch '9.x'
D .gitignore
╔══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗
║ Simutrans Experimental (i386)                              27 Jun 2011 02:48 ║
╚══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

Revision:     d8dde9509bc672d18058f5ebfefdb45bae23db40
Last changed: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 12:42:23 +0100

┌──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
│ Applying patches                                                             │
└──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┘

No patches in series

│ Build simutrans                                                              │

Makefile:10: *** Unkown BACKEND "", must be one of "allegro gdi sdl mixer_sdl x11 posix".  Stop.

│ Cleaning up                                                                  │

No patch removed
────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
Build failed.

Build started:  Mon, 27 Jun 2011 02:48:20 +0200
Build finished: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 02:48:23 +0200

Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

inkelyad

Looks like config.default is lost somewhere.

sdog

copy config.template to config.default. edit config.default to fit your requirements. config.template shouldn't altered though (unless you made changes to the makefile). config.default should be ignored by your git, it should be different for each system.

dustNbone

I have compiled the latest (8dde95 from June 26th) Simutrans Experimental from jamespetts github for Linux x86 SDL as well as a Linux x86 Server binary.  I don't have any great hosting options right now, but if there's any need or want for these they are available.  I have ran the server locally with the SDL binary as a client, seems to be working OK for a couple hours now.  Anyways, just thought I'd give the heads up.

Dustin

Update: Crappy MU links to my builds

x86 Linux Server: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=EPABGQJO

x86 Linux SDL: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=UY2C89KQ

deMangler

Quote from: dustNbone on June 27, 2011, 08:58:03 PM
I have compiled the latest (8dde95 from June 26th) Simutrans Experimental from jamespetts github for Linux x86 SDL as well as a Linux x86 Server binary.  I don't have any great hosting options right now, but if there's any need or want for these they are available.  I have ran the server locally with the SDL binary as a client, seems to be working OK for a couple hours now.  Anyways, just thought I'd give the heads up.

Dustin

Update: Crappy MU links to my builds

x86 Linux Server: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=EPABGQJO

x86 Linux SDL: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=UY2C89KQ

Thanks, I will give it a go.

When I try to compile it I get:

===> CXX vehicle/simverkehr.cc
make: *** No rule to make target `build/default/simgraph0.o', needed by `build/default/simutrans-experimental'.  Stop.

Also, I wonder how it is you have compiled a server that is 25 MB. Mine always come out around 2 or 3 MB.

Size isn't everything though....

dM

dustNbone

I did modify modify simgraph0.cc, essentially making it identical to the one in Standard, as far as I know.  Other than that, just set posix, color depth 0 and linux in the config.  As for the size, you're right that's enormous, both the server and SDL binaries are about that size.  I did see something elsewhere about running 'sim strip' after compile to remove the symbols from the binary but I forgot to do that so I'm guessing that's it.  This version does have that nasty revenue bug though it seems, some lines make way too much and then suddenly hit with big negative revenues, hundreds of billions big, so it's not really playable.  As for your server, I tried to connect with the matching SDL binary that I posted and got the same error that you did, after a lengthy hang.  Strange thing is I can run the server locally and connect as to it from the client via localhost and it seems to work fine.  Are you running 64 bit linux maybe? I'm not sure if this would be an issue but I don't have an x64 install currently handy.  By the way thanks for your last server game, that was interesting for sure.  I was playing as BC Rail. 

Dustin

deMangler

Quote from: dustNbone on June 28, 2011, 08:10:54 AM
As for your server, I tried to connect with the matching SDL binary that I posted and got the same error that you did, after a lengthy hang.  Strange thing is I can run the server locally and connect as to it from the client via localhost and it seems to work fine.  Are you running 64 bit linux maybe? I'm not sure if this would be an issue but I don't have an x64 install currently handy.  By the way thanks for your last server game, that was interesting for sure.  I was playing as BC Rail.  

Dustin

I fixed that problem. It was a typo in my command line that meant the game was not loading. Ooops!

dM

jamespetts

I am not sure where config.default has gone on the automatic builds server, as it is present on my local system and synchronised by Github. Ansgar - do you know what the problem might be?

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

sdog

config.default should not be synchronised by github. It is a local configuration and shouldn't be overwritten when one pulls from github. What should be included in github is the config.template. On each local system you copy config.template to config.default and modify it according to one's requirements.

jamespetts

Ahh. Hmm - Ansgar's system has gone wrong somewhere, then.

deMangler

I still cannot compile the latest git master no-graphics-server.
It gets as far as..

===> CXX vehicle/simverkehr.cc
make: *** No rule to make target `build/default/simgraph0.o', needed by `build/default/simutrans-experimental'.  Stop.

I wonder what is different about my system.

Thanks for the builds - I will try them out.
dM

jamespetts

Hmm. Any tips that anyone has for fixing the difficulties with Linux would be much appreciated.

dustNbone

I followed these instructions posted earlier in this thread:

in simgraph0.cc, remove :
Code:

#ifdef COMMAND_LINE_SERVER

from line 11
and
Code:

#endif

from the last line

And posix seems to compile just fine for me.  I didn't make these modifications when compiling the SDL binary, as I assumed it wouldn't reference simgraph0.cc anyway.

Dustin

Vonjo

I wonder why we should do that to compile no graphic version, while the graphic version compiles just fine without that modification.

dustNbone

well simgraph0.cc looks to be specific to the command line server, simgraph8.cc and simgraph16.cc would be for 8 and 16 bit graphical builds respectively.  I don't think this will raise any compatibility issues between the client and the server.

jamespetts

dustNbone,

I have re-uploaded your files to Github (see here) and made reference to them in the announcement post. Thank you very much for posting those. I am still not sure what the problem is with the regular builds, as it is not clear to me what has changed such as would affect it.

inkelyad

James, Why COMMAND_LINE_SERVER was added? It is only difference between Exp and Std
in simgraph0.cc, simgraph16.cc.
EDIT:
It looks like you using it to enable/disable
simgraph0.cc/simgraph16.cc for server/gui build.
(You define COMMAND_LINE_SERVER for 'Debug (command-line server)|Win32'.)

You should tell MSVC use different set of files for different targets instead.

dustNbone

James thanks for giving the binaries a better home, I may create at least debian/ubuntu packages once things seem stable enough, and put them into a repository to make a one click install for at least some users.  As for the nightly build issue, assuming it's pulling source from your github, couldn't you just replace or modify the simgraph0.cc on the git to what works on my builds?  That should sort it out, assuming everything is sound on the compiler end with dependencies and the like.  Also, has anyone ran the 32 bit binary on an x64 Linux?  Is there a need for 64 bit binaries because I could get this done easily enough I would think.  I'm not a developer of any real kind, just a sysadmin type so building is familiar to me but that's about where my skills end.  Thanks again guys.

Dustin

inkelyad

Quote from: dustNbone on July 02, 2011, 07:12:24 PM
James thanks for giving the binaries a better home, I may create at least debian/ubuntu packages once things seem stable enough, and put them into a repository to make a one click install for at least some users.
Well, Ubuntu Launchpad Personal Package Archives exist for reason.

As for the nightly build issue, assuming it's pulling source from your github, couldn't you just replace or modify the simgraph0.cc on the git to what works on my builds?
Just restore them to Standard version.

fbfree

The 32bit build starts, loads games, runs over a few months, and makes a new map.

Tested on a debian wheezy system with the linux-2.6.39-2-amd64 kernel installed.
Simutrans Standard 110.0.1-3, experimental 9.11.

I'll test further tomorrow.