News:

Simutrans Forum Archive
A complete record of the old Simutrans Forum.

I'm trying to create tram: PESA 120NaS 'Swing'

Started by ave616, November 28, 2011, 10:29:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ave616

If you want to download this tram, click here:
http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=8685.msg81269#msg81269

Helo

I'm trying to make my first addon: tram PESA 120NaS 'Swing' in special version for Szczecin city (Poland).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PESA_120Na
It's little bit longer than normal 120Na and is more capacious.

I first made side view. What do you think? Should I go on and draw rest of views, or I'm graphical anti-talent? ;-) Any suggestions welcome.
Addons:
Ready: PESA 120Na 'Swing'

In progress: PESA ELF

Zeno

Hey, that's a good try for sure. I don't have enough experience on pixelart in order to give you advice, but you should notice that in simutrans each wagon is usually made as a separate vehicle, then you can put the different cars together to form the convoi.
I'd also say that taking an existing tram from the sources as a reference could be a good idea, in order to keep into dimensions and shape.

VS

If you made this from scratch, then you're more than competent painter :) However... you picked the easiest view. You'll definitely find out when drawing the "leaving" views ;)

As to some actual feedback... First, this seems to be a bit big. Did you check the scale against some existing vehicle? Second, I'm not entirely convinced that this is drawn as being looked at from high enough. This might be a bit harder to read, if the roof has very smooth (curved?) edges, though.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

TommPa9

Very nice tram! But maybe too slim and high???
Here is my tram Škoda 05T Vektra. It can help with drawing or placing on position. (I think)

ave616

Quote from: Zeno on November 28, 2011, 10:44:42 PM
you should notice that in simutrans each wagon is usually made as a separate vehicle, then you can put the different cars together to form the convoi.

I know, but for preview I wanted to show whole vehicle.

Quote from: VS on November 28, 2011, 10:47:01 PM
If you made this from scratch, then you're more than competent painter :) However... you picked the easiest view. You'll definitely find out when drawing the "leaving" views ;)

I'm sure you'r right. I started from easiest view just for checking my skills ;-)

Quote from: VS on November 28, 2011, 10:47:01 PM
As to some actual feedback... First, this seems to be a bit big. Did you check the scale against some existing vehicle? Second, I'm not entirely convinced that this is drawn as being looked at from high enough. This might be a bit harder to read, if the roof has very smooth (curved?) edges, though.

First: it's just little bigger than most of vehicles in Simutrans, but I'm going to make it smaller.
Second: and that's the problem. I'm not sure how to draw roof properly. But I'm learning and I won't quit after first try ;-) And...

Quote from: TommPa9 on November 28, 2011, 10:52:04 PM
Very nice tram! But maybe too slim and high???
Here is my tram Škoda 05T Vektra. It can help with drawing or placing on position. (I think)

Thank you for very much. This is very helpful.

Thank you for feedback guys. Regards.
Addons:

Václav

That tram is quite nice in real world, mostly that one from Gdańsk - but that one from Szczecin is realy nice too.

I am looking for seeing it in game.

Chybami se člověk učí - ale někteří lidé jsou nepoučitelní

Emil Sawicki

@ave616, first of all: side view of tram should show also the roof. Second, split wagon to sections. Tip: use any template (from other articulated tram) to position your drawing, just drop new vehicles on old position. Remember, that position in game corresponds to position in the template.

Wouldn't you create any addons for pak64? I started my pak64.Poland, but I haven't much time to finish the task. I created few addons: http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=6208.0

Pozdrawiam rodaka!
Simutrans 123, Windows 10

ave616

Quote from: Emil Sawicki on November 29, 2011, 06:37:21 PM
@ave616, first of all: side view of tram should show also the roof. Second, split wagon to sections. Tip: use any template (from other articulated tram) to position your drawing, just drop new vehicles on old position. Remember, that position in game corresponds to position in the template.

Wouldn't you create any addons for pak64? I started my pak64.Poland, but I haven't much time to finish the task. I created few addons: http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=6208.0

Pozdrawiam rodaka!

Thank for tips.

I've been thinking about making some typical polish addons, but I'm rather interested in pak128. Anyway, I think that when I'll finish this Swing, I can try to port it into pak64 size. BTW: I know that you spend time for pak64 addons (I've been using them when playing pak64), but don't you think that pak128 size would be better to make addons and whole new pak?

Quote from: VaclavMacurek on November 29, 2011, 05:26:38 PM
That tram is quite nice in real world, mostly that one from Gdańsk - but that one from Szczecin is realy nice too.

I am looking for seeing it in game.

