News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

Help - Factories not connecting properly

Started by Mkat303, December 19, 2011, 06:41:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mkat303

Hi

I'm having trouble connecting a couple of factories (A steel mill and a goods factory) - Both factories are showing as connected in their factory details menu (consumer/supplier) but when I click on the train yard at the steel mill there is no cargo waiting for the goods factory. 
There is a car plant and passenger station connected to the steel mill and a lumber yard to the goods factory all of which work fine and the route is clear.

Is there something I'm missing here?

I am using version Simutrans version 111.0 and pak128 version 2.0

Severous

Welcome to the game and the forum Mkat303.

Have you brought the required coal and iron to the Steel Mill so it can make the steel?

If you have then the next thing is to set up a valid transport route with the correct wagons. Then the steel will appear.

If still stuck then pop the save game here (  http://files.simutrans-germany.com/ ) and post the link and someone will gladly take a look.
Regards
Sev.

Mkat303

Hey thank you!

Yes the steel mill is happily milling away. It is already serving a car factory and I have tried putting the train serving the car factory in the depot to allow the steel to build up to no avail. 

FYI I have passenger stations at both the car factory and steel mill which are working fine

Severous

Could it be that the steel mill station is full.?

No more steel can be added to the existing steel stockpile that is waiting to go to another destination?  If so increase the station storage capacity and that will help (until that spare capacity is also filled up by steel waiting to go elsewhere). Or cart away some of that steel to the other industry to create some space.

Failing that set up a new station that only serves the steel mill to car plant line, stick a lorry or train on that and that should work. Transport, at least one vehicle, must be set up with a route before any steel will appear.

I dont think the passenger connections make much difference (only to the bonus production levels). Having no passenger connections at all will still make loads of steel if all the rest is working.
Regards
Sev.

Mkat303

There is a 300 ton train moving steel from the mill to the car factory so its not over capacity.  I will try building a new station connected to the mill (but not the original station) to the goods factory and let you know how it went. 
Thank you for your input so far.   :)

Severous

The few times ive had a steel plant making steel for two different destinations Ive found it easier to manage the output by having dedicated stations. That way it matters less if one route is blocked (say the destination needs no more steel), the other can carry on merrily.
Regards
Sev.

Mkat303

The steel mill has quite a large station - 3x6 tile platforms so its shouldn't be congested. 

I've just tried adding a vehicle loading bay to the Steel Mill and the Goods Factory as a separate station i.e: Not connected to the existing platforms - still have the same problem. 

On the new stop details is says there is a 'Direct route from here' to the Mill/Factory as it should be but on the new steel mill stop the cargo waiting is only going back to the original Steel Mill station - not to the Goods Factory

Severous

The new station with vehicle should work if there is a route.

The exiting steel made to supply the car plant wont suddenly switch to Goods factory steel.  New steel has to be produced..at which point it is likely to be 50% for car plant and 50% for goods factory.
Regards
Sev.

Mkat303

Nope - there is still no cargo to be picked up at the new station.

I have tried completely destroying the platforms and loading bays at the Steel Mill and starting afresh to no avail.  Next I'm going to try destroying and rebuilding the entire Goods Factory

-----------

OK - Tried destroying the Car Plant and cargo is going to the Goods Factory.  Rebuilt and reconnected the Car Plant and cargo is still only going to the Goods Factory  :-[

sdog

Mkat303, would you mind to provide a savegame, so we can have a look into this?

you can put it on http://files.simutrans-germany.com/ as Severous suggested, or any other file hoster or cloud.

TurfIt

This is a bug when the just_in_time setting is off. Will be fixed shortly...

Mkat303

Fantastic - glad its not me then!  ;D Thanks for looking at it though. Does it require a restart to activate Just in Time?

Mkat303

Looking at my simuconf.tab files though Just_in_time is set to 1 in all three locations (simutrans root, pak128 and my home folder)

TurfIt

just_in_time=0 in the savegame you attached, so it's either been changed, or it was started as such.
Settings in savegames can be changed using the settings dialog. Search for dialog_tool[27] for instructions...

---
As for the bug,  the intention of the distribution behavour is not clear from the comments in the code which are contradictory to the code itself. My best guess is to distribute to the factory with the least % of goods in stock. Done in r5030. Seems to work but I would probably expect a more 'even' distribution to waiting convois.

I can't imagine wanting play with just_in_time off, hence can't foresee how players who do think it should behave. So, how should it?

Mkat303

Excellent - turned on Just_In_Time as you suggested (after learning how to assign the key in menuconfig) and its working fine.

Many Many thanks!

Don't remember turning it off in the first place but there you go

Thanks again!