News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Proposal: Elevated roadway

Started by wlindley, January 27, 2012, 05:55:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wlindley

Very rudimentary, missing all the special graphics, but you can draw straight elevated roadways through a city, for example.  Based on the elevated road in pak64.japan, using the pak128.Britain Concrete Viaduct graphics.

zip file with .dat and playable .pak

Is this worth my drawing the remainder of the graphics?

ӔO

I think I could produce the 3D files for the diagonals, radials, slopes and pillars for this. They would just need some paint.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

jamespetts

We could do with one of these - an excellent idea!
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Fabio

Pak128 has elevated roads for some time, now. You might be interested to check them.

ӔO

Okay, so I have come up with these:

- The table like thing at the bottom left is an archway that I thought might be useful for early cut and cover.
- One set is for city, which has a sidewalk. There are two variations of the curve and diagonal, because I'm not sure which is better in game.
- Other set is for freeway/highway and only has barriers. I'm not sure if curved and 4-way intersection is necessary, but I've included it anyway.
- The pillars should be interchangeable.

That
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Road_elevated_ways_3D.rar

Colour safe chart:

Junna

I would like to suggest that the motorway-style elevated section should have the sharp turns and not the "gentler" bends, because it looks better with as an on-ramp. The gentler bend is preferable for elevated city-road with a side-walk.

jamespetts

Interesting indeed! The cut and cover version, I think, would need the arches at the sides filled in. Alternatively, the inner faces of artificial slopes could be textured with brick arches in the style of the photograph in the Underground thread instead of the current generic earth-like texture shown in the below picture:

Since artificial slopes are, by definition, artificial, that would seem to make sense.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

The Hood

Elevated way versions of the bridges are planned (see the bridges thread), only I'm getting a little bored of bridges so will probably take a break from them once I've uploaded all the latest ones (I'm just doing some rough balancing). If anyone else wants to use the images to create elevated ways, that's great. I can also upload all the blends I have used so far if people want to work from them.

ӔO

@james
the beauty of the 4-way arch, is that the sides are hidden, so it looks like a regular arch with decorative indentations on the sides.

Colour safe chart:

jamespetts

Perhaps the best way to do it is as suggested with the inside of the artificial slope graphics, then.

kierongreen

Problem is out in the middle of the countryside a brick retaining wall may look out of place.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Maybe it should be brick inside city limits... :)

jamespetts

Hmm, out in the middle of the countryside, vertical embankments would look rather out of place generally, I think - it's more likely that people will use the (cheaper) raise/lower land tools in the countryside than the more expensive but more space efficient artificial slopes, is it not?

kierongreen