News:

Simutrans Chat Room
Where cool people of Simutrans can meet up.

On behalf of a redditor: no Linux SDL?

Started by Isaac Eiland-Hall, December 17, 2011, 04:59:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Link here: http://www.reddit.com/r/freebies/comments/nfqkg/simutrans_a_free_and_open_source_multiplatform/c38s8ls

They report:

The Linux version says the SDL libraries are included, but that doesn't appear to be the case:
sinister:simutrans [1520]$ ./simutrans ./simutrans: error while loading shared libraries: libSDL_mixer-1.2.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory sinister:simutrans [127]$ find -iname "*.so*" sinister:simutrans [1522]$ 

I'm posting crosslinks here and there; but what should we tell them?

I note that the wiki says they're not included; download page on simutrans.com says they are. I'm a Windows dude, so I dunno...

mEGa

Imho, it would be necessary to know the distribution of Linux which he uses and the version of simutrans.
For example, with Ubuntu distribution, the simutrans package needs libsdl-mixer1.2 dependance and solve that when you run installation.

I am just going testing an installation on clean virtual machine with the original package from download page of Simutrans site and I have effectively the problem too :
erro msg :ubuntu:~/Téléchargements/simutrans$ ./simutrans./simutrans: error while loading shared libraries: libSDL_mixer-1.2.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

When I install separately libbsdl-mixer1.2 with package manager, (as old wiki says), simutrans now runs.
Can we tell that sdl mixer library is not included on original linux file zip ?

Current projects in progress : improvements of few designed french paks

VS

SDL is very common, so perhaps it was included by default with the OS, while SDL_mixer not? (Then again, that's popular as well...)

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Isaac Eiland-Hall

From the simutrans.com download page:
QuoteLinux
(with SDL and SDL_mixer included. If lagging, start with "simutrans -nomidi")

To me, that says it includes the two mentioned packages. Is it supposed to mean "You can use this on any Linux that has SDL and SDL_mixer included"? If so, we need to rephrase. If not and the download indeed doesn't come with SDL or SDL_mixer... we need to rephrase. :)

VS

One thing is clear - the download text suggests that this should work out of the box, while it does not. So it's wrong.

I am not the one to actually talk here, since I don't do anything about Simturans on Linux. But I think SDL is statically linked (part of the executable), while the mixer might not be?

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

mEGa

Quote from: Isaac.Eiland-Hall on December 17, 2011, 12:06:34 PM
From the simutrans.com download page:
To me, that says it includes the two mentioned packages. Is it supposed to mean "You can use this on any Linux that has SDL and SDL_mixer included"? If so, we need to rephrase. If not and the download indeed doesn't come with SDL or SDL_mixer... we need to rephrase. :)
I'm remembered my first Simutrans installation... And met the problem of missing library.It wasn't a real problem because I knew this classical case of dependancy. But everybody is not necessarily introduced under Linux.
So I mean that must be rephrase  -as text on wiki by e.g.- and add some explanation that most distribution offer full installation with package manager (sorry for my basic english... You can write a better strings to explain, i'm sure ;) )

Note : it is the same thing with MacOS.... SDL not included in zip file and you must install before (see the documentation)

Quote from: VS on December 17, 2011, 12:29:10 PM
I am not the one to actually talk here, since I don't do anything about Simturans on Linux. But I think SDL is statically linked (part of the executable), while the mixer might not be?
Not at all...  On linux OS. With compiled package by distribution it is right, but if you take the file zip from download page you must before install the SDL library (it is not statically linked).
Why use the file zip from download page vs package of distribution, you ask me ? Because at present most Linux distributions offer the version 110 of Simutrans and not last version : 111.
Thus it can be useful to get the last version from simutrans site and knowing exactly how to install it.

Note :
with package manager, when you choose one of mentioned package, the statically link install the other.
Current projects in progress : improvements of few designed french paks

prissi

We need ideed to rephrase this.

It might as well that Ubuntu deviates from the linux standard base distribution, and avoids SDL, or uses newest 1.4 version. Or it is the classical 32 bit vs. 64 bit, but the last time I checked this gave a different error message.