When I'll finish PESA 120NaS in every view it will be easy to change painting into PESA 120NaG, 120 NaW and others. So you will get also Gdańsk version ;-)
Addons:

Emil Sawicki

Quote from: ave616 on November 29, 2011, 07:40:41 PMdon't you think that pak128 size would be better to make addons and whole new pak?
Vehicles in pak128 can be more detailed, so you're partially right. Details were very problematic when I created my addons. Maybe I should try to draw something simple and well-known to Poles, Germans and Czechs - locomotive SU45 :)
Simutrans 123, Windows 10

ave616

I've got some work, so I had time only for making both side views. Now size and perspective should be good. Making other views will be harder (as you all know), but I'm determined to finish my work ;-)

Is new version better and fit better to other vehicles?

PS:
@TommPa9
I've got problems with drawing pantographs, so instead of "discovering America" I copied your (from 05T). I hope you're not mad ;-)
Addons:

Václav

Now side views are right.
Good luck with next work on it.

Chybami se člověk učí - ale někteří lidé jsou nepoučitelní

TommPa9

Quote from: ave616 on November 30, 2011, 08:30:59 PM
I've got problems with drawing pantographs, so instead of "discovering America" I copied your (from 05T). I hope you're not mad ;-)

Thats OK. No problem.

MHD

Ave,
the tram is really nice for the fist try!
Designers, don't forget to draw CityTrams, too  ;)

ave616

Helo

Today I've finished painting all views. Now I need your help:

@TommPa9
Could you post *.dat file for your Vektra? I would use it as coding template for my Swing.

@MHD
I going to make CityTram version of my tram, but I need positioning template for CityTrams. Have you got something like this?
Addons:

TommPa9

Good Job and here is .dat file. (including smaller "sister" Škoda 03T Astra).

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Yeesh. I've tried to do some pixel art before - I can do some abstract things, but not vehicles or anything like that.... I'm impressed by anyone who can.

These look really nice! :D

Zeno

Hey, that one looks nice indeed! I'm looking forward seeing it running :)

Arkadiusz

This looks very pretty and promising :) Makes me wanna try do paint some of polish stuff by myself... Or maybe you plan to create some of the good old ones Konstal trams by yourself? ;)

Quote from: ave616 on December 04, 2011, 11:33:52 PM
Helo

Today I've finished painting all views. Now I need your help:

@TommPa9
Could you post *.dat file for your Vektra? I would use it as coding template for my Swing.

@MHD
I going to make CityTram version of my tram, but I need positioning template for CityTrams. Have you got something like this?

ave616

@Arkadiusz
If you want to make polish addons, I would be happy. Next I'm going to make train (maybe EN57, or PESA ELF), so Konstals are your ;-) Now, back to work...
Addons:

Arkadiusz

For now, don't worry about my will to do Konstals, as I'm at the beginning of my exam period :) And yeah, classics like EN57, or the ET22 or SM42 are also the things I've been missing the most in my Simutrans games...

Quote from: ave616 on December 05, 2011, 09:59:00 AM
@Arkadiusz
If you want to make polish addons, I would be happy. Next I'm going to make train (maybe EN57, or PESA ELF), so Konstals are your ;-) Now, back to work...

Fabio

Very nice! But please try to make also a player color version (e.g. green to player color 1, blue to player color 2)

ave616

Quote from: fabio on December 05, 2011, 02:13:04 PM
Very nice! But please try to make also a player color version (e.g. green to player color 1, blue to player color 2)

I've already thought about that (already got color scheme), but now I'm fighting with positioning of sprites.
Addons:

DirrrtyDirk

Really nice work. Looking forward to seeing more of it.  ;)

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

greenling

ave616
The Photo from your PESA 120NaS Swing be very nice!
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

ave616

Helo

Here is test version of my tram. I still got problems with positioning and I'll probably change some things. Anyway, this is first playable version of my first addon, ready for testing ;-)

(Different color versions will come after finishing this one.)
Addons:

mEGa

Hi,
My first test is conclusive !
tram looks fine (day and night) and proportions are correct, may be. It runs very good.
Fine work really !
Current projects in progress : improvements of few designed french paks

ave616

Should I post this in addons child board?

Below pak files with sources.

Addons:

Fabio

Awesome!

I propose the player color version to go straight into official pak :)

JP18

ave616

Quote from: fabio on December 09, 2011, 08:13:07 AM
Awesome!

I propose the player color version to go straight into official pak :)

I would be happy to see my work in official pak ;-)

Quote from: JP18 on December 09, 2011, 12:11:12 PM
looking great :) but i cant download it :(

Why? What's wrong?
Addons:

mEGa

Quote from: ave616 on December 09, 2011, 12:33:01 PM
I would be happy to see my work in official pak ;-)

Why? What's wrong?

I Think it's the basic problem about newly download mecanism : "file index.php". It is enough to do downloading the target and rename index.php as <real_name of the pak you want>
Current projects in progress : improvements of few designed french paks

JP18

sdog

good job ave616 JP18 especially on the night version.

edit: fixed a rather embarrassing mistake -- sorry.

ave616

Addons: