News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

Minecraft

Started by colonyan, June 03, 2012, 07:50:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IgorEliezer

It's official, Minecraft is a joke, an expensive one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2We5sLDVrw (parody video) XD

This part got me:
Quote1.8 release lagged so much for players... We [Mojang] have been coding this game for years and one guy in his bedroom [a community member who coded Optifine] makes the game playable.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

I play Minetest a lot more than I play Minecraft, but partly because my old machine barely runs Minecraft, but runs Minetest pretty well. I like the LotR subgame (technically I think it's Lord of the Test of somesuch)

gauthier

Quote from: Isaac.Eiland-Hall on February 13, 2015, 02:21:18 PM
I play Minetest
How did I not know about this before ? I am testing this right now !

Isaac Eiland-Hall

I was halfway through explaining the concept of a Minetest game when I realized I can use Simutrans. hehe.

So, Minecraft is like Simutrans+pak64 rolled into one. You can get mods, but it's a complete game as-is.

Minetest comes with a default game that's like a very very very minimal pak - one truck, one train, etc etc. So you have to download games or subgames (both mean the same) from the forum. Best one that runs on my old computer is Carbone. There's some others that probably rock, but don't run on my old machine very well, so I don't know.

Right now, some of them generate odd terrain because there was a recent update to terrain generation (v7), but even using older (v6) for Lord of the Test game puts trees ~2-3 blocks underground, so it's more like bushes. Weird. But will probably eventually be fixed.

The community is small like ours, so sometimes progress is slow :)

An_dz

Minetest has evolved a lot, when this discussion started it was really barebone, now it's complete and has an amazing performance, way better than Minecraft. From the times I tried Minecraft I could only use texture packs with maximum size of 64 and using Optifine. This lack of performance and the high price tag always kept me away from buying it.

With Minetest I installed the 256 version of BDcraft and it's running completely smooth.

IgorEliezer

This modded Minecraft world screams "SIMUTRANS":

Isaac Eiland-Hall

That's pretty amazing.