News:

SimuTranslator
Make Simutrans speak your language.

[New way] Cast iron track

Started by jamespetts, May 30, 2012, 01:54:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamespetts

Having done some research for various different types and weights of tracks, I have found a type of track not yet represented in Pak128.Britain - the cast iron track. Adjusting the .png file from the plateway seems to give an acceptable image for tracks of this type. See below for the .img file:

Edit: Fixed the link to the image.

and here for the .dat file.

Translation texts are as follows:

cast_iron_track
Cast Iron Track

Note, however, that the track on the Liverpool and Manchester was actually wrought iron "fishbelly" track. A possible alternative translation is therefore:

cast_iron_track
Fish-belly Track

The research comes from here.

I also suggest modifying the wrought iron track as in this .dat file.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

The Hood

jamespetts

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

wlindley

At first I had reservations but now this seems to fit the gameplay -- The "Rocket" engine for example is available 1829 until October 1835 and has a top speed of 48 km/h, but now until February 1835, the only track available is the cast iron track with a top speed of 27km/h.  The "Planet" is available 1830 - 1839 with a top speed of 59km/h but for its first half decade will be limited to 27km/h ... Those top speeds are mostly theoretical anyway, I suppose. In my previous 1830 game, a Planet pulling nine passenger carriages routinely averages 38km/h, with a line of two trains pulling in 15,000.00 a month... so the lower speeds would probably make these first few years more realistic.  Cheers.

The Hood

May I ask how you created this? I'm looking to include this and the plateway but it needs half height slopes. I was thinking a simple recolouration of the existing tracks would do the trick, but the sleepers/rails are different. Any chance of some half-height graphics?

jamespetts

I think that it was re-coloured from the plateway .png if that helps at all (it seems to have had its saturation and lightness reduced). I can't remember exactly what I did now, as it was some time ago - sorry!

The Hood

Hmm, that was done by Inkelyad, and I'm not sure how. I might investigate other ways to adapt the existing ways to look more like those and therefore have half heights. Unfortunately making tracks that tile nicely with existing ones is a nightmare in blender, but my GIMP layer strategy is working nicely for bridges and elevated ways...

greenling

Hello
The new Cast iron track looks good out.
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

The Hood

OK, so I've done an update to include half heights and ended up recolouring the images. This is what I came up with:

The brown one on top is the replacement for the plateway (max 15km/h in standard - horse only really)
The next is a cast iron track (max 30km/h in standard, so just about up to the Rocket)
The bottom one is the existing wrought iron track.

greenling

Cool. The Hood You have make good job.
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

jamespetts

I much prefer the new colours - a great improvement